• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cottonwood Pass; paved or not?

MountainRyder

Hello Colorado Riders:

We've long wanted to ride Cottonwood pass from Buena Vista to Gunnison on our wethead, but always understood the last 10 miles or so are not paved and can be loose gravel. Last week my wife overheard some women saying that it was 100% paved now. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

That's great, thank you! I never considered wikipedia for that kind of information, but I will going forward.

Try Google 'Steetview'. Beautiful scenery and lots of curves. I rode it once and was raining in the higher areas - still a great little ride.

Try Google 'Steetview'. Beautiful scenery and lots of curves. I rode it once and was raining in the higher areas - still a great little ride.

I actually did and perhaps the map is out of date, but it appeared to be gravel still on the west end. We'll try to ride it here in the next weeks, very much looking forward to it.

It appears to be freshly paved. If this won't answer your question it will at least make you carsick :)

https://youtu.be/sdyHtrZlJ08

I'm putting Cottonwood on my hit list now.

That looks great, but also looks like it just got paved. The video is only a month old and you can see that there's no stripping yet, the asphalt looks very fresh and there's work crews he had to accommodate.

Thanks for posting that video!

Hi Everyone:

Can confirm, cottonwood pass is paved and WONDERFUL! :thumb Truly amazing, if you live here; ride it! If you're coming this way for a riding holiday, put it on your list.

20190928_154938.jpg

Thanks for the update! And nice picture! Some nice switchbacks to get that viewpoint. :thumb

Great photo!
I'm sad however to see that the west side paved over now as it was always cool to ride the dirt roads out there.... YMMV

Back