Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are there amber lenses for the BMW Aux driving lights? R1200RTW

Are there amber lenses for the BMW Aux driving lights? R1200RTW

Hello all.

I have been noticing that some folks on the road are running amber lights on their auxillary driving lights. It really catches my eye. I have the aux driving lights installed and am looking for amber lenses that I could install over the light housing.

Does anyone know if a product like this exists?

If not anyone know how to make the OEM Aux lights apprear amber for greater conspicuity?

I wasnít aware that their was factory aux lights, all I have ever scene is aftermarket if thatís the case yes covers are available for most. Look closely at lights and try to determine who manufactures them

Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    I wasnít aware that their was factory aux lights, all I have ever scene is aftermarket if thatís the case yes covers are available for most. Look closely at lights and try to determine who manufactures them
    You can see the OEM Aux driving lights in Jeff's picture. They are the small white ones mounted down low by the cylinders.

Thanks Jeff. I am aware that Clearwater and Denali make lights for the RT. I am looking for an amber lens for the OEM lights. If such a thing exists it should be under $100 for the pair.

Quote Originally Posted by uturn View Post
    Thanks Jeff. I am aware that Clearwater and Denali make lights for the RT. I am looking for an amber lens for the OEM lights. If such a thing exists it should be under $100 for the pair.
    I suggest that you consider opening your wallet and go for Clearwaters, either Ericas or smaller (less expensive) ones. If you really want conspicuity, do that.

Little amber filters over the small OEM lights do little for your conspicuity. Indeed you could make that by wrapping yellow cellophane of your little lights and zip-tie it on. Cost? Negligible.
    Last edited by bmwdean; 09-18-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    Jeff Dean

Have not seen any amber lens or covers for the stock BMW lights.

While Clearwater lights are great and I have the Darlas with yellow lens covers on my RT there are some very good less expensive alternatives. You might want to check out the Denali DM2's are small but are super bright and do a great job adding to conspicuity. They can be had with amber lens.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/dena...dim-technology

If going with Clearwaters you can do well with Darlas as they are excellent for daytime conspicuity.

Some guys have also tried adding clear film to the BMW lights.
    https://www.lamin-x.com/customer-gal...lm/hqdefault_1
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

I've never heard of covers for the stock aux lights, so I just put a couple of yellow Lamin-X discs over them. https://www.lamin-x.com/universal-fi...lm-covers.html. Works great. The stock lights have an odd bump in the middle which makes fitting the sheets difficult, but gently warming the sheets with a heat gun workd well to get them to sit flush.
    MOA#: 218327
    2019 R1250RT, Mars Red
    Retired: 2002 Kawasaki VN750; 1989 Kawasaki KLR650, 1980 Yamaha DT175

Nothing wrong with the OEM lights. Lamin-X will work just fine.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Quote Originally Posted by uturn View Post
    Ö I have been noticing that some folks on the road are running amber lights on their auxillary driving lights. It really catches my eye. Ö
    Don't have an opinion about your specific lights, but your observation and decision to use amber front aux lighting is spot on! Here's my story:

Twenty or so years ago I was riding in Southern California (coming from San Ysidro), headed north on one of the area's superfreeways (bunch of lanes of heavy, fast traffic moving in a dense formation). I was "leading the pack" when I noticed in my mirrors that among the sea of white headlights (cars, trucks, etc.) the only sight that caught my eye were two amber/yellow lights in that sea of white. It was two CHiPs on BMWs riding in tight formation and weaving through the crowd in pursuit of me (so I thought). Turns out they were not after me, but simply moving rather quickly up the road to an accident scene a few miles north. The lesson I took away from that experience: I gotta have those lights! As soon as I got back home I installed amber aux lights on my bike, and I have used them ever since. Don't recall having a driver pull in front of me since then.

Get the yellow lights installed and you will be safer. Not bulletproof, but safer.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by grumpysquatch View Post
    I've never heard of covers for the stock aux lights, so I just put a couple of yellow Lamin-X discs over them. https://www.lamin-x.com/universal-fi...lm-covers.html. Works great. The stock lights have an odd bump in the middle which makes fitting the sheets difficult, but gently warming the sheets with a heat gun workd well to get them to sit flush.
    Thanks. I just placed my order with them, for my BMW auxiliary lights.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

I used the amber Clearwater covers from their smallest light. These fit over my GTL auxiliary lights. A little sticky body caulk and they have never fallen off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mlheck; 09-19-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Jeff Dean

I just put their yellow laminate over the BMW auxiliary lights on my wethead GS. I took their round laminate product and transferred this to a piece of paper. I cut that out and compared it with the BMW light. I used a pen to mark where it needed to be made smaller. I then transferred that to the laminate product, which still had paper covers on both sides (actually two round covers face to face). I cut out the laminate, actually two at once, and applied them to the lights. Not a perfect installation, but plenty good enough, plenty yellow.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

I used stained glass spray paint on the fog lights on my GSA. It worked great and is lasting well. You can control the intensity of the tint with multiple coats. I sprayed four coats.

....and it comes in many tints =>

https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K09034.../dp/B01JN7GE8W
    Attached Images Attached Images