• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Are there amber lenses for the BMW Aux driving lights? R1200RTW

uturn

Hello all.

I have been noticing that some folks on the road are running amber lights on their auxillary driving lights. It really catches my eye. I have the aux driving lights installed and am looking for amber lenses that I could install over the light housing.

Does anyone know if a product like this exists?

If not anyone know how to make the OEM Aux lights apprear amber for greater conspicuity?

I wasn’t aware that their was factory aux lights, all I have ever scene is aftermarket if that’s the case yes covers are available for most. Look closely at lights and try to determine who manufactures them

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/products/erica-r1200rt

ericas-bright.jpg

I wasn’t aware that their was factory aux lights, all I have ever scene is aftermarket if that’s the case yes covers are available for most. Look closely at lights and try to determine who manufactures them

You can see the OEM Aux driving lights in Jeff's picture. They are the small white ones mounted down low by the cylinders.

Thanks Jeff. I am aware that Clearwater and Denali make lights for the RT. I am looking for an amber lens for the OEM lights. If such a thing exists it should be under $100 for the pair.

I suggest that you consider opening your wallet and go for Clearwaters, either Ericas or smaller (less expensive) ones. If you really want conspicuity, do that.

Little amber filters over the small OEM lights do little for your conspicuity. Indeed you could make that by wrapping yellow cellophane of your little lights and zip-tie it on. Cost? Negligible.

Last edited:
Have not seen any amber lens or covers for the stock BMW lights.

While Clearwater lights are great and I have the Darlas with yellow lens covers on my RT there are some very good less expensive alternatives. You might want to check out the Denali DM2's are small but are super bright and do a great job adding to conspicuity. They can be had with amber lens.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-dm-2-0-led-trioptic-led-light-kit-with-datadim-technology

If going with Clearwaters you can do well with Darlas as they are excellent for daytime conspicuity.

Some guys have also tried adding clear film to the BMW lights.
https://www.lamin-x.com/customer-gallery/tint-fog-light-tint-film/hqdefault_1

… I have been noticing that some folks on the road are running amber lights on their auxillary driving lights. It really catches my eye. …

Don't have an opinion about your specific lights, but your observation and decision to use amber front aux lighting is spot on! Here's my story:

Twenty or so years ago I was riding in Southern California (coming from San Ysidro), headed north on one of the area's superfreeways (bunch of lanes of heavy, fast traffic moving in a dense formation). I was "leading the pack" when I noticed in my mirrors that among the sea of white headlights (cars, trucks, etc.) the only sight that caught my eye were two amber/yellow lights in that sea of white. It was two CHiPs on BMWs riding in tight formation and weaving through the crowd in pursuit of me (so I thought). Turns out they were not after me, but simply moving rather quickly up the road to an accident scene a few miles north. The lesson I took away from that experience: I gotta have those lights! As soon as I got back home I installed amber aux lights on my bike, and I have used them ever since. Don't recall having a driver pull in front of me since then.

Get the yellow lights installed and you will be safer. Not bulletproof, but safer.

Good luck.

I used the amber Clearwater covers from their smallest light. These fit over my GTL auxiliary lights. A little sticky body caulk and they have never fallen off.
699f08b40fe4d15c74ef0ff8a89d0852.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
e7ef3ebc358c585f4f8bfcee306adab5.jpg

Last edited:
<iframe width="946" height="532" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gxn9RwLWkNk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just put their yellow laminate over the BMW auxiliary lights on my wethead GS. I took their round laminate product and transferred this to a piece of paper. I cut that out and compared it with the BMW light. I used a pen to mark where it needed to be made smaller. I then transferred that to the laminate product, which still had paper covers on both sides (actually two round covers face to face). I cut out the laminate, actually two at once, and applied them to the lights. Not a perfect installation, but plenty good enough, plenty yellow.

I suggest that you consider opening your wallet and go for Clearwaters, either Ericas or smaller (less expensive) ones. If you really want conspicuity, do that.

Little amber filters over the small OEM lights do little for your conspicuity. Indeed you could make that by wrapping yellow cellophane of your little lights and zip-tie it on. Cost? Negligible.

Agree on this one , the clearwaters darlas on my last 3 bikes . It makes a big difference in day time riding .
This is just a better way to go . We all like saving money but the clearwaters are clearly a better option here.

Mike

Back