• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help-r1100s (2004)

nachtaluci

NEED HELP! 2004 R1100S-46K

HARD STARTING PROBLEM. CRANKS BUT DOES NOT START....Eventually does.

Here is what I have done-so far

*Pulled all the plugs and checked-no oil fouling-looked fine.
*Checked coils-all are working fine (replaced RT side-with new one).
*Checked injectors-spraying/working fine.
*I changed out the starter.
*I checked the throttle cable-made sure it was seated-both sides.
*Cleaned air box and air filter, cleaned throttle bodies.
*Checked battery-it tested fine, 12.8 Volts.
*Did a compression test-left side 210, right side 190
*Replaced fuel filter
* I disconnected the loop for the emissions canister-taking away the pressure in the gas tank.
*No leaks, strange noises, etc. When it does eventually start it runs like it was brand new. Idles fine and is smooth through all the gears, no hesitation or loss of power. Valves were adjusted at 39K

Any thoughts from anyone would be SUPER helpful. What am I missing?
THANK YOU!

test for a spark while the starter is cranking or if you have a timing light see if that strobes when hooked up to a power source and the clip on a plug wire. Maybe the HES (hall effect sensor) which triggers the actual spark is broken.

If you have a access to another starter, try swapping.
I had one with the same issue. Turned out to be the starter dragging the voltage too low for reliable operation of the motronic.

OK-Will Do plugs and check valves again. The starter is new (One week) and replaced the stock one as it was making a strange news when I stopped starting...if that makes sense! I do have access to a timing light and will check that-will be tearing it apart this weekend.....again.

THANK YOU-Will let you all know how it goes. I did call the dealer (Max BMW) and their only suggestion was bad gas...which it is not.

Any other ideas/suggestions I welcome.

-Marc

Won't start with the sidestand down. Of course that switch could be bad so it won't start in any position.

Three ideas if the earlier suggestions don’t help:
1. Have you tried holding the throttle open a bit? It may be that your fast idle lever doesn’t open the throttle enough.

2. Does your bike have a 2nd Load Relay? This is a relay to power the stick coils. If you don’t have that relay, check the voltage drop across the key switch. Without that relay, on your bike, three coils draw their current through the key, the drop can get quite large as the switch wears.

3. Does it start harder when hot, or cold or all the time? Maybe your oil temperature sensor (or air temp) is defective.

My '01 R1100S was very hard to start if temp below 75 degrees. Ran great once going. Took many attempts at cranking to get it to fire. I bought a GS-911 and got fault code for faulty temp sensor. Bought a used one on eBay, installed it tonight. Bike fire first crank, and the fault code is gone.

I too, did valves, plugs, wires, TB balance, battery and bought a used starter just hadn't installed it.

Find someone with a GS-911 to check it.

Back