• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW's Too top heavy for older riders?

Well, if'in ya don't need all the bells & whistles ?.....aren't the old [naked] airheads right around 500 pounds ?

Known reliability , enough HP , simplicity in motion, and IMO still look good.

Yep If memory serves my 82 R100RT was 520 lbs. about 70 HP....a wimp in todays horse power wars. Such low HP is good only for short grocery runs????? Not a bike for long distance! !!! You have to have at least 120HP and 10 inches of ground clearance to go anywhere!!!

Yep If memory serves my 82 R100RT was 520 lbs. about 70 HP....a wimp in todays horse power wars. Such low HP is good only for short grocery runs????? Not a bike for long distance! !!! You have to have at least 120HP and 10 inches of ground clearance to go anywhere!!!

Honestly, it's amazing that you can get anywhere with only one drive wheel...........................

Shhh.....don't tell any of my old airheads that......they didn't know.

That would be fine if wind protection wasn't one of your priorities. Also, no luggage. That's going to add at least 20 lbs. More if you want a top box.

It has a windshield, and 20 lbs?....still light, IMO.

It's like everything else...ya need to decide what fits ones needs....

But at 100.7 HP 494 lbs.....if only it wasn't a Honda......:dunno

Well, if'in ya don't need all the bells & whistles ?.....aren't the old [naked] airheads right around 500 pounds ?

Known reliability , enough HP , simplicity in motion, and IMO still look good.

My 1986 R80G/SPD weighs 425 pounds, but that is not with a full 9.5 gallon tank.

I would like to see BMW use the 310 platform to create a new 620 twin around 450 lbs and make around 60 hp with a fat mid range torque curve.

That would make it just about the equivalent of my Honda CB500X. :wave

I was attending a BMWMOA nationals back around 2000. One of the featured bikes was the K1200LT. I was a mid forties, healthy, 6'2" 200 lb guy. I thought it was pretty cool. They were on display to sit on and ride. I set on one, whoa big! Yep, too big for me. A little later BMWNA was giving rides; they were lining up. A couple pulled up next to me,
I recognised Sandy Cohen, President of the MOA sitting on the back and her husband in front. Just sittin there waiting, she sees me watching. She says 'What do Ya think.' I really didn't know what to say. Finally answered, 'Big.' She nodded and they were gone. A few months later I was at at the Missouri State Rally. A young strapping guy camped by me was riding one. He was proud as a peacock of his new bike.

At the end of the rally I watched him ride down to the rally HQ. He came to a stop and dropped the bike. He could'nt pick it up. A couple of guys came over and helped him right the bike. Yep, to big for me. BMW makes several bikes to big for me.

At the end of the rally I watched him ride down to the rally HQ. He came to a stop and dropped the bike. He could'nt pick it up. A couple of guys came over and helped him right the bike. Yep, to big for me. BMW makes several bikes to big for me.

You have to know how to pick up a large bike. This video shows how it's done . . .

Which one's are you thinking about here. I'm interested.

I bought a '19 S1000R... put handlebar risers on it, windscreen and bags..... got a sport/tourer that will do 9 sec. 1/4miles and even has cruise control.... at 440 lbs.

Last edited:
Top Heavy

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same thoughts. I'm past sixty and lately have begun thinking it's time to downsize. Twice as of late my R1100RT, which I really like, has started to tip and been a real back straining exercise to get it upright. It's 500+ pounds that just wants to very quickly fall over.The newer BMWs, past the airheads, seem to be designed to be top heavy. Mine certainly is, especially with a full tank of gas. Just a few degrees past vertical, and they just want to go right on down. All it takes is a mishap with the kickstand, some loose gravel under foot, too sharp a slow turn, and you've got a real problem with this big thing laying on the ground, probably with several very expensive plastic parts broken. Much as I like my bike, I think I am ready to shift to a much smaller, easier to maneuver (and possible pick up) machine. I don't know how you ever get those fully loaded GS models off the dirt by yourself. I don't recall my 1976 R60 having this problem. Is it just BMW that likes to put all the weight high up, or are they all like that now?

After 25 years or so of R100s I bought a K1600 GTL. I had a couple of years off riding with knee replacement surgery and was drawn to the K1600 because of the low seat height. I'm 5'6", 155 pounds and 72 years old and have always felt that most BMW's were too tall for guys my height. The K1600 is damn heavy and damn top heavy. Initially, it scared the s**t out of me and I dropped the thing 10 times in slow and stop situations. I didn't give up however. I got lowering kits for the suspension and seat and got it so that I could flat foot it when stopped. The problem wasn't so much the top heavy nature of the beast but that I couldn't stabilize the thing up on my tip toes especially on slopes, gravel or wet conditions. In addition, with such a heavy bike you have to be careful when navigating parking lots etc that you don't get stuck trying to pull the thing back up any kind of a slope from a stop. I've picked the bike up by myself more times than I care to count but it isn't getting any easier and definitely nothing like the old airheads which I probably only dropped twice in 25 years. My point, if there is one, is that being able to get your feet down and stabilizing the bike is more important than the bike being top heavy. My dealer sells both BMWs and Indians. The Indian Scout with it's 25.8 inch seat height is now looking mighty attractive compared to most BMW's with seat heights over 31 inches. BMW has never been short rider friendly and as I age I am liking less and less the prospect of hiking up a 750 pound bike because I couldn't stand there and keep it vertical. I'm thinking that for most of us, lower and not necessarily lighter, is the key.

That would be fine if wind protection wasn't one of your priorities. Also, no luggage. That's going to add at least 20 lbs. More if you want a top box.

I would just use the Mosko Moto Backcountry bags I have on my Honda Rally...easily transferred to the Africa Twin and not very heavy.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any plans to change in the near future as I still love riding my 2015 R1200 RT and I have no issues handling the weight. However, it would be hard to "downsize" to the BMW F850GS, when it weighs almost 40 lbs more than the Honda and makes less power. Plus, I have a local Honda dealer and the BMW dealer is 3 hours away.

I would just use the Mosko Moto Backcountry bags I have on my Honda Rally...easily transferred to the Africa Twin and not very heavy.

I tested a set of Mosko’s Backcountry bags as part of my Always an Adventure column.... when they were first introduced. (See my pic showing Punkin down earlier in this thread... I was “crash testing” them!!). They are and exceptionally good product.

However, you’re going to be surprised, when I weighed a set of them + the required mounting hardware, the difference between them and Jesse Luggage hard bags + mounts was just over 5 pounds. I was truly amazed.

Ian

I tested a set of Mosko’s Backcountry bags as part of my Always an Adventure column.... when they were first introduced. (See my pic showing Punkin down earlier in this thread... I was “crash testing” them!!). They are and exceptionally good product.

However, you’re going to be surprised, when I weighed a set of them + the required mounting hardware, the difference between them and Jesse Luggage hard bags + mounts was just over 5 pounds. I was truly amazed.

Ian

Yes, they were a bit heavier than I expected, but I guess high quality ain't light. Ha! Personally, I would never have hard bags on a bike that I ride off pavement. With the MM bags on my Honda Rally, when it goes down, no harm, no foul, no dents and no broken ankles/feet. :)

Back