• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW's Too top heavy for older riders?

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Voni
sMiling

My lament is BMW has seemingly forgotten out how to make lighter bikes.

The mid displacement, lighter weight, less costly market is not only important to us older riders, younger riders are much more cost sensitive.

Yes While BMW is addressing the market well with the 310 but when I went to look at these I also looked at the KTM 390. A bit lighter, a bit more power and very good suspension...so I got the KTM 390.

When I first moved away from to heavy, top-heavy RTs I bought a F650 (800cc) twin. Spent a lot upgrading both the front and rear suspension, 50k miles. A good but not great bike.

But BMW's new mid size bikes are both taller(as tall) and heavier than the old 800cc models. They are only 20 or 30 lbs lighter than the R1200/R1250 and give up much in performance.

KTM seems to have found a way to have great suspensions, very good power, much less weight. Yes 790 is taller than I wish. Maybe I can find suspension mods that will drop in an inch or two.

There are other mid range bike that are a LOT cheaper than BMWs, weight the same or in most cases less. They increasingly offer better suspensions, performance, very much narrowing the performance gap to BMW.

That is my BMW lament

My lament is BMW has seemingly forgotten out how to make lighter bikes.

The mid displacement, lighter weight, less costly market is not only important to us older riders, younger riders are much more cost sensitive.

Yes While BMW is addressing the market well with the 310 but when I went to look at these I also looked at the KTM 390. A bit lighter, a bit more power and very good suspension...so I got the KTM 390.

When I first moved away from to heavy, top-heavy RTs I bought a F650 (800cc) twin. Spent a lot upgrading both the front and rear suspension, 50k miles. A good but not great bike.

But BMW's new mid size bikes are both taller(as tall) and heavier than the old 800cc models. They are only 20 or 30 lbs lighter than the R1200/R1250 and give up much in performance.

KTM seems to have found a way to have great suspensions, very good power, much less weight. Yes 790 is taller than I wish. Maybe I can find suspension mods that will drop in an inch or two.

There are other mid range bike that are a LOT cheaper than BMWs, weight the same or in most cases less. They increasingly offer better suspensions, performance, very much narrowing the performance gap to BMW.

That is my BMW lament

One forthcoming option to keep an eye on is Honda’s smaller Africa Twin, rumored to be a 750-800cc. If it ends up having a low suspension option and forward trunk like the NC-750X, it would be a very attractive package. Big “if”, though.

What about the R1250RS? I just noticed them and with cases it seems like it would be a good, if not great, sport-touring mount.

What about the R1250RS? I just noticed them and with cases it seems like it would be a good, if not great, sport-touring mount.

Yes it is. I've had the R1200RS version since May of 2016 and love it. The R1250RS has several tweeks to improve it beyond the more power and torque. It is significantly lower C of G and weighs substantially less than an RT. I've added 1 bar risers and foot peg lowering kit to help unfold my 73 year old body. I also put on a little wider, not higher, wind screen to help with rain management.

The only thing that would be better would be a version that would be 50-75 lbs lighter. I'd be more than willing to accept 90-100hp engine but would want to keep the excellent suspension and features.

I never paid any attention to the RS because I simply hated that asymmetric headlight but the redesign is a whole different thing. I really like it.

Back