Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW's Too top heavy for older riders?

I switched from RTs to a plain R mainly to keep the weight down. I have had to pick it up three times. Once I was alone and with good footing, I picked it up, but it was right at the edge of what I could do. One time, I was in a group and 2 or 3 other bikes stopped to pick it up before I even got off it. The third time, it was on a cobbled city street and a driver stopped before I had time to think about it. All three were zero speed drops, well the first one wasn't exactly (longer story there).
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green 1987 R100RT Grey 1970 R60/5 Black 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

I know this is heresy, butt.....

... BMW makes nothing like the Honda CB500X. At 425 pounds and 55-ish HP, it is an excellent steed. As long as you don’t want to cruise at 90mph, it will take you anywhere you want to go.

I store mine at Stefan Knopf’s in Heidelberg, Germany. Earlier this year, I rode it 9,000 km through Germany, Italy, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Croatia, Slovenia and Austria.

A most excellent motorcycle.

Ian

Attached Images Attached Images
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

[QUOTE=Visian;1179290]... BMW makes nothing like the Honda CB500X. At 425 pounds and 55-ish HP, it is an excellent steed. As long as you dont want to cruise at 90mph, it will take you anywhere you want to go.

I store mine at Stefan Knopfs in Heidelberg, Germany. Earlier this year, I rode it 9,000 km through Germany, Italy, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Croatia, Slovenia and Austria.

A most excellent motorcycle.

Ian
    Yes and very popular. I tried to purchase one on St. Louis back August and nothing available at the dealer. Only thing he could do was suggest ordering a 2020 but I didnt wish to wait so went with the Niner....

I read these threads with an eye for a replacement for my R1200R. Been riding for 52 years, but the "R" has become a bit ungainly. I do have the low seat, BTW. The Honda shows promise.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    In 2018 we rode our 310s from Texas to Washington to New Mexico to Des Moines to New Mexico to Duluth to New Mexico. And local riding. In 2019 we rode New Mexico to Tenessee and then Virginia and back to New Mexico and then to Nakusp, BC and back. Indeed a person can tour on a 310.

I use to tour on a Honda 305 Scrambler back in the day.

Bill

John, I've yet to drop my f700gs - I'm new to riding and bought the bike used 3,000 miles ago. But I can surely say that as a novice rider, and according to oodles of opines I've read... the 700 is super easy to ride and keep upright. It may be tougher to hoist from the ground (than a top-heavy bike - physics??), but it is less likely to get there to begin with.

Ian - awesome video, thanks for sharing. Some day, God willing!

Dan

Our first bike was a Yamaha RD250. And we toured to Canada on it TWO UP!

Voni
    sMiling in rememberance
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

It truly is amazing how we motorcyclists (humans) have evolved. When I was 16 I could go anywhere on 160 cc's. As I and the motorcycle industry "matured" it took 360 cc's, then 750, 1,000, 1,100, 1,200 even 1,800 to meet my expectations. Now I'm going the other way, but enjoying it as much as when I was that 16 year old. Doing a "750" (F-GS) now, which in BMW measurements is actually 853. However, the point that Paul and Voni make it quite valid...even more enjoyable IMHO.
    F850GSA

MOA #46783

I have been saying for years, " bigger is not always better".
    900cc and under 450 lbs bikes are great too.
    Coming from a rider of a RD350 many years ago with a wixom type fairing. When machines 750 and 1000 were just starting out.
    Last edited by EUGENE; 09-18-2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: addition

Nick Kennedy
    Jconway

Don't give up, your too young!
    There are many awesome cool bikes out there that meet your needs, The BMW310 and that Honda both look real good to me.
    I get what your saying about to much weight and top heaviness...
    You don't need a large displacement bike to have a ton of fun.

I'm the opposite of what most people say. I feel that my '07 R1200RT is easier to move around in the garage compared to my '13 F800GS... probably due to the wider bars and different center of mass.

The RT is easier to pick up with the Ztecnik head protection bars and the HEED rear bag protection bars as both prevent the bike from getting all the way over on its side.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

You mention it hurting your back. One of the toughest adaptations I had to do due to back problems is learning to ONLY hold the bike up with my legs. The reflex is to pull the handlebars to stabilise - de training for this was key for me. Once I learned to only use my legs (and thighs) weight became a non issue. Hope Im being helpful

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    Yes and very popular. I tried to purchase one on St. Louis back August and nothing available at the dealer. Only thing he could do was suggest ordering a 2020 but I didnt wish to wait so went with the Niner....
    Walt - what is a Niner? (Guessing R9T?)

JohnWC
    A lot of good ideas, which I appreciate. As a note, I spent some time yesterday slowly going through a local, very large motorcycle dealership. It was an education. I tried many bikes by standing beside them and trying to simply get them off the center stand. The rows of Harleys were a very tough move. I didn't even attempt the monster Japanese cruisers like the Vaquero. Huge. A Honda ST1300, that's got some heft. The Gold Wings are just massive. If they went down, you better hope to have two or three strong people around. I guess a lot of people must love heavy machines, but I agree with a lot of opinions here: lighter, smaller bikes are not only practical, but also fun to ride. I'm intrigued by the BMW 310. It appears to be a great choice, especially at 374 pounds. Of course for all around usefulness, the larger scooters seem to be the best. I could go back to airheads, but I think I'm done with those. I am currently working to get a K75S back on the road. Whether it is better weight distribution wise remains to be seen. It seems better sitting there. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Walt - what is a Niner? (Guessing R9T?)
    Yes, there is five models of the R9T.