Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW's Too top heavy for older riders?

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    The polite term is little people
    Haha. I prefer "tiny, midget-like humanoid" myself thank you very much!

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

[QUOTE=pappy35;1183676]Yeah. There's a Harley with a seat height in that range but it's not a tourer. The DCT700 also has a rediculously low seat and only weighs 500 pounds but that's a whole different bike being more akin to a scooter than a touring machine.

I've sat on the new Gold Wings and though they are lower than the RT the seats are a lot wider so for me (short leg syndrome) it's about the same ground reach as my factory lowered Camhead. The bike weighs 200 pounds more (more or less) but having reverse negates the greater weight for most situations in my opinion. If you drop it, well that could be trouble depending on your strength. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to ride one.[/QUOTE

Well, back in the day when the R1100RS came out, 1994 or thereabouts if memory serves me correctly, I couldn't wait to get to the dealers and plop down my savings to ride something that was a BMW, smooth, powerful and ideal for touring. I went to the dealers and he pointed out a nice red one in the show room. It was sitting there on its center stand and when I threw my leg over it I couldn't touch the floor and when I put it down off the center stand I could just tip toe it. Now, I'm a short legged guy but, no matter, why can't we get something out of BMW that a rider under 6 feet can feel comfortable on? Just asking. The answer is that those stubborn Germans don't see a need to accommodate riders under 6 feet tall not to mention female riders. Too bad really because my dealer now carries Indians and almost every Indian in the showroom let's me sit on it and comfortably put my feet down without making me feel like I'm straddling a chain link fence. HD, Indian and Victory (and even the metric cruisers) are popular partly because the riders can handle the bikes at any speed without having to stand on their toes (and some of them are really heavy). IMHO.

[QUOTE=FELAW;1183702]
    Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    Yeah. There's a Harley with a seat height in that range but it's not a tourer. The DCT700 also has a rediculously low seat and only weighs 500 pounds but that's a whole different bike being more akin to a scooter than a touring machine.

I've sat on the new Gold Wings and though they are lower than the RT the seats are a lot wider so for me (short leg syndrome) it's about the same ground reach as my factory lowered Camhead. The bike weighs 200 pounds more (more or less) but having reverse negates the greater weight for most situations in my opinion. If you drop it, well that could be trouble depending on your strength. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to ride one.[/QUOTE

Well, back in the day when the R1100RS came out, 1994 or thereabouts if memory serves me correctly, I couldn't wait to get to the dealers and plop down my savings to ride something that was a BMW, smooth, powerful and ideal for touring. I went to the dealers and he pointed out a nice red one in the show room. It was sitting there on its center stand and when I threw my leg over it I couldn't touch the floor and when I put it down off the center stand I could just tip toe it. Now, I'm a short legged guy but, no matter, why can't we get something out of BMW that a rider under 6 feet can feel comfortable on? Just asking. The answer is that those stubborn Germans don't see a need to accommodate riders under 6 feet tall not to mention female riders. Too bad really because my dealer now carries Indians and almost every Indian in the showroom let's me sit on it and comfortably put my feet down without making me feel like I'm straddling a chain link fence. HD, Indian and Victory (and even the metric cruisers) are popular partly because the riders can handle the bikes at any speed without having to stand on their toes (and some of them are really heavy). IMHO.
    Whereas a 6ft tall person on an Indian cruiser looks like an adult sitting on a grade school chair for a parent-teacher meeting.

But, back to BMW's........young (20-30yr) Germans are 1.5 to 2" taller than similar age Americans and Germans are shorter than the Dutch. So, it might not be BMW that has a problem.........
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

[QUOTE=FELAW;1183702]
    Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    Yeah. There's a Harley with a seat height in that range but it's not a tourer. The DCT700 also has a rediculously low seat and only weighs 500 pounds but that's a whole different bike being more akin to a scooter than a touring machine.

BMW has a wide assortment of models that are offered in lowered versions. I Am 5’10 (on my tall days) and have a 30 inch inseam. I can flat foot my 17 R12GSA.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by FELAW View Post
    Well, back in the day when the R1100RS came out, 1994 or thereabouts if memory serves me correctly, I couldn't wait to get to the dealers and plop down my savings to ride something that was a BMW, smooth, powerful and ideal for touring. I went to the dealers and he pointed out a nice red one in the show room. It was sitting there on its center stand and when I threw my leg over it I couldn't touch the floor and when I put it down off the center stand I could just tip toe it. Now, I'm a short legged guy but, no matter, why can't we get something out of BMW that a rider under 6 feet can feel comfortable on? Just asking. The answer is that those stubborn Germans don't see a need to accommodate riders under 6 feet tall not to mention female riders. IMHO.
    Well, to be a bit contrarian, when that R1100RS made its debut in May of 1993 Voni and I went to Engle Motors in Kansas City. We drove the 70 miles from Topeka because it was a chilly and a bit rainy day. We went to see the new bike without any intent to buy one, but they had free donuts and hotdogs.

Norman (the dealership owner) talked Voni into a test ride. They loaned her a jacket, helmet and gloves. The rest became history. That was on Saturday. The bike we bought was still in the crate but we picked it up Tuesday. She still has Big Red, now with 415,000 or so miles on her. And Voni is 5'6" tall and quite slim to boot. It has a three position seat and she rides with the seat in the middle position most of the time and can flat foot the bike.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Annie is 5’9” and has a 34” inseam. She rides a standard height R1200GS and a standard height F800GS. I cannot comfortably ride either of her bikes. She reminds me of this fact on occasion.

Also noteworthy, my lowered GSA, even with a full tank fuel, is much easier to move around the shop than Annie’s GS.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam and I can ride my RT with the regular factory seat on it's 0.6" lowered suspension. Can I flat foot it. Nope, not even close, but with 35 years of riding full-size (haha) motorcycles like FJR1300's, Suzuki Bandits, and three different 80's era machines I've learned to cope. I don't think about it and have only dropped a bike twice, neither time while out riding.

I currently use the BMW "Comfort" seat that's an inch lower than the standard and with that I'm a 1/2" from flatfooting it and that's good enough to back it up slight inclines. Still, I am always scanning for the slope of parking spots to avoid trapping myself. I can definitely see how, with time, the RT will eventually become too heavy but when that day comes I have several options (and a 401k to raid for financing!).
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Well, to be a bit contrarian, when that R1100RS made its debut....

And Voni is 5'6" tall and quite slim to boot. It has a three position seat and she rides with the seat in the middle position most of the time and can flat foot the bike.
    Thanks for mentioning that. I’ve added the R1100R/RS to my “short list.”

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Thanks for mentioning that. I’ve added the R1100R/RS to my “short list.”
    While I agree with Mr. & Mrs. Glaves experience on the R1100RS seat height, I would also suggest that you look at the newer water cooled R1200RS or R1200R with the optional low (30") seat. Beyond an additional 30+ horsepower, it may be 20-lbs lighter (~520 wet). IMHO, the newer model is easier to move around in the garage (Anybody want Kevin Huddy's Park n Go?) and the footpeg/seat/handlebar ergo seems more relaxed. However, If one chooses the R1100RS route, you should be able to find a lightly used late 90's model with aftermarket suspension and bags for $3000.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

While I agree with Mr. & Mrs. Glaves experience on the R1100RS seat height, I would also suggest that you look at the newer water cooled R1200RS or R1200R with the optional low (30") seat. Beyond an additional 30+ horsepower, it may be 20-lbs lighter (~520 wet). IMHO, the newer model is easier to move around in the garage (Anybody want Kevin Huddy's Park n Go?) and the footpeg/seat/handlebar ergo seems more relaxed. However, If one chooses the R1100RS route, you should be able to find a lightly used late 90's model with aftermarket suspension and bags for $3000.
    Thanks.

Is that bike actually liquid-cooled? On this site, it describes the engine as “air/oil-cooled”:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R1200R.htm

Thanks.

Is that bike actually liquid-cooled? On this site, it describes the engine as “air/oil-cooled”:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R1200R.htm
    Darn good catch. Post 2016 (in the US) the R1200R & RS are water cooled. Prior R1100/1150/1200 versions were evolutions of the R559 Oilhead engine which was air/oil-cooled. If you're looking at the R1150 and R1200 version of those air/oil-cooled models you should research the servo-assisted brakes. Some owners have had strong opinions on that technology and the additional service costs

Darn good catch. Post 2016 (in the US) the R1200R & RS are water cooled. Prior R1100/1150/1200 versions were evolutions of the R559 Oilhead engine which was air/oil-cooled. If you're looking at the R1150 and R1200 version of those air/oil-cooled models you should research the servo-assisted brakes. Some owners have had strong opinions on that technology and the additional service costs
    Okay, thanks for that clarification.

So many variables beyond seat height - - hard to sort out all the possible permutations...

Okay, thanks for that clarification.

So many variables beyond seat height - - hard to sort out all the possible permutations...
    Vark,

You posted a website from the UK. Where are you from?

Vark,

You posted a website from the UK. Where are you from?
    I’m in the States.

I use that website regularly as a reference source for BMW motorcycle specs. It doesn't cover all models, but nearly all except some of the most recent. I find it helpful, and have not found a similar site in North America

have not found a similar site in North America
    I also have not found a good US site for non current models.
    I wish BMW USA had a site showing specs for non current models.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT