• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW's Too top heavy for older riders?

Yep, BMW's are too heavy, too top heavy and too tall for some of us, and with typical Teutonic pigheadedness, BMW refuses to make a decent tourer with a seat height of less than 31 inches and a weight of less than 700 pounds.

They list the weight of my wethead GS as 525 lbs. It's a bit more with the Vario cases, but still well below 700 lbs. The bikes aren't too top heavy, y'all legs are too short. :wave

(6'4" here with 36" inseam :D)

Harry

Too top heavy? Can't pick the bike up? Ha, if this little lady do it, it means riding skills are more important than seat height, how top heavy a bike might be.

1st forum post RE: new 1250RT

I'm 71 and recently downsized to a 2019 1250 RT. For the last 14 years I've had 3 GL1800s (Honda Goldwing). I found the bike increasingly difficult to handle particularly at slow speeds, sharp turns, etc. Years ago I had a ST1300 that was a great bike although somewhat top heavy. This bike was discontinued several years ago and was never replaced with a sport touring model. The new Goldwing is interesting and I did take it out on a test ride, but it's still a 800 lb + machine. Thus I came upon the
1250RT which at some 612 lbs is 300 lbs lighter than the 2010 Wing I traded! Accordingly the BMW 1250RT (my 1st BMW) is, to me, an easily maneuverable bike. Compared to the Wing it flies through the twisties with no worries about how far I can lean it over. Slow maneuvers are much easier. Putting the Wing on the center stand was always a challenge: unless I was on a perfectly flat surface I just couldn't haul the beast up. The RT seems to pop up almost by itself! I've only put on 2700 km so far (that's 1670 miles 'Merican) before I put it away for the winter up here in the GWN. I will spend the winter looking forward to my new ride come spring.

Honda Goldwing. Maybe not exactly 25”, but in the ballpark. Automatic transmission, too. With the automatic, you get engine-driven reverse, rather than the electric reverse used in the manual model.

Correction: Goldwing seat height is 29”.

Maybe he was referring to an HD model?

Yeah. There's a Harley with a seat height in that range but it's not a tourer. The DCT700 also has a rediculously low seat and only weighs 500 pounds but that's a whole different bike being more akin to a scooter than a touring machine.

I've sat on the new Gold Wings and though they are lower than the RT the seats are a lot wider so for me (short leg syndrome) it's about the same ground reach as my factory lowered Camhead. The bike weighs 200 pounds more (more or less) but having reverse negates the greater weight for most situations in my opinion. If you drop it, well that could be trouble depending on your strength. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to ride one.

Yeah. There's a Harley with a seat height in that range but it's not a tourer. The DCT700 also has a rediculously low seat and only weighs 500 pounds but that's a whole different bike being more akin to a scooter than a touring machine.

I've sat on the new Gold Wings and though they are lower than the RT the seats are a lot wider so for me (short leg syndrome) it's about the same ground reach as my factory lowered Camhead. The bike weighs 200 pounds more (more or less) but having reverse negates the greater weight for most situations in my opinion. If you drop it, well that could be trouble depending on your strength. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to ride one.[/QUOTE

Well, back in the day when the R1100RS came out, 1994 or thereabouts if memory serves me correctly, I couldn't wait to get to the dealers and plop down my savings to ride something that was a BMW, smooth, powerful and ideal for touring. I went to the dealers and he pointed out a nice red one in the show room. It was sitting there on its center stand and when I threw my leg over it I couldn't touch the floor and when I put it down off the center stand I could just tip toe it. Now, I'm a short legged guy but, no matter, why can't we get something out of BMW that a rider under 6 feet can feel comfortable on? Just asking. The answer is that those stubborn Germans don't see a need to accommodate riders under 6 feet tall not to mention female riders. Too bad really because my dealer now carries Indians and almost every Indian in the showroom let's me sit on it and comfortably put my feet down without making me feel like I'm straddling a chain link fence. HD, Indian and Victory (and even the metric cruisers) are popular partly because the riders can handle the bikes at any speed without having to stand on their toes (and some of them are really heavy). IMHO.

I've sat on the new Gold Wings and though they are lower than the RT the seats are a lot wider so for me (short leg syndrome) it's about the same ground reach as my factory lowered Camhead. The bike weighs 200 pounds more (more or less) but having reverse negates the greater weight for most situations in my opinion. If you drop it, well that could be trouble depending on your strength. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to ride one.[/QUOTE

Well, back in the day when the R1100RS came out, 1994 or thereabouts if memory serves me correctly, I couldn't wait to get to the dealers and plop down my savings to ride something that was a BMW, smooth, powerful and ideal for touring. I went to the dealers and he pointed out a nice red one in the show room. It was sitting there on its center stand and when I threw my leg over it I couldn't touch the floor and when I put it down off the center stand I could just tip toe it. Now, I'm a short legged guy but, no matter, why can't we get something out of BMW that a rider under 6 feet can feel comfortable on? Just asking. The answer is that those stubborn Germans don't see a need to accommodate riders under 6 feet tall not to mention female riders. Too bad really because my dealer now carries Indians and almost every Indian in the showroom let's me sit on it and comfortably put my feet down without making me feel like I'm straddling a chain link fence. HD, Indian and Victory (and even the metric cruisers) are popular partly because the riders can handle the bikes at any speed without having to stand on their toes (and some of them are really heavy). IMHO.

Whereas a 6ft tall person on an Indian cruiser looks like an adult sitting on a grade school chair for a parent-teacher meeting.

But, back to BMW's........young (20-30yr) Germans are 1.5 to 2" taller than similar age Americans and Germans are shorter than the Dutch. So, it might not be BMW that has a problem.........

BMW has a wide assortment of models that are offered in lowered versions. I Am 5’10 (on my tall days) and have a 30 inch inseam. I can flat foot my 17 R12GSA.

Well, back in the day when the R1100RS came out, 1994 or thereabouts if memory serves me correctly, I couldn't wait to get to the dealers and plop down my savings to ride something that was a BMW, smooth, powerful and ideal for touring. I went to the dealers and he pointed out a nice red one in the show room. It was sitting there on its center stand and when I threw my leg over it I couldn't touch the floor and when I put it down off the center stand I could just tip toe it. Now, I'm a short legged guy but, no matter, why can't we get something out of BMW that a rider under 6 feet can feel comfortable on? Just asking. The answer is that those stubborn Germans don't see a need to accommodate riders under 6 feet tall not to mention female riders. IMHO.

Well, to be a bit contrarian, when that R1100RS made its debut in May of 1993 Voni and I went to Engle Motors in Kansas City. We drove the 70 miles from Topeka because it was a chilly and a bit rainy day. We went to see the new bike without any intent to buy one, but they had free donuts and hotdogs.

Norman (the dealership owner) talked Voni into a test ride. They loaned her a jacket, helmet and gloves. The rest became history. That was on Saturday. The bike we bought was still in the crate but we picked it up Tuesday. She still has Big Red, now with 415,000 or so miles on her. And Voni is 5'6" tall and quite slim to boot. It has a three position seat and she rides with the seat in the middle position most of the time and can flat foot the bike.

Annie is 5’9” and has a 34” inseam. She rides a standard height R1200GS and a standard height F800GS. I cannot comfortably ride either of her bikes. She reminds me of this fact on occasion.

Also noteworthy, my lowered GSA, even with a full tank fuel, is much easier to move around the shop than Annie’s GS.

I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam and I can ride my RT with the regular factory seat on it's 0.6" lowered suspension. Can I flat foot it. Nope, not even close, but with 35 years of riding full-size (haha) motorcycles like FJR1300's, Suzuki Bandits, and three different 80's era machines I've learned to cope. I don't think about it and have only dropped a bike twice, neither time while out riding.

I currently use the BMW "Comfort" seat that's an inch lower than the standard and with that I'm a 1/2" from flatfooting it and that's good enough to back it up slight inclines. Still, I am always scanning for the slope of parking spots to avoid trapping myself. I can definitely see how, with time, the RT will eventually become too heavy but when that day comes I have several options (and a 401k to raid for financing!).

Well, to be a bit contrarian, when that R1100RS made its debut....

And Voni is 5'6" tall and quite slim to boot. It has a three position seat and she rides with the seat in the middle position most of the time and can flat foot the bike.

Thanks for mentioning that. I’ve added the R1100R/RS to my “short list.”

Thanks for mentioning that. I’ve added the R1100R/RS to my “short list.”

While I agree with Mr. & Mrs. Glaves experience on the R1100RS seat height, I would also suggest that you look at the newer water cooled R1200RS or R1200R with the optional low (30") seat. Beyond an additional 30+ horsepower, it may be 20-lbs lighter (~520 wet). IMHO, the newer model is easier to move around in the garage (Anybody want Kevin Huddy's Park n Go?) and the footpeg/seat/handlebar ergo seems more relaxed. However, If one chooses the R1100RS route, you should be able to find a lightly used late 90's model with aftermarket suspension and bags for $3000.

While I agree with Mr. & Mrs. Glaves experience on the R1100RS seat height, I would also suggest that you look at the newer water cooled R1200RS or R1200R with the optional low (30") seat. Beyond an additional 30+ horsepower, it may be 20-lbs lighter (~520 wet). IMHO, the newer model is easier to move around in the garage (Anybody want Kevin Huddy's Park n Go?) and the footpeg/seat/handlebar ergo seems more relaxed. However, If one chooses the R1100RS route, you should be able to find a lightly used late 90's model with aftermarket suspension and bags for $3000.

Thanks.

Is that bike actually liquid-cooled? On this site, it describes the engine as “air/oil-cooled”:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R1200R.htm

Thanks.

Is that bike actually liquid-cooled? On this site, it describes the engine as “air/oil-cooled”:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R1200R.htm

Darn good catch. Post 2016 (in the US) the R1200R & RS are water cooled. Prior R1100/1150/1200 versions were evolutions of the R559 Oilhead engine which was air/oil-cooled. If you're looking at the R1150 and R1200 version of those air/oil-cooled models you should research the servo-assisted brakes. Some owners have had strong opinions on that technology and the additional service costs

Darn good catch. Post 2016 (in the US) the R1200R & RS are water cooled. Prior R1100/1150/1200 versions were evolutions of the R559 Oilhead engine which was air/oil-cooled. If you're looking at the R1150 and R1200 version of those air/oil-cooled models you should research the servo-assisted brakes. Some owners have had strong opinions on that technology and the additional service costs

Okay, thanks for that clarification.

So many variables beyond seat height - - hard to sort out all the possible permutations...

Vark,

You posted a website from the UK. Where are you from?

I’m in the States.

I use that website regularly as a reference source for BMW motorcycle specs. It doesn't cover all models, but nearly all except some of the most recent. I find it helpful, and have not found a similar site in North America

Back