Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW's Too top heavy for older riders?

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Until your hips get stiff and your knees don't work well. Then its trike? Scooter? Miata? Sofa? Folks then need to decide.
    +1
    F850GS

MOA #46783

The thing about most scooter riders is we're still out there enjoying the ride and don't give hoot about respect! I suspect that most of us scooter folks still have a "real" motorcycle in the garage as well.
    Happy trails to you.

Quote Originally Posted by airheadbullet View Post
    The thing about most scooter riders is we're still out there enjoying the ride and don't give hoot about respect! I suspect that most of us scooter folks still have a "real" motorcycle in the garage as well.
    Happy trails to you.

They're enjoying life their way?........I respect'em.
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

You are entirely correct sir.

I have been thinking about downsizing myself (09 R1200RT). While boh Harley and Honda make motorcycles which are heavier than the present BMW line up, their center of gravity is lower and I routinely see motorcyclists of limited stature and advanced age riding same. Time for BMW to lower weight and center of gravity for those of us over 60

3hawks

Quote Originally Posted by will3hawks View Post
    I have been thinking about downsizing myself (09 R1200RT). While boh Harley and Honda make motorcycles which are heavier than the present BMW line up, their center of gravity is lower and I routinely see motorcyclists of limited stature and advanced age riding same. Time for BMW to lower weight and center of gravity for those of us over 60

3hawks
    Not just for the over 60 crowd, either. There are plenty of younger riders who just don’t want a tall heavy bike. But maybe BMW doesn’t care, and figures those riders can just go elsewhere while they continue to focus on their style of bikes (tall, heavy)?

For your downsizing, take a look at the Honda NC750X. Very impressive machine. The “frunk” (forward trunk) is large enough for an XL helmet, which is a very convenient feature. While primarily a road bike, the design contemplates light-offroad use, so gravel and fireroads are within its abilities. The price is very competitive. If it had a shaft-drive, I would own one already. My only other gripe is lack of seat height options, but aftermarket kits are available to lower it as much as 4”.

Quote Originally Posted by airheadbullet View Post
    Happy trails to you.
    Most scooter riders are in college... visit any campus and there are swarms of them. Now... the trick is how to build a passion for 2 wheels and convince the young riders to stay in the community after they graduate.

Ian

One answer:

Camp G.E.A.R.S.

https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/GEARS
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    One answer:

Camp G.E.A.R.S.

https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/GEARS
    If we took Camp GEARS on the road in a combined effort with BMW Dealers and local clubs, I bet we could reach those types of riders and turn them on to motorcycling via test ride of a 310. (Too bad there isn't a DCT version.)

Otherwise, the chances of them coming to our rally are nil unless they're the offspring of a current member.

Ian

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Perhaps we might try looking at this from a different perspective. Are the BIKES too top heavy or are the RIDERS too middle and bottom heavy? Just wondering?

If you want to ride a big ass bike, perhaps you shouldn't have one.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post

Friedle
    I didn’t see where anyone was saying they “want to ride a big ass bike.” Exact opposite. That’s the complaint being made here - - BMW primarily designs/offers tall top heavy bikes.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    That’s the complaint being made here - - BMW primarily designs/offers tall top heavy bikes.
    Oh, please.

Kawasaki and Yamaha sport-touring bikes are much heavier and more top heavy. Suzuki and Harley don't offer competitive bikes to the RT. KTM offers great bikes but nothing with a full coverage fairing. Who else offers something better, in-category, than BMW?

I'm going to put this whole thread down to the complaints of older riders who, unfortunately, may not have the same abilities they once had. News flash: its not the fault of the motorcycle.

Over the past several years BMW has introduced lowered versions of most if not all of their bikes. I ride a lowered 2017 GSA and can flat foot it with my 30 inch inseam. Ten - twelve years ago there was not a GS/A made that I could comfortably ride. The GSA replaced a 2012 Super Tenere that was lowered with aftermarket suspension bits. It was the same weight as the GSA but far more top heavy.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Oh, please.

Kawasaki and Yamaha sport-touring bikes are much heavier and more top heavy. Suzuki and Harley don't offer competitive bikes to the RT. KTM offers great bikes but nothing with a full coverage fairing. Who else offers something better, in-category, than BMW?

I'm going to put this whole thread down to the complaints of older riders who, unfortunately, may not have the same abilities they once had. News flash: its not the fault of the motorcycle.
    Most of the competitors you mention above offer alternative designs to “sport tour” models, eg cruisers with low seats and low cg. The claim that bmw’s sport tour models are great products isn’t exactly a rebuttal to the complaint that they don’t offer alternative designs in other “categories” with low seats and cg.

In any case, I was merely restating the complaint being made in this thread since the individual I was responding to seemed to have completely misunderstood it.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Over the past several years BMW has introduced lowered versions of most if not all of their bikes. I ride a lowered 2017 GSA and can flat foot it with my 30 inch inseam. Ten - twelve years ago there was not a GS/A made that I could comfortably ride. The GSA replaced a 2012 Super Tenere that was lowered with aftermarket suspension bits. It was the same weight as the GSA but far more top heavy.
    That’s encouraging and good to hear.