• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW's Too top heavy for older riders?

I also have not found a good US site for non current models.
I wish BMW USA had a site showing specs for non current models.

I agree, but why would they. Spec's for non-current models won't sell new motorcycles. :scratch

Whereas a 6ft tall person on an Indian cruiser looks like an adult sitting on a grade school chair for a parent-teacher meeting.

But, back to BMW's........young (20-30yr) Germans are 1.5 to 2" taller than similar age Americans and Germans are shorter than the Dutch. So, it might not be BMW that has a problem.........

So I guess then that Indian, Harley and Victory have it all messed up because they really should be trying to fit their motorcycles to Dutchmen instead of Americans? And I guess its possible that BMW will sell more motorcycles in Holland than in America. I don't think it's rocket science that, within limits, seat height, seat to footpeg distances and other ergonomic dimensions could be adjustable. Harley sells Reach accessories that lower seats, move pegs and handle bars to accommodate various rider requirements. God forbid that BMW should make a bike where a 5 foot 8 inch individual could sit on the damn thing and put his feet flat on the pavement at a stop light. Just sayin'.

So I guess then that Indian, Harley and Victory have it all messed up because they really should be trying to fit their motorcycles to Dutchmen instead of Americans? And I guess its possible that BMW will sell more motorcycles in Holland than in America. I don't think it's rocket science that, within limits, seat height, seat to footpeg distances and other ergonomic dimensions could be adjustable. Harley sells Reach accessories that lower seats, move pegs and handle bars to accommodate various rider requirements. God forbid that BMW should make a bike where a 5 foot 8 inch individual could sit on the damn thing and put his feet flat on the pavement at a stop light. Just sayin'.

I'm 5'8" and have no problem flat footing my 2015 RT...but it's not because of my height. Rather, as mentioned by a previous poster, it's because of my 32" inseam. Height has nothing to do with it...it's the length of your inseam.

Looking at my 25 years of riding BMW's, I actually feel they've made tremendous progress on trying to have bikes that fit a variety of people. Many of their current models come with lowered suspension (not just a seat with less padding). The RnineT comes with a 31" seat height, but it feels lower because of the bike's slim profile. Both the F750 GS and G310GS are slim profile bikes with a 32" seat height and pretty soft suspension... I would think someone with a 28" inseam would feel pretty comfortable on either of them when they sit on the seat and the suspension compresses. Incredibly, the lowered suspension version of the R1250GS takes the GS bike from a seat height of 34.3" to 31.5"...again, once you sit on the bike and compress the suspension it should feel pretty comfortable for someone with shorter legs.

I'm 5'8" and have no problem flat footing my 2015 RT...but it's not because of my height. Rather, as mentioned by a previous poster, it's because of my 32" inseam. Height has nothing to do with it...it's the length of your inseam.

Looking at my 25 years of riding BMW's, I actually feel they've made tremendous progress on trying to have bikes that fit a variety of people. Many of their current models come with lowered suspension (not just a seat with less padding). The RnineT comes with a 31" seat height, but it feels lower because of the bike's slim profile. Both the F750 GS and G310GS are slim profile bikes with a 32" seat height and pretty soft suspension... I would think someone with a 28" inseam would feel pretty comfortable on either of them when they sit on the seat and the suspension compresses. Incredibly, the lowered suspension version of the R1250GS takes the GS bike from a seat height of 34.3" to 31.5"...again, once you sit on the bike and compress the suspension it should feel pretty comfortable for someone with shorter legs.

I'm wondering how my name got tagged with the quote in the prior message.

Relative to BMW offerings, adjustable height seats are offered on some models while others have a range of seat height options. Low suspension models have been offered by BMW and several aftermarket companies sell short shock variants for modifying a standard height bike. The mothership also offers adjustable footpegs and controls, but most customers of such products got to Suburban, Ilium, SW Motech, Puig, etc. Of course, how many suppliers of bar risers are there??.....

I guess the issue might be.........all of these products aren't BMW made or pushed by the dealer. But, if HD and Indian are the basis for judging product offerings, I guess the lack of straight pipe exhausts and boom box stereo systems needs to be addressed immediately.

In all honesty, Victory messed-up so bad.......they choose to end the product line.

I'm wondering how my name got tagged with the quote in the prior message.

Relative to BMW offerings, adjustable height seats are offered on some models while others have a range of seat height options. Low suspension models have been offered by BMW and several aftermarket companies sell short shock variants for modifying a standard height bike. The mothership also offers adjustable footpegs and controls, but most customers of such products got to Suburban, Ilium, SW Motech, Puig, etc. Of course, how many suppliers of bar risers are there??.....

I guess the issue might be.........all of these products aren't BMW made or pushed by the dealer. But, if HD and Indian are the basis for judging product offerings, I guess the lack of straight pipe exhausts and boom box stereo systems needs to be addressed immediately.

Weird...it was FELAW's message I was quoting.

I made a confession to my wife the other night about a love affair I’ve been having since I was in my early twenties. Try saying that to you wife sometime, and see if it doesn’t get her attention. Well, she gave me that sarcastic look that instantly tells a husband, “Please, no woman could put up with you that long.”

Anyway, my affair was with a new red Triumph Bonneville. I knew it was not meant to be because she would not treat me well. I was told she had Lucas wiring, strange carbs, and a questionable transmission. So, I passed.

But while reading this thread I started thinking about her again. Then I came across the new thread in the Campfire section (https://youtu.be/dM1CYSsjprc) about the 40-thousand-mile review, and came back down to earth again.

I took a trip to Colorado in late September on my RT; and it is still manageable when heavily loaded. I do notice that with age it is getting a little more taxing to handle when fully loaded.

I’m not sure what I’ll do when I get to that point, but now I’m thinking about the C 650 GT.

E.

The R 1250 R is around 530 lbs. Any R 1250 R owners out there? What say you?.

My R1200RS is approximately that weight, and I can still handle it, at 71 years. But I work out daily.

However in the last several years I've found myself being more careful in how I move the bikes around in the garage. :D

Last edited:
I like the looks of the 2020 F900R.

Yes, I think Motorrad has hit another one out of the park. Good to see.

Today I was looking at "What bike do you want today" in ADVrider, and there are some intriguing machines that have hit the market recently.

Those are heavy also at 575 pounds.
I would be temped by the F900R at 463 pounds.

Yes The F900R/XR are an interesting change. Will have to look at them carefully in the spring, or when they show up at dealers. While the weight has come down some, they are still quite close to the R1200RS/r1250RS. Not sure the difference is worth the likely compromises in suspension, etc.

The KTM 790 is another even lighter alternative with a bit better power (at the expense of a peaky engine curve??)

I see that KTM has just announce a 890 Duke R (a naked street fighter) with a weight of 366lbs and 119HP. This bike has outstanding suspensions specs. If KTM produced a GT version will a slightly detuned engine for a broad power/torque (vs peak race version) I would guess in still could come in at 425lbs or so. This is a could be a substantial attraction to me. KTM/Works Performance suspensions are among the very best.

So many choices of good bikes

And a chinese Lorcim engine?

The Chinese will make products to any corporate specification. The last BMW product I specifically looked at- made in China, was that real nice riding suit......can’t remember the name of the suit.....Rallye 3?
It was made as nice as anything I have seen.
When a nice German anvil is close to $3,000.....thinking a $79.00 HF anvil is going to be the same is rather wishful thinking.
OM

And a chinese Lorcim engine?

Why would that be a hardship? Thus far the China sourced engine has presented as a much smoother and powerful, more meaningful power curve than the prior out sourced Rotax 800. BMW had their G650GS engine produced in China beginning in 2009, I don't recollect any unusual problems with it. Not sure I understand the concern over Chinese sourced products from the many other foreign sources used by BMW and nearly every other vehicle manufacture in Europe, Asia or USA.

Back