Thread: R1250 Fueling — Wideband O2 Sensors!

R1250 Fueling — Wideband O2 Sensors!

Here’s some information on the R1250, which is supported by data coming from the GS-911.

As most know, the R1250 has three oxygen sensors: two are in the headers, one per cylinder, located ahead of the catalytic converter. Those two sensors are used for precise fueling control by the ECU. The third sensor is after the cat and will monitor to make sure the fueling is stock (or within range of stock) and that the cat is doing its job. It’s an automated environmental police officer.

Apparently no one has looked at the O2 sensor till this week. A new friend volunteered to run some gs-911 logs and take some pictures in preparation for an AF-XIED trial. The pre-cat O2 sensor has a new connector and five wires.

BREAKING NEWS
    The two oxygen sensors ahead of the cat are WIDEBAND O2 SENSORS. Simply, this means BMW will be able to set a MUCH broader range of AFR targets but they will still have to satisfy the Euro 4/5 guys and keep the cat happy.

It also means a radically different ECU code since the Wideband O2 is programmed, controlled and monitored in a very different way.

IMPACT
    It will take some time to develop strategies to alter via add on or to recode the ECU. And it will take time to learn how to deal with the 3rd O2 cop. And the fueling of the R1250 is probably very good as it is.

However since the engine has to run lean to meet the operating parameters of the catalytic converter there will be the possibility of improvement. But it will take time to know just how to achieve those goals and keep the R1250 as good as it already is.

As a community, we should spend some time and learn the new ECU control system to see what improvements can be made.

Are they not running properly, to meet consumer and emission standards?
    F850GS

MOA #46783

By all accounts, the R1250 is a very well fueled bike. In spite of that I've had a number of inquiries regarding fueling adjustments. Since having WBO2 sensors is all-new for BMW bikes, there'll be some who find that interesting.

Talking

Some people just like to tinker with things.
    Think they can make things better.

Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    I like to tinker. However, I never assume I'm going to make things better and that assumption has been confirmed many times over. .
    F850GS

MOA #46783

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I always enjoy understanding how things work. I find it helps when things stop working.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    My 2015 R1200RT has way better manners after adding the AFXIED devices. More torque down low, better mid speed manners, way smoother.
    John.
    Atwater, CA
    2015 R1200RT