Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ear Plugs, Custom Mold or Off the Shelf

Welcome!

I bought a set of these "EarPeace HD Concert Ear Plugs" and compared to the foam plugs they are way more comfortable and easier to fit in my ears. Price is right at $15.
    Highly satisfied:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Brad Gross
    Returning Motorcyclist
    2004 1150GS Adventure, 2019 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstout View Post
    Welcome!

I bought a set of these "EarPeace HD Concert Ear Plugs" and compared to the foam plugs they are way more comfortable and easier to fit in my ears. Price is right at $15.
    Highly satisfied:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Here is a nice primer on noise

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/fd0...d85f6b74c0.pdf

In PA, like most states, allowable vehicle noise is specified at a distance of 50-ft. Typically, a level of 82 to 84dba is specified as allowable. If you're on or near one of those just legal machines, the sound level is ~106 dba at a 1-yd distance. According to OSHA, 15-minutes of exposure to that level will cause hearing damage.

So, it would be my suggestion to proceed with caution when choosing ear plugs with modest noise reduction levels (NRR in the US and SNR in the CE).
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    I am replying to this topic to explain why in some cases, custom earplugs might not work.

Over the years of my riding I have had three pairs of custom made earplugs made by three different companies. Two of the companies, made replacements for me when the results were unsatisfactory.

I asked my audiologist why these pricey earplugs did not produce the results I needed for riding and the answer was in my case, my ear cartilage is too soft to keep the plugs in place.

I now use desposable Laser Light earplugs.
    I don't know if my ear cartilage is soft, but my experience of earplugs exactly mirrors that of Paul_F.

I've tried three or four custom-made earplugs since the early 80s, and none was particularly effective. I now use Moldex Pura-Fit #6844 in a dispenser of 250 that hangs on the garage wall near the bike. Very effective and when bought in quantity, very cheap.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    I don't know if my ear cartilage is soft, but my experience of earplugs exactly mirrors that of Paul_F.

I've tried three or four custom-made earplugs since the early 80s, and none was particularly effective. I now use Moldex Pura-Fit #6844 in a dispenser of 250 that hangs on the garage wall near the bike. Very effective and when bought in quantity, very cheap.
    A 33 NRR is hard to beat...
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

In general I love my custom moulded ear phones but Iím fine with off the shelf disposal plugs.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I just bought some Pinlock ear plugs (Amazon and Revzilla carry them). They are about the most comfortable I have tried and only cost about $25 for set of bot medium and large earplugs.
    I too have a set of these.

Before purchasing, I read quite a few reviews. By far most were very favorable, but some were decidedly not. I wondered about those negative reviews, but ordered some anyway.

I now understand the unfavorable reviews. For me, these are COMPLETELY ineffective at reducing wind noise. There must be something different about the physiology of my ears, because they donít work at all for me.

The good news is they only cost about $25 so not the end of the world if you take a chance and they donít work out.

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post

Same here. The custom molded ones just don't seem to reduce wind noise as well as foam ear plugs, and I did go to the Moldex Pura-Fit.

Biggest mistake I've made with ear plugs was to get "large size" yellow ones. They were EAR Soft Yellow Neons. These were fine on day trips, but on a long road trip those large ear plugs were obviously too large judging by the pain they caused. Foam ear plugs that are too large are fine for mowing the grass or a modest day trip can wind up torture devices on a long, multi-day trip.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

I grew up hunting and working on the farm, ear protection wasnít as common thing in the 80s (and prior Iím sure) in the rural Midwest anyway. FFW to the 90s and military service and I exited the Marines with hearing loss and pretty severe tinnitus.

Between riding, hunting, shooting a lot, and being in a machine shop environment I take what hearing I still have very seriously. For hunting and shooting, I wear plugs with electronic muffs over them.

Anyway, I had a visit with the audiologist back in Dec of last year and asked for recommendations. She said sheíd be happy to make a pair of molded ones for me but that the roll-up foamies offer better protection for most people IF they are inserted properly.