• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ear Plugs, Custom Mold or Off the Shelf

I just bought some Pinlock ear plugs (Amazon and Revzilla carry them). They are about the most comfortable I have tried and only cost about $25 for set of bot medium and large earplugs.

I too have a set of these.

Before purchasing, I read quite a few reviews. By far most were very favorable, but some were decidedly not. I wondered about those negative reviews, but ordered some anyway.

I now understand the unfavorable reviews. For me, these are COMPLETELY ineffective at reducing wind noise. There must be something different about the physiology of my ears, because they don’t work at all for me.

The good news is they only cost about $25 so not the end of the world if you take a chance and they don’t work out.

I've tried three or four custom-made earplugs since the early 80s, and none was particularly effective. I now use Moldex Pura-Fit #6844 in a dispenser of 250 that hangs on the garage wall near the bike. Very effective and when bought in quantity, very cheap.

Same here. The custom molded ones just don't seem to reduce wind noise as well as foam ear plugs, and I did go to the Moldex Pura-Fit.

Biggest mistake I've made with ear plugs was to get "large size" yellow ones. They were EAR Soft Yellow Neons. These were fine on day trips, but on a long road trip those large ear plugs were obviously too large judging by the pain they caused. Foam ear plugs that are too large are fine for mowing the grass or a modest day trip can wind up torture devices on a long, multi-day trip.

Harry

I grew up hunting and working on the farm, ear protection wasn’t as common thing in the 80s (and prior I’m sure) in the rural Midwest anyway. FFW to the 90s and military service and I exited the Marines with hearing loss and pretty severe tinnitus.

Between riding, hunting, shooting a lot, and being in a machine shop environment I take what hearing I still have very seriously. For hunting and shooting, I wear plugs with electronic muffs over them.

Anyway, I had a visit with the audiologist back in Dec of last year and asked for recommendations. She said she’d be happy to make a pair of molded ones for me but that the roll-up foamies offer better protection for most people IF they are inserted properly.

Back