• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Two Up Riding

Ragman2

OK...I have had my 2018 RTW for about a year now and I have never given my wife a ride. I think I feel comfortable enough now to take her out for a short ride. My problem is...I am about 175 lbs and my wife is about 185lbs. I have the side cases on the bike along with the 49l top box. I'm trying to figure out the process for getting her on and off the bike. Do I leave the side stand down while I'm sitting on the bike? She would not have a lot of room to maneuver around to swing her leg over. I don't want to take the top box off so that she would have something to lean back on. OR...should she get on the bike first?

We have not practiced the mounting and dismounting process so any help from you will be helpful.

I ride my own bike, usually, but when we're at a rally or something, I'll go 2 up on my husband's RT. We've tried a couple of different methods for me to get on the back. Usually, he gets on first and holds the bike up straight. With the rear footpegs out, facing the left side of the bike, I step onto the left peg with my left foot, left hand on his shoulder and right hand on the top case. As I step up, I slide my right foot between him and the top case, turning to face front as my foot clears the seat and heads down to the right peg. I find getting off a little trickier, as I need to pivot my left foot on the peg so I'm facing sideways before I step down to the ground (and I'm not very flexible).

The other method is for me to get on first, with the bike on the side stand, as if I were going to ride it. Then I use the footpegs to help me get up and back onto the rear seat. Dave then gets on in front. To get off, I wait til he's off, then slide down into the driver's seat and dismount.

......The other method is for me to get on first, with the bike on the side stand, as if I were going to ride it. Then I use the footpegs to help me get up and back onto the rear seat. Dave then gets on in front. To get off, I wait til he's off, then slide down into the driver's seat and dismount.

That method works great for my wife on the RT. I might add that I also maintain a firm grip on the left hand grip during this process.

I have always used the same method, me on first and my pillion steps up on the left rear peg. Always on and off from the left side. She does not move to get on or off before I give the ok especially on my 640 that has a 37” seat height so I only have toes of one foot down. Personally I never get on or off my bike on the sidestand.
Cozy
i-bvjJwkK-L.jpg

I ride my own bike, usually, but when we're at a rally or something, I'll go 2 up on my husband's RT. We've tried a couple of different methods for me to get on the back. Usually, he gets on first and holds the bike up straight. With the rear footpegs out, facing the left side of the bike, I step onto the left peg with my left foot, left hand on his shoulder and right hand on the top case. As I step up, I slide my right foot between him and the top case, turning to face front as my foot clears the seat and heads down to the right peg. I find getting off a little trickier, as I need to pivot my left foot on the peg so I'm facing sideways before I step down to the ground (and I'm not very flexible).

The other method is for me to get on first, with the bike on the side stand, as if I were going to ride it. Then I use the footpegs to help me get up and back onto the rear seat. Dave then gets on in front. To get off, I wait til he's off, then slide down into the driver's seat and dismount.

This is a great help. Thank You!!! We will practice this weekend. It would help if we lost a few pounds.

Back