Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: '78 R100/7 front brake worth saving?

Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    I like the idea of going to an aftermarket rotor and pads along with a braided ss line. My preference is EBC or Ferodo. You might want to replace the cable as well. Most cost effective use of your money.
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagethumper View Post
    This is all very helpful. I’m ok with vintage brakes, so long as they‘re good ones. But my commute is a twisty road through the hills (near Laguna Seca) and there are deer around. In its current state, this front brake is unacceptable. If I can repair it so it’s a 2-finger brake, rather than the current 4-finger brake, I’ll be good to go, er, stop.
    I agree with Bruce, and would probably go that route myself next time if I were to retain the ATE caliper(s). But, getting to two-finger operation with an ATE brake and under-tank MC may be a challenge.

I converted my /7 from single to dual disc (ATE), retaining an under-the-tank master cylinder as I preferred the cleaner look at the handlebar and like period correctness of the ATE setup. I also went to braided stainless lines and EBC floating rotors and matching pads. It made a huge difference in improving stopping power. But two-finger operation it is not. It still requires firm pull and doesn't offer the best feel. Compared to the dual disc Brembo setup on my RS, I prefer the latter which is at least as powerful and seems to have better feel/control. I am happy with the setup on the /7 for what I was shooting for, but if I were to do it again, I'd probably opt to have just kept the single rotor with the mods Bruce suggested and tailored my riding accordingly, saving my more spirited rides for the RS or perhaps gone the rout of a handlebar mounted MC (which I don't care for as much in appearance).

FWIW, I also went to the braided lines, EBC rotors, and EBC pads on the RS and saw nice improvements to power and feel.
    Jim (MOA 83200)
    '78 R80/7 (Anastasia) and '84 R100RS (The Millennium Falcon), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

I sure appreciate all the advice. It's been a valuable reality check on what to expect from the OEM ATE brake as well as from a modified system. So far, I've just replaced the fluid, de-glazed the rotor and aligned the caliper and have already noticed an improvement. Next up will be EBC pads and a new cable. If I can get this brake to work a little better than the drum brakes from that era, I'll be satisfied. And my checkbook thanks you for letting me know the dual front brake didn't help all that much!

Quote Originally Posted by vintagethumper View Post
    I sure appreciate all the advice. It's been a valuable reality check on what to expect from the OEM ATE brake as well as from a modified system. So far, I've just replaced the fluid, de-glazed the rotor and aligned the caliper and have already noticed an improvement. Next up will be EBC pads and a new cable. If I can get this brake to work a little better than the drum brakes from that era, I'll be satisfied. And my checkbook thanks you for letting me know the dual front brake didn't help all that much!
    I don't think the single disk ATE setup will out perform a properly set-up /5 drum setup. BMW had to use a disk for style reasons given the new Japanese competition. But the wisdom in 1976 was that the brakes were not as good as the /5 drum set.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I don't think the single disk ATE setup will out perform a properly set-up /5 drum setup. BMW had to use a disk for style reasons given the new Japanese competition. But the wisdom in 1976 was that the brakes were not as good as the /5 drum set.
    During all the years and 140K+ miles I had my '76 R90/6 the one thing I always wanted to do and never did was to convert to a dual disc front end.

Quote Originally Posted by VIEJO View Post
    During all the years and 140K+ miles I had my '76 R90/6 the one thing I always wanted to do and never did was to convert to a dual disc front end.
    I'm in the process of restoring my '74 R90/6, albit slow. One of several upgrades will be the addition of the 2nd ATE brake and will be a dual disc frontend.

braking

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    My experience is exactly the opposite. Even with fresh shoes and a pretty decent hub, my slash 5 braking is not as effective as my /7 was with ATE's. But then again that was a dual ATE setup. However, I didn't think that the ATE's were really up to snuff so I converted to a dual Brembo set up. IMOH much better and a lot less fiddly on the set up.

Quote Originally Posted by FELAW View Post
    My experience is exactly the opposite. Even with fresh shoes and a pretty decent hub, my slash 5 braking is not as effective as my /7 was with ATE's. But then again that was a dual ATE setup. However, I didn't think that the ATE's were really up to snuff so I converted to a dual Brembo set up. IMOH much better and a lot less fiddly on the set up.
    We are not disagreeing. Yes, if you doubled the braking to two disks it was better than the drums, but conventional wisdom was that the single disk was not. And yes, the Brembo setup was much better than the ATE stuff.

ATE Singe Disk = BMW's original anti-lock brakes.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

On my R90 build, I'm just maintaining the old school look. I'm adding some period accessories to amplify that look. I figure if it's good enough for the revered R90S, it's good enough for my more pedestrian /6.

Have any of you tried the brake master cylinder conversion kit from Moto-Bins? It includes a handlebar mounted master cylinder that's designed to use the original throttle pipe and switches, steel braided lines and other pieces needed for the conversion. And if you have, was there a significant improvement in braking power?

jimmy armour

handlebar master cylinder conversion

well yes a big difference see my earlier post amongst others mine is 13mm ,hope this assists Jimmy