• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Check Twice for Motorcycles

I'll shorten a long story.......

Not long ago, I saw a guy on a motorcycle try to answer a cell phone , while riding. It didn't go well, he did OK I suppose, but his dropped phone was no match for that utility truck..............:thumb

Sometimes things do turnout well.

Well, at least there is a fine in some states. Arizona just signed a "no texting while driving" law, but it is not even going to be enforced until 1/1/2021! WTH?

I say, $1000 for the first offense, double that for the next one, and license suspension and vehicle impoundment if there is a 3rd. I am just sick of this crap!

Most recently I am seeing kids riding their bicycles with no hands on the handlebars so they can text with both hands...

Now here in Arvada CO on this lovely paved bicycle path which we ride on very frequently we NEVER see the offending material anywhere for all 15 miles of it. I think the posted penalty plays a role in this!

IMG_0720.jpg

Saw a rider recently, who I guess thought he was doing his part for motorcycle awareness or perhaps just imaged himself as being clever. He was riding a V-Twin (The brand doesn't matter) with straight pipes and passing cars on a two lane road, over the double yellow line. His T-Shirt had a motorcycle awareness slogan on the back, "Watch For Motorcycles, A$$H&%#".

Not very helpful in promoting motorcycles safety, or creating a positive image, huh. Yeah, he made me aware of him, but not in a positive manner. :banghead

Saw a rider recently, who I guess thought he was doing his part for motorcycle awareness or perhaps just imaged himself as being clever. He was riding a V-Twin (The brand doesn't matter) with straight pipes and passing cars on a two lane road, over the double yellow line. His T-Shirt had a motorcycle awareness slogan on the back, "Watch For Motorcycles, A$$H&%#".

Not very helpful in promoting motorcycles safety, or creating a positive image, huh. Yeah, he made me aware of him, but not in a positive manner. :banghead

The other shirt may have been dirty, so he had to wear that one. You know the slogan......"if you can read this......"

Ah yes, classic motorcyle humor. Indeed.

In Ontario

First offence: 3 days suspension and $1,000 fine
Second offence: 7 days suspension and $2,000 fine
Three or more offences: 30 days suspension, $3,000 fine and six demerit points

As far as I can see, it makes little difference in peoples behavior. I still see plenty of drivers texting. Texting has become a part of our culture. It's unstoppable.

That is surprising. Is there much enforcement of the law and punishments outlined?

Back