Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2016 R1200RS Dash

2016 R1200RS Dash

The dash on this thing, to put it plainly, sucks. Apparently BMW thought so, too, since they replaced it on the R1250. So, are there any options, besides buying a new R1250RS?

The dash was one of the reasons I did not buy an R1200RS. It is unlikely that you have any real options given the amount of electronics involved. If you don't have a BMW Navigator GPS, look into getting one since there is additional bike info available on it and it is integrated into the Wonder-Wheel. Other than that, R1250RS. (or Ducati 950, or ...)
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Quote Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
    The dash on this thing, to put it plainly, sucks. Apparently BMW thought so, too, since they replaced it on the R1250. So, are there any options, besides buying a new R1250RS?
    If it's the visibility that bothers you, the brightness is adjustable. I found it hard to see in bright sunlight until I turned up the brightness.
    Tod
    2016 R1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    If you don't have a BMW Navigator GPS, look into getting one since there is additional bike info available on it and it is integrated into the Wonder-Wheel. Other than that, R1250RS. (or Ducati 950, or ...)
    I agree, I use my Nav V as my dash.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I live in very sunny southern Idaho, and the problem is the reflection off the dash and the amount of info crammed into the small space makes it difficult to use. I have a Nav V on it, but due to the bright sunny days we invariably have, it is usually washed out and nearly useless. A Ducati would be nice, but since we have no Ducati dealers within 200 miles, you’d best be handy with a wrench. I own an ST3S. But, now that I think of it, we really no longer have a BMW dealer here either.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
    I live in very sunny southern Idaho, and the problem is the reflection off the dash and the amount of info crammed into the small space makes it difficult to use. I have a Nav V on it, but due to the bright sunny days we invariably have, it is usually washed out and nearly useless. A Ducati would be nice, but since we have no Ducati dealers within 200 miles, you’d best be handy with a wrench. I own an ST3S. But, now that I think of it, we really no longer have a BMW dealer here either.
    Just making sure you're aware the contrast on the dash can be adjusted.
    You also have 3 options on how much info is displayed on the dash.
    Last edited by Lee; 10-09-2019 at 03:49 PM.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Perhaps an anti-glare screen protector would help. I have used them on a GPS before with good results. This company makes one for your dashboard I think.
    https://www.speedo-angels.com/produc...een-protector/

My huge issue with mine: a huge round analog speedo that is hard to read and a digital bar for a tach that is impossible to read. The rest is just fluff anyway and you look down when you can but not critical.
    Gator

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    My huge issue with mine: a huge round analog speedo that is hard to read and a digital bar for a tach that is impossible to read.
    I wish it had a large analog tach and a digital speedometer.

I don't look at the dash very often because I'm usually in the mid range for RPMs and BMW speedometers are not accurate.
    I look at the Nav V for speed and when I need other information I bump the wonder wheel to display 16 values on one screen.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I wish it had a large analog tach and a digital speedometer.

I don't look at the dash very often because I'm usually in the mid range for RPMs and BMW speedometers are not accurate.
    I look at the Nav V for speed and when I need other information I bump the wonder wheel to display 16 values on one screen.
    Rarely do I look at the dash and I removed the BMW NAV mount.

So, when the Officer asks ........ "Sir, do you know how fast ......". I can truthfully answer, "No, Sir"
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Rarely do I look at the dash and I removed the BMW NAV mount.

So, when the Officer asks ........ "Sir, do you know how fast ......". I can truthfully answer, "No, Sir"
    Ah! So then he gets you for speeding and for inattentive driving (riding).
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Ah! So then he gets you for speeding and for inattentive driving (riding).
    In the end, wit, charm and a sheepish, though, clueless smile is all I got.

Once I was stopped in the Finger Lake region of NY. I got a warning and a few recommendations on wineries to visit. Beat that.....Mr. Glaves.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

In the end, wit, charm and a sheepish, though, clueless smile is all I got.

Once I was stopped in the Finger Lake region of NY. I got a warning and a few recommendations on wineries to visit. Beat that.....Mr. Glaves.
    I can't beat it but I can match it. I was stopped on Washington Highway 14 along the Columbia River Gorge. After a chat he mentioned he noticed we had camping gear. Then proceeded to tell us about all of the several campgrounds along the road up to Windy Ridge. He recommended we skip the first one and go to the second one. We said thanks and he said have a nice day.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I can't beat it but I can match it. I was stopped on Washington Highway 14 along the Columbia River Gorge. After a chat he mentioned he noticed we had camping gear. Then proceeded to tell us about all of the several campgrounds along the road up to Windy Ridge. He recommended we skip the first one and go to the second one. We said thanks and he said have a nice day.
    Yeah, but...........you said "we had camping gear". Would it have been the same story if it had been "I had camping gear"??

Yeah, but...........you said "we had camping gear". Would it have been the same story if it had been "I had camping gear"??
    Voni's smile beats a clueless smile any day...
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT