• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 R1200RS Dash

zoomie

The dash on this thing, to put it plainly, sucks. Apparently BMW thought so, too, since they replaced it on the R1250. So, are there any options, besides buying a new R1250RS? :banghead

The dash was one of the reasons I did not buy an R1200RS. It is unlikely that you have any real options given the amount of electronics involved. If you don't have a BMW Navigator GPS, look into getting one since there is additional bike info available on it and it is integrated into the Wonder-Wheel. Other than that, R1250RS. (or Ducati 950, or ...)

The dash on this thing, to put it plainly, sucks. Apparently BMW thought so, too, since they replaced it on the R1250. So, are there any options, besides buying a new R1250RS? :banghead

If it's the visibility that bothers you, the brightness is adjustable. I found it hard to see in bright sunlight until I turned up the brightness.

If you don't have a BMW Navigator GPS, look into getting one since there is additional bike info available on it and it is integrated into the Wonder-Wheel. Other than that, R1250RS. (or Ducati 950, or ...)

I agree, I use my Nav V as my dash.

I live in very sunny southern Idaho, and the problem is the reflection off the dash and the amount of info crammed into the small space makes it difficult to use. I have a Nav V on it, but due to the bright sunny days we invariably have, it is usually washed out and nearly useless. A Ducati would be nice, but since we have no Ducati dealers within 200 miles, you’d best be handy with a wrench. I own an ST3S. But, now that I think of it, we really no longer have a BMW dealer here either. :banghead

I live in very sunny southern Idaho, and the problem is the reflection off the dash and the amount of info crammed into the small space makes it difficult to use. I have a Nav V on it, but due to the bright sunny days we invariably have, it is usually washed out and nearly useless. A Ducati would be nice, but since we have no Ducati dealers within 200 miles, you’d best be handy with a wrench. I own an ST3S. But, now that I think of it, we really no longer have a BMW dealer here either. :banghead

Just making sure you're aware the contrast on the dash can be adjusted.
You also have 3 options on how much info is displayed on the dash.

Last edited:
My huge issue with mine: a huge round analog speedo that is hard to read and a digital bar for a tach that is impossible to read. The rest is just fluff anyway and you look down when you can but not critical.
Gator

My huge issue with mine: a huge round analog speedo that is hard to read and a digital bar for a tach that is impossible to read.

I wish it had a large analog tach and a digital speedometer.

I don't look at the dash very often because I'm usually in the mid range for RPMs and BMW speedometers are not accurate.
I look at the Nav V for speed and when I need other information I bump the wonder wheel to display 16 values on one screen.

I wish it had a large analog tach and a digital speedometer.

I don't look at the dash very often because I'm usually in the mid range for RPMs and BMW speedometers are not accurate.
I look at the Nav V for speed and when I need other information I bump the wonder wheel to display 16 values on one screen.

Rarely do I look at the dash and I removed the BMW NAV mount.

So, when the Officer asks ........ "Sir, do you know how fast ......". I can truthfully answer, "No, Sir"

Rarely do I look at the dash and I removed the BMW NAV mount.

So, when the Officer asks ........ "Sir, do you know how fast ......". I can truthfully answer, "No, Sir"

Ah! So then he gets you for speeding and for inattentive driving (riding). :wave

Ah! So then he gets you for speeding and for inattentive driving (riding). :wave

In the end, wit, charm and a sheepish, though, clueless smile is all I got.

Once I was stopped in the Finger Lake region of NY. I got a warning and a few recommendations on wineries to visit. Beat that.....Mr. Glaves.

In the end, wit, charm and a sheepish, though, clueless smile is all I got.

Once I was stopped in the Finger Lake region of NY. I got a warning and a few recommendations on wineries to visit. Beat that.....Mr. Glaves.

I can't beat it but I can match it. I was stopped on Washington Highway 14 along the Columbia River Gorge. After a chat he mentioned he noticed we had camping gear. Then proceeded to tell us about all of the several campgrounds along the road up to Windy Ridge. He recommended we skip the first one and go to the second one. We said thanks and he said have a nice day.

I can't beat it but I can match it. I was stopped on Washington Highway 14 along the Columbia River Gorge. After a chat he mentioned he noticed we had camping gear. Then proceeded to tell us about all of the several campgrounds along the road up to Windy Ridge. He recommended we skip the first one and go to the second one. We said thanks and he said have a nice day.

Yeah, but...........you said "we had camping gear". Would it have been the same story if it had been "I had camping gear"??

...a digital bar for a tach that is impossible to read...

I found the digital bar difficult to read, but then I switched the display from "Sport" to "Full" and like it much better. In "Full", the numbers double in size when the bar passes under them.

But I was tempted to go to a 1250 with the nice, colour, display.

I can't beat it but I can match it.

When I was a youngster in my mid 60s, I was stopped for speeding on my bright red Moto Guzzi on I-5 by the Washington State Patrol. As he walked up, I took my helmet off, and the cop bent over laughing. “Usually I just stop young guys on these things”, he said. I was then gruffly ordered to stay on the bike, and I received his lecture about the dangers of motorcycles and a very expensive speeding ticket.

On the topic of gauges, the best I’ve ever had was in my Mazda RX 8, a large analog tach with a digital speedometer set in it right in front of the driver. How hard can this be?

Thanks for the glare shield suggestion. I’ll look into it.

My huge issue with mine: a huge round analog speedo that is hard to read and a digital bar for a tach that is impossible to read. The rest is just fluff anyway and you look down when you can but not critical.
Gator

Have you tried option #2 on the dash selection. Large numbers for speed and gear selection:dance

Back