Thread: Anyone using the Haynes service manual

Anyone using the Haynes service manual

As the heading suggests, I'm looking for input -- the good, bad and ugly -- for anyone using the Hayes service manual for the 2013-on R1200GS. It is quite inexpensive.
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/17852128...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I have one and find it to be very useful. It is an excellent companion to all of the You Tube videos which are often very short on important details.
    Neal - '16 R1200GS / '81 R65

Good, but the photos are awful

I use Haynes manuals, but always cross reference torque values, etc. with the owners booklet that comes with the bike. Iím actually starting a 24k service today on my 12RT, and my method is to set up my old laptop with a a JVB service video, and cross reference with the Haynes manual and owners booklet. The photos in every Haynes manual Iíve ever owned are not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by OGOBRacing View Post
    As the heading suggests, I'm looking for input -- the good, bad and ugly -- for anyone using the Hayes service manual for the 2013-on R1200GS. It is quite inexpensive.
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/17852128...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I have the R1200 '13 to '16 Haynes manual. It is better than nothing and does include a wiring diagram. It is not as good as the BMW manual, but it is also about 1/5th the cost.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

R1200 13-16 Manual

I have it and it has come in handy on several occasions. I use JVB and Boxflyer's video for my service, but the manual did come in very handy when I had to remove the headlight assemble. The wiring diagram is also nice. For $20 it has been well worth the investment.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it.

Was worth the price to me. Pictures are grainy but usable. Like poco183, it helped me when I removed and re-installed the headlight assembly. I hope it's as useful when I swap out the front and rear shocks.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I always find that it take 2 manuals or sources. One to help the understanding of the other.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

The Haynes manual is worth it's weight in gold just for the wiring diagram alone! That's some that's NOT in the $100+ BMW DVD.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    I have the R1200 '13 to '16 Haynes manual. It is better than nothing and does include a wiring diagram. It is not as good as the BMW manual, but it is also about 1/5th the cost.
    I use the same... the digital version on my phone/ipad. I'll be using it again tomorrow for an oil change. it's an excellent companion for routine services and torque references.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

The marginally higher cost of the official Service DVD available from BMW is more than outweighed by the better quality and usefulness compared to Haynes manuals. A way smarter choice.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    The marginally higher cost of the official Service DVD available from BMW is more than outweighed by the better quality and usefulness compared to Haynes manuals. A way smarter choice.
    Max BMW has the Repaid DVD for $111.17, the Haynes manual from Amazon is $20.68 I have both, got the Haynes manual long before the Repair DVD was available. I find it helpful to have both. Yes the BMW Repair DVD is of much more helpful but some of the pictures and descriptions are very useful from Haynes. Your budget will help you chose.

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    Max BMW has the Repaid DVD for $111.17, the Haynes manual from Amazon is $20.68 I have both, got the Haynes manual long before the Repair DVD was available. I find it helpful to have both. Yes the BMW Repair DVD is of much more helpful but some of the pictures and descriptions are very useful from Haynes. Your budget will help you chose.
    I have both as well. I'm still blown away that the BMW DVD doesn't have any wiring information. Gobsmacked if a better descriptor.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition