• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Master Cylinder rehabbed '88 K75C

rall275

Thanks to Lee 98 I rehabbed my leaking master cylinder. I'll share a few photos but first a short narrative.

Only issue I had was separating the master cylinder from the bike after removing all the screws necessary because it had stuck from crud and had to be tapped apart. The piston was in good condition, the rubber was intact. The bore looked good, but I cleaned it out anyhow. The throttle chain/cam needed to be cleaned out and relubbed, as the old lube was dried out or absent.

Reservoir was leaking from the o-ring underneath. Replaced this, the reservoir, cover, and rubber flap inside. I repainted it and it has worked well and not leaked.

Photos:
1. crusty brake fluid on master cylinder
2. cover off. Note lack of lubrication
3. piston pulled out of MC. Was in good condition
4. Master cylinder after cleaning/painting
5. old reservoir/new reservoir. Note crusted and shrunken o ring on original
6. Put together without the cap or grip on
7. Have the cap and grip on now. mirror still not attached
8. MC with attached reservoir all shiny and painted

I changed front pads, added Spiegler brake lines, removed/cleaned/rehabbed throttle body, replaced the cooling fan and rehabbed coolant system. Maybe I'll post photos of those projects if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Attachments

• manpaintedsml.jpg
    manpaintedsml.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 31
  • coveroffsml.jpg
    coveroffsml.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 32
  • mconsml.jpg
    mconsml.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 31
  • mctogetheragainsml.jpg
    mctogetheragainsml.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 31
  • newmasterreservsml.jpg
    newmasterreservsml.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 31
  • newresoldsml.jpg
    newresoldsml.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 31
  • mcpistonsml.jpg
    mcpistonsml.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 31
  • oldcrustmcsml.jpg
    oldcrustmcsml.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 32
The seals on the piston are worn. They might still be sealing, but they are supposed to have a very sharp lip on both seals. They right had one looks much more worn than the left hand one which is also worn.

:dance:dance:dance

Back