Thread: R100 Top End Rattle

R100 Top End Rattle

Iíve got an R80 G/S with an R100 motor in it. Runs great but makes what sounds like a top end rattling noise on a rising throttle. Not throughout the entire rev range, though. Went in and tightened the rocker arm clearance so movement is nearly nil but you can see the oil squish. Retorqued rockers and heads to 25ft lbs, set valves to .006/.008 and noise seemed to go away. Then it came back, so I went through same process again, but the rattling persists. Mostly on right side. Shaft wear? Top end done by Memphis Motor Werkes less than 15K ago. Whatís next?

Quote Originally Posted by GSJOELPARKS View Post
    Iíve got an R80 G/S with an R100 motor in it. Runs great but makes what sounds like a top end rattling noise on a rising throttle. Not throughout the entire rev range, though. Went in and tightened the rocker arm clearance so movement is nearly nil but you can see the oil squish. Retorqued rockers and heads to 25ft lbs, set valves to .006/.008 and noise seemed to go away. Then it came back, so I went through same process again, but the rattling persists. Mostly on right side. Shaft wear? Top end done by Memphis Motor Werkes less than 15K ago. Whatís next?
    How many miles on the bike, and when was the last time the timing chain and tensioner were inspected or replaced?

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S-PD ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT ó 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Check for threads pulling from the block

You checked and fixed the "rocker arm clearance" and the noise went away but came back after some time. Its time to check the torque values on the cylinder and head bolts to rule out the possibility that the cylinder studs might be pulling out of the block. Its not a death sentence for the motor if this is whats going on but you really want to figure it out and fix it before it does become one.

Pull your Tappets out and have a look they can crack and eventually break doing bad damage to lower end bearings. you don't want to know how I know this.
    Mine sounded like pinging at rpm's that you would normally not hear pinging.
    Gator