• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Off to a rocky restart

CANTDANCE

I bought my 4th BMW in as many decades earlier this year, '95 R1100RS with a couple issues, preceded by (2) /6s and a short lived K1100... with my work schedule I entrusted a guy I've known nearly 30 years to service the bike, replace the tires and all the fuel line. I had a great 70 mile ride home, topped off the tank 30 miles shy, on arrival I found fuel leaking/pouring out of the drain line (ruptured inside the tank)- apparently my acquaintance translated "all the fuel line" to "all the fuel line that's easy to get to"... I have no plan to trust this guy again. Nearby dealers out of stock... what I ordered was advertised as SAE30R10 but has no such marking, despite assurances I am not inclined to install it inside my tank. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Sorry to hear about your troubles, CANTDANCE. But, on the bright side …

… Welcome to the forum!

Someone will undoubtedly come along soon with some info that will help you out. This forum always comes through on the tough technical issues.

Good luck.

Hi, CD, and welcome aboard!

R10 is the right stuff; if it isn't marked, it'll depend entirely on how much you trust the source... and if you can't, just go on down to your FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store - it does Not "have to" come from BMW) and get some replacement hose and save the other stuff for "outside" and "not under fuel injection's pressure". Have to wonder also if the new lines were actually hooked up correctly, and with the "flat" clamps and not the serrated ones... Get a new O-ring for the pump assembly cover before you take it apart again, and be gentle with that assembly as you remove & re-install it (do not over-torque those little screws); note its orientation by drawing a little short line with a marker across the flange & the tank.

Hey, I can almost do the dinosaur stomp...

finally...

Thanks for the responses, after an embarrassing amount of time with the bike partially disassembled due to work, other obligations and being intimidated by compromised close vision (endless excuses provided upon request) I finally disconnected and removed the tank after charging and reconnecting the battery to check for signs of fuel pump operation... there was no sound... time for a new pump I guess?

Check the fuse first, then check the tank connector at the right rear side: separate the two halves and re-seat.

(MOD - maybe move this over to Oilheads?)

Back