• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Women's Riding Gear

shortythorne

shortythorne
I am starting to shop again for a new riding suit, and I am in a quandary :banghead. I have used BMW for years because it is pretty good & fits me. The last two suits I've purchased have been the GS Dry Suit which is 100% waterproof for about 2 years of hard use, but the collar is way too short & you will get damp around the neck in a heavy, day long rain. I am considering another option considering the cost of this suit and the fact that it doesn't last very long. I am a big believer in Aerostich (Paul has worn out several Darien jackets), but even with the "alterations" they offer for women's sizing, they just don't fit me :cry. I do think it is the best riding gear available, especially if you don't mind the look. Also, just about all the better gear available for women has the now popular "low rise" waist in the pants. Now who ever came up with this brilliant idea needs to be shot. Unless your 20 and look like Twiggy (remember her?), the last thing you want is low rise riding pants. I thought I had found the solution when one of the BMW ON had an article about the KLIM Artemis suit, but it also has a low rise waist and got terrible reviews for it. I tried the jacket on at the National and the sleeves were so tight in the elbow area it was unreal. Who designs this stuff? Other than that, the jacket felt wonderful, but the sleeves are a deal breaker for me. I literally don't know what I am going to do for riding gear! My latest GS Dry suit is still waterproof, but the Velcro is tearing off the collar. I take very good care of my gear, but it gets a hard workout and MUST keep me dry. I use the BMW Airflow suit now that the weather is hot, but it is beginning to wear pretty thin after one year of use! I also own a Aerostich one piece Roadcrafter, which is probably what I'll end up using, but the damn thing is just not comfortable. I feel like I'm in a straight jacket, and there is just too much material pushing up in front of me when I'm sitting on the bike. I think I'm just too short for the design, as with the Darien jacket. They recommended that I start with a 34 R (jacket), but the alterations don't include any shortening of the length or making the girth smaller, so it won't work for me, and I would still need pants. I would like to hear from any women that ride concerning what gear works best for you. Thanks in advance...Gail

I can't respond from the woman's point of view -- but does Aerostitch offer a "ride-in" custom measuring service? The folks in Duluth seem awfully nice, and they certainly have the capabilities to offer a "made-to-order" version of their suit. When I visited the home store a year or so ago, they gave me me a full tour of the store, including their cutting/measuring/manufacturing areas. And the ride up to Duluth isn't too bad! You can ride up the Mississippi River Road and have a great time!

Good luck!

How about the FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket? I've had good results with FirstGear items in general, the Kili in particular, and notice that they do offer women's sizes.

How about the FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket? I've had good results with FirstGear items in general, the Kili in particular, and notice that they do offer women's sizes.

I have the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and HT over pants that I really like, and overall prefer the high waist fit. It's a good look, IMHO.
I also have the gray KLIM Artemis (red trim) jacket and pants. Not much of a fan of the low waist, but other than that, the suit fits really well.

Last edited:
but does Aerostitch offer a "ride-in" custom measuring service? The folks in Duluth seem awfully nice, and they certainly have the capabilities to offer a "made-to-order" version of their suit.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Just so all will know....I called Aerostich this am and inquired about a "custom" fit & told them I would be more than glad to ride to Duluth to be fitted. I got a resounding NO. Assuming I am talking to someone who knows what they are talking about, they told me the "custom" meant shortening the sleeves & a gusset at the hem of the jacket. The smallest size is a man's 34R. Wouldn't even talk to me about narrowing the shoulders or shortening the length of the body. For me this would mean that the waist of the jacket would strike me somewhere around mid-butt :laugh. They are nice folks and make a good product but not willing to accommodate more than a few minor alterations. I don't sew, so I can't say whether this is something they could do or won't do :dunno. Thanks....Gail

Motoport

I am going to put a plug in for Motoport. Both my wife and I have purchased their pants. She bought one style and I bought another. Women for some reason seem to have a more variable body type then us old fat guys. My wife sent in a really good fitting pair of jeans when she ordered the pants. When they came back, they fit here perfectly. I bought an overpant style and they fit pretty good with the measurements that I provided. I have had mine resized due to some weight loss and they did a great job. We have had the pants for going on 5 years and they are showing very little wear.

Iabout all the better gear available for women has the now popular "low rise" waist in the pants. Now who ever came up with this brilliant idea needs to be shot. Unless your 20 and look like Twiggy (remember her?), Gail

My wfe prefers low rise waist because it does not cut in when leaned forward in the riding position.
This summer she tried the new Artemis pants and did not like the thin material at back of the waist and said they slide down too easy.
She bought the 2019 version of the Klim Altitude pants and liked that waist better.
The material at back of the waist was stiffer and the waist stays in place.
Finding good riding gear for women can be challenge, especially if your short or tall.

Awful and Awesome Motorcycle Gear

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lwwlvi1hf10" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My latest GS Dry suit is still waterproof, but the Velcro is tearing off the collar.

Have you considered keeping the suit, but taking it to a really good tailor to have a new (and higher) collar put on? Not sure if they could do that, but it'd be worth asking the question.

I had a Kili jacket for years and loved it. Ordered a new one a couple of years ago and the style was completely different - not at all satisfactory.
Currently have the Klim Artemis jacket that I bought in Lebanon. Haven't taken it on any long trips, but it seems to fit well enough.

I agree on the pants issue. Haven't found a pair yet that's functional and comfortable.

Good luck!!
HSV Karen

You might also consider Olympia pants. My wife searched (and tried on) a lot of pants before she found Olympia to be a good fit. (she does not look like Twiggy...)

Wife got a pair of "Hawke" mesh pants on Amazon she likes. What a pain it is finding female riding pant. It's either really expensive or biker styled clothes. Jackets are a little more forgiving than pants from what I hear.

Back