Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R-18

R-18

I spotted this video this morning:

My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Very well done video. I find it hard to believe that there will be an open shaft drive in the US.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Ah yes, the open drive shaft. Very cool and very dangerous. Maybe a good idea not to wear your bell bottom Jordache disco jeans on this bike. Ps I can still fit in mine from the 70's. Just in case John Travolta makes a comeback in Saturday Night Fever II. Just Stayin Alive!

I don't think that the open shaft drive is much of a risk. It's a smooth surface with nothing to grab a pant leg. Anyone who has ever used a woodworking lathe is used to reaching out and touching workpieces while they spin. It's accepted practice and just doesn't seem to incur any risk. Also, nearly all early shaft drive bikes had open shafts and there isn't any history of gory rider to shaft contact. Given how much we all like a gory story, if it happened, it would be part of the lore.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Cant wait to see more of this. Open shaft is really cool idea,.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Perhaps an “exposed” shaft with a slip covering, similar to what is seen on agricultural equipment. But with a fully exposed shaft it will be only a matter of time before the first lawsuit is filed.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Ah yes, the open drive shaft. Very cool and very dangerous. Maybe a good idea not to wear your bell bottom Jordache disco jeans on this bike. Ps I can still fit in mine from the 70's. Just in case John Travolta makes a comeback in Saturday Night Fever II. Just Stayin Alive!
    Thank you for the laugh. While I salute your ability to fit into your disco wear, for love the of God and all that is sacred, please dont.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    Cant wait to see more of this. Open shaft is really cool idea,.
    PTO shaft accidents come to mind
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Some of the V STARS have open drive shifts. I haven't heard of any problems.

Very cool and beautiful bike!
    Bob Smith
    1998 R1200C
    2005 Rocket III

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Can't wait to see it in the flesh. Great looking machine!
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    PTO shaft accidents come to mind
    One does have to consider this. I work frequently with a Kubota tractor with PTO attachments and am well aware of accidents occurring with this equipment. There are however significant differences I think, between a tractor PTO and an exposed shaft on a motorcycle.

Diameter, shape and surface finish - A PTO Shaft outer diameter is 3" plus, not truly round with a grippy surface finish and has a coupler at the output end and a U-Joint at the working end. From photos the bike has a small diameter, highly polished shaft with no fabric "catchers" at either end.

Inertia - Most PTO implements operate with tremendous inertia. The gearbox on a rotary cutter (bush hog) increases rpm from 540 at the tractor output to over 15,000 at the tip of the heavy blades. The inertia of this heavy mass creates a "wrap" force on the shaft that continues even after power to the shaft is removed and even as it spins down to very low rpm. This force is vastly reduced on a motorcycle application, it seems to me.

Testing - One can be very sure that BMW has done extensive testing which would include attempts to entangle, and come up with a safe system.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Tell it to Isadora Duncan.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post

Friedle

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post

Friedle
    Ms Duncan wore a long scarf which became tangled in the open spoke wheels of the car she was riding in. Way more hazardous than pants and a smooth driveshaft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amilcar_CGSS
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...