• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R-18

AKsuited

I spotted this video this morning:

<iframe width="946" height="532" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KUGzfP6VNKI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very well done video. I find it hard to believe that there will be an open shaft drive in the US.

Ah yes, the open drive shaft. Very cool and very dangerous. Maybe a good idea not to wear your bell bottom Jordache disco jeans on this bike. Ps I can still fit in mine from the 70's. Just in case John Travolta makes a comeback in Saturday Night Fever II. Just Stayin Alive!:dance

I don't think that the open shaft drive is much of a risk. It's a smooth surface with nothing to grab a pant leg. Anyone who has ever used a woodworking lathe is used to reaching out and touching workpieces while they spin. It's accepted practice and just doesn't seem to incur any risk. Also, nearly all early shaft drive bikes had open shafts and there isn't any history of gory rider to shaft contact. Given how much we all like a gory story, if it happened, it would be part of the lore.

Perhaps an “exposed” shaft with a slip covering, similar to what is seen on agricultural equipment. But with a fully exposed shaft it will be only a matter of time before the first lawsuit is filed.

Best,
DeVern

Ah yes, the open drive shaft. Very cool and very dangerous. Maybe a good idea not to wear your bell bottom Jordache disco jeans on this bike. Ps I can still fit in mine from the 70's. Just in case John Travolta makes a comeback in Saturday Night Fever II. Just Stayin Alive!:dance

Thank you for the laugh. While I salute your ability to fit into your disco wear, for love the of God and all that is sacred, please dont.

PTO shaft accidents come to mind

One does have to consider this. I work frequently with a Kubota tractor with PTO attachments and am well aware of accidents occurring with this equipment. There are however significant differences I think, between a tractor PTO and an exposed shaft on a motorcycle.

Diameter, shape and surface finish - A PTO Shaft outer diameter is 3" plus, not truly round with a grippy surface finish and has a coupler at the output end and a U-Joint at the working end. From photos the bike has a small diameter, highly polished shaft with no fabric "catchers" at either end.

Inertia - Most PTO implements operate with tremendous inertia. The gearbox on a rotary cutter (bush hog) increases rpm from 540 at the tractor output to over 15,000 at the tip of the heavy blades. The inertia of this heavy mass creates a "wrap" force on the shaft that continues even after power to the shaft is removed and even as it spins down to very low rpm. This force is vastly reduced on a motorcycle application, it seems to me.

Testing - One can be very sure that BMW has done extensive testing which would include attempts to entangle, and come up with a safe system.

Tell it to Isadora Duncan. :dunno

Friedle

:ha

Screen%20Shot%202019-09-15%20at%207.34.38%20PM-M.png

Ms Duncan wore a long scarf which became tangled in the open spoke wheels of the car she was riding in. Way more hazardous than pants and a smooth driveshaft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amilcar_CGSS

Yes but there Is always the exception out there with an accident just waiting to happen. I worked around conveyors and rotating shafts for several years and have viewed several shaft drive injuries. The worst was a young female operator operating a air gun with a long shaft and screw bit to getting to a hidden screw in a van assembly in an auto plant. Was holding the gun above her shoulder waiting for the next van to come into station, clicked the trigger and her long hair tangled onto the shaft. Being a torque air drive,it didn’t stop until it reached torque against her scalp. Painful but not as much as wen the repairman forgot to reverse the travel before hitting the trigger to back out. Tore the hair and scalp right off her head leaving a large jagged bald space. Ouch. Point is, it more like a six sigma probability of 4 parts per million opportunities.......statistically small, but definitely within the realm of reality.

Back