Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Paris to Install Noise Tracking Cameras

Paris to Install Noise Tracking Cameras

So waddya all think about this? I generally don't like automated camera based law enforcement, but living in a community that is a destination for way too many excessively noisy bikes, there are days when I think drone strikes would be justified.

Coincidently, my wife and I recently spent most of a week in Paris and I was surprised at how loud many scooters were. I can see how local residents are fed up with the offenders.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/new...-camera-paris/
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

ZWEI KOLBEN
    Simply too many people stacked on top of one another, it is only going to get worse, all over the world.

I want the freedom to do whatever I want, but I suppose it ends when it starts bothering other folks.

I make my living in the motorcycle industry. Motorcyclists are a tiny fraction of the public and they are susceptible to many things that the public decide are for the better good of the collective without giving even a hint of a thought about how it affects motorcycles. Motorcycles are on our minds, the general public probably give them little thought other than thinking they are dangerous and annoying.

My Harley is 100% stock and fairly quiet. I have a couple BMWs with aftermarket exhausts, but most of my bikes have stock. Oh yeah, and a Ducati that would wake the dead.

I recently attended a large motorcycle event for work. The hotel was full of riders. At 6:00am on Sunday, the last day of the event, 6-10 bikes started up in the parking lot of the hotel and revved their engines and blipped their throttles for 5-10 minutes before riding off HARD. Their was absolutely zero need for that and I thought of the people staying there that were NOT riders and what they must have thought.

Point is sometimes we are our own worst enemy and sometimes people enact laws that do not take motorcycles into consideration.

I think the only way to combat this is to have a very attuned sense of how you are seen by the public as a motorcyclists and join forces with folks that protect the rights of motorcyclists.

It's a tempting idea for sure, I for one outgrew my appreciation of a V-Twins rumble at a relatively young age. I find them exceptionally annoying now. However one should have the right to face their accuser, and much like speed cameras here, I'm pretty certain they will do little to stem the activity they are meant to punish. I'm sure there are existing laws which are not being enforced and a few days of targeted enforcement may do more to get the message out. Growing up, I used to like to remind my mother of "My Rights", to wit she would explain stop at the end of her nose.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Sitting on a borough council teaches you many things, but number one is........lowering taxes is easy. Just sell your water and sewer systems to a commercial vendor and shutdown the police department. That's probably 80% of your budget easily eliminated. But, then again, perhaps that commercial water system might not have a long term interest in your dreams/plans and a local police force might respond quicker than the sparsely scattered state police.

From that perspective, the camera systems allow the police to monitor traffic with a smaller staff. That maintains public safety and constrains costs. Is it ideal, relative to quality of information collected? No.

Relative to the issue of noise, I recently spent some time reviewing my state (PA) laws on vehicle noise. Apparently, the allowable noise level for a MC traveling at speeds less than 35mph is 82~84 dBa at 50-ft. This level is common to several other states. Now, from the perspective of the MC rider, who's about 3 to 4-ft from the exhaust pipe exit, the sound level of that "legal" MC is about 106~107 dBa. According to the OSHA guidelines, hearing damage will occur after 4-minutes of exposure to those levels, without hearing protection.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Rules, regulations, theory’s, levels, DB’s........Meh. This is all supposed to be taken care of during State Vehicle Inspection (where applicable). All this is traceable if someone was interested.
    Plymouth Mass, due to its historical tourist visitation, is the only place that I know of that is working the excessive noise deal with enforcement.
    Next.......is having those with potentially annoying vehicles realize that that should “tone it down” when passing an assembly on a common for a concert.

I seem to remember an old saying that went something like this-

“We are too soon old and too late schmart”.

Then again, the schools send the kids out to run track- in the street. Wearing nothing reflective.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Rules, regulations, theory’s, levels, DB’s........Meh. This is all supposed to be taken care of during State Vehicle Inspection (where applicable). All this is traceable if someone was interested.
    Plymouth Mass, due to its historical tourist visitation, is the only place that I know of that is working the excessive noise deal with enforcement.
    Next.......is having those with potentially annoying vehicles realize that that should “tone it down” when passing an assembly on a common for a concert.

I seem to remember an old saying that went something like this-

“We are too soon old and too late schmart”.

Then again, the schools send the kids out to run track- in the street. Wearing nothing reflective.

OM
    A large number of states don't have safety or emission inspections

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl..._United_States

Here's a listing of the laws, but I couldn't find any mention on the web of periodic state inspections for exhaust noise.

https://www.semasan.com/resources/ex...e#Pennsylvania
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

We have no state inspections and I can discern no effort by anyone to address loud vehicles of any sort. Particularly maddening is that the National Parks (Yellowstone and Glacier) in our area take no steps that I can see to prohibit bikes running straight pipes. One dare not go to Yellowstone during the Sturgis rally. You are just as likely to be exposed to a pack of 20 bikes with straight pipes as you are to see a herd of bison or elk. Seems simple enough to deny entry to loud vehicles, but then many of the Sturgis warriors tow their bikes into the park in/on trailers.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

ZWEI KOLBEN
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    We have no state inspections and I can discern no effort by anyone to address loud vehicles of any sort. Particularly maddening is that the National Parks (Yellowstone and Glacier) in our area take no steps that I can see to prohibit bikes running straight pipes. One dare not go to Yellowstone during the Sturgis rally. You are just as likely to be exposed to a pack of 20 bikes with straight pipes as you are to see a herd of bison or elk. Seems simple enough to deny entry to loud vehicles, but then many of the Sturgis warriors tow their bikes into the park in/on trailers.

Really the "Sturgis Warriors" tow their bikes to a park on trailers? Do you actually believe what you are writing? Do you expect us to? Some of us know better. The disdain the MOA collective feels for the HD crowd is disgusting. You somehow believe you hold yourself to be a higher level, more enlightened motorcyclist, but then resort to 3rd grade style name calling.

How about this....I was at the nerdy, old f*ck convention in TN this year -feel good?

Every time I visit this forum or the FB page I am reminded why I have quit this 5hit show numerous times.

Makes me embarrassed to be associated with YOU people.

Quote Originally Posted by scqtt View Post
    Really the "Sturgis Warriors" tow their bikes to a park on trailers? Do you actually believe what you are writing? Do you expect us to? Some of us know better. The disdain the MOA collective feels for the HD crowd is disgusting. You somehow believe you hold yourself to be a higher level, more enlightened motorcyclist, but then resort to 3rd grade style name calling.

How about this....I was at the nerdy, old f*ck convention in TN this year -feel good?

Every time I visit this forum or the FB page I am reminded why I have quit this 5hit show numerous times.

To each, their own.

Not a surprise at all.

Spending a night in a campground near Versailles we were constantly woken up all night long by 2 stroke scooters with open exhausts literally racing around the city. All night.
    Signature

I was actually surprised at how many scooters in Paris with no pretense to performance had bastardized exhaust systems. I think that loud Harley sound like crap, but a loud scooter with a CVT transmission is worse.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

3 Red Bricks
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Thats awesome! My son play trombone in a college marching band. He will love it too I'm sure. Thanks for posting.
    Signature

Quote Originally Posted by scqtt View Post

I'm actually with you in spirit- but your response is disproportionate to the offense. If anything that poster was acknowledging that denying entry to a towed bike would be unfair (at least that's how I saw it.) When I'm home reading the paper at 6:45 and the SAME riceburner speeds up my residential street unnecessarily loud and fast and dangerous- I want to trip-wire him (or her). When I'm on my (really loud) XR1200 or Heritage- I actually ghost out my drive and down the street and start on a more main road- I like loud pipes but I TRY to behave somewhat considerately. Doesn't stop me from getting on it on country roads- probably bothers some people and excites others...I always look up top see what a big loud twin looks liuke- I enjoy it.

As far as group disdain...spend much time on the HD forum?? They are as dismissive of BMW (By and large) as many here are of them. I'm getting tired of that BS- I have to laugh at myself when I realize I have been disgusted at the "we are better they are dumb" mentality of both "YOU" people- maybe the "YOU people" are those who don't see all riders as, at least in some small degree, united by a love of all 2 wheel riding manifestations- even the unenlightened ones.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisinsc View Post
    Thats awesome! My son play trombone in a college marching band. He will love it too I'm sure. Thanks for posting.
    It was an orchestra bassist that first enlightened me to riding with earplugs. Apparently, protecting your hearing during your youth extends your musical career.