• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bosch XR7LDC spark plugs - different flavors?

Sounds similar, in terms of price savings, to my experience with the XR7LDC plugs.

From BMW: $74.52 for a set of 4
Online: $25.00 for a set of 4

Only difference: green bands vs blue bands. But then, that's not even different, anymore - per Anton, above. Hence my original question... :wave

Many old time owners of K1200RS (like me) and K1200LT having over 100,000 mile have used various sources to buy XR7LDC cheaper than dealer's price. In some cases we got "made in India" - other cases it was "made in Brazil". At the BMW dealers, at a high price, they use to be "made in Germany" for a long time anyway - NOT always the case now.

Many had their K1200 since 1999 (first year of K1200LT) or 1997 (1st year of K1200RS in Europe): those like me who have done all their maintenance did found out that the "made in India" or the "made in Brazil" appear to wear their electrodes a fit faster , so we just change them a bit earlier (non scientific , but clearly some improvement after change). The "made in Germany" could last at least 15,000 miles or more (this is 25% more than recommended Schedule). However by the recommended schedule of 12,000 miles, the other (India, Brazil) were pretty much done.

No big deal really - you save $US 50 on a set and you change them at around 12,000 miles depending on usage (lots of short ride , city -vs- highway....)

Keep in mind BOSCH is a large corporation with various plants and agency all over the world. The market for this specific XR7LDC is quite small and it does not fit any car (or so few that I could not find it). So why would they continue to produce them "in Germany" if the remaining market is mainly for older K1200 "brick-engine" models (last production year of K1200LT was 2009 and was in 2005 for K1200RS/GT).

Many old time owners of K1200RS (like me) and K1200LT having over 100,000 mile have used various sources to buy XR7LDC cheaper than dealer's price. In some cases we got "made in India" - other cases it was "made in Brazil". At the BMW dealers, at a high price, they use to be "made in Germany" for a long time anyway - NOT always the case now.

Many had their K1200 since 1999 (first year of K1200LT) or 1997 (1st year of K1200RS in Europe): those like me who have done all their maintenance did found out that the "made in India" or the "made in Brazil" appear to wear their electrodes a fit faster , so we just change them a bit earlier (non scientific , but clearly some improvement after change). The "made in Germany" could last at least 15,000 miles or more (this is 25% more than recommended Schedule). However by the recommended schedule of 12,000 miles, the other (India, Brazil) were pretty much done.

No big deal really - you save $US 50 on a set and you change them at around 12,000 miles depending on usage (lots of short ride , city -vs- highway....)

Keep in mind BOSCH is a large corporation with various plants and agency all over the world. The market for this specific XR7LDC is quite small and it does not fit any car (or so few that I could not find it). So why would they continue to produce them "in Germany" if the remaining market is mainly for older K1200 "brick-engine" models (last production year of K1200LT was 2009 and was in 2005 for K1200RS/GT).

Jean, thanks for the historical perspective. That all makes a lot of sense! The US isn't the only advanced country that long ago outsourced a lot of manufacturing to cheaper markets. Makes total sense that originally Bosch would make a state-of-the-art part, like a newfangled plug, in Germany, then 'overseas' it. As you say, it has a very small application space but still has to sell for relatively little. I'd be amazed if you could find ANY of these Bosch plugs still made in Germany!

Thanks also for the insight about the change-out interval. Interesting how the 'advanced' countries can still make metals (e.g., plug electrodes - which AFAIK are fairly sophisticated metallurgy) that are often superior to the 'identical' alloy made in technologically developing countries. Your experience with the German-made plugs is a real testament to that.

Cheers,

Corey

Back