• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Turn off front running light of r1200rt

wooanash

Hi everyone,
I would love to be able to turn off the main front running light during the day as I am equipped with the LED o-ring. Basically I want my back just to have the LED on during the day like in Europe.

Since we have led, not sure if it will be illegal to remove frontrunninglight.

How can I do it?

On my '16RT this is the procedure for turning off the headlight and only using the DRL, and is on page 64 of the Owner Manual

From the Menus, select Settings/Vehicle and set the DRL to "Off"
When you start the engine, the low beam will automaticaly come on, with the DRL rings illuminated, but not a full brightness.
Hit the DRL button on the left swithcblock, which will turn off the Low Beam, and turn on the DRL rings at full brightness.

I hope this is the info you are after.

I embrace the feeling of being seen, but perhaps not in euro-fashion. I don’t live in Europe, but in a land of drunk drivers, uninformed and immature motorists, and tweet-distracted cage operators.

For me: aux lights, headlight, and photon blasters.

Is your aim to be less visible? Is this just an esthetic thing? Keep in mind you are not riding in Europe where the drivers have much more dedication to proper technique!

I embrace the feeling of being seen, but perhaps not in euro-fashion. I don’t live in Europe, but in a land of drunk drivers, uninformed and immature motorists, and tweet-distracted cage operators.

For me: aux lights, headlight, and photon blasters.

You forgot photon torpedoes...:lol

I agree, the more lights, the better. I live in Gods waiting room (Florida), which is also 'blessed' with a healthy population of uninsured motorists....:banghead

I reckon the DRLs on full brightness are more visible than the combinbation on Low Beam and DRLs on reduced brightness.

USA requires headlights to be on when the engine is running, I would be surprised if there's a way to switch it off. It's been this way since the '70's. Look carefully at the left switch cluster, you can see the outline of where the headlight switch is for other markets. If you dug into the wiring and figured out how to insert a switch into the circuit you'd probably give the CANBUS fits.

USA requires headlights to be on when the engine is running, I would be surprised if there's a way to switch it off. It's been this way since the '70's. Look carefully at the left switch cluster, you can see the outline of where the headlight switch is for other markets. If you dug into the wiring and figured out how to insert a switch into the circuit you'd probably give the CANBUS fits.

I always thought this too. My 2017 Ducati Supersport though, has a DRL switch that allows you to run with the DRL and not the headlight. May not be totally true. It is a 50 state bike.

The requirement for lights on in the daytime is not national; it varies state by state. I believe some state have no requirement. Here in NY, for daytime riding, the state requires a front lamp visible for at least 200 feet, and a red rear lamp making the license plate visible for at least 50 feet (Vehicle and Traffic Law, section 381). Ducati's DRLs are perfectly legal in NY.

On my '16RT this is the procedure for turning off the headlight and only using the DRL, and is on page 64 of the Owner Manual

From the Menus, select Settings/Vehicle and set the DRL to "Off"
When you start the engine, the low beam will automaticaly come on, with the DRL rings illuminated, but not a full brightness.
Hit the DRL button on the left swithcblock, which will turn off the Low Beam, and turn on the DRL rings at full brightness.

I hope this is the info you are after.

Hello,
My RT in US does not have this available in the Vehicle settings.

Back