• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Had a "Help Me Jesus" moment today

shortythorne

shortythorne
While returning home just west of Tuscaloosa, AL today, I had a situation with a cage driver that was a bit close. There are several truck passing lanes on this road, but they are all very short (maybe two cars could get by before it goes back to two lanes). I always ride about a good car length behind Paul & staggered. We approached one of the passing lanes, moved to the far right as to let faster traffic by, and just as we were nearing the end of the lane, a black Nissan Altima decided he would pass us. Paul had already merged back to the left and I realized this car wasn't slowing down to fall in behind us, and was riding by my left side, with me running out of road! I had already slowed down a little and moved as far as I could to the right without running off the pavement...the car never check up & moved in between me & Paul. Had I been in a car there is no way he could have gotten around me without hitting me. Oh yea, I forgot to mention that while all this was taking place, a loaded gravel truck was coming toward us in the oncoming lane. My thinking was, if this guy hits this gravel truck head on, we (especially me) are going to be caught up in it. I would like your thoughts on what I could have possibly done differently in this situation. I really can't think what I could have done that would have made it safer. This guy rode between us for several miles before he could pass, and I wish he could have read my mind. Jeesh:eek Your thoughts???

First, it is good to know that you and Paul were not physically harmed by an impatient and selfish pin-head. It does appear, however, that you are feeling an emotional impact, and that is to be expected. I cannot offer a suggestion on what else you could have done. You slowed and moved as far from him as possible. After I had my deer collision, I realized that part of riding means accepting that I can be a victim of the actions of others (man or beast) that I cannot anticipate, control or adequately respond to. All of life is pretty much like that, so we can either bunker-up or stay out there and fight back the best we can. You did alright, you survived; well done. Be proud that all of your riding, training and experience added up to surviving the actions of idiot. When time goes by and you can relive the experience without emotion you may reach the conclusion that you could have done something different. You can then modify your riding appropriately. I assume you were armed, so you showed great restraint in that arena too.

You and Paul need to leave the sultry confines of your home and travel to the cool dry air of our Rockies. No idiots here.... :thumb

Often in these situations I will forgo the normal safety rules and try catch up to the lead rider and fall in slightly beside and behind him, pretty much riding two per lane. It also depends on the other rider if he will expect this maneuver. Once you both are in the same lane you can slow a bit and gain the separation distance. I know most riders recommend not sharing a lane, but like I said, it depends on both riders being familiar with each other's riding.

I ride a lot of miles with one other rider. We ride together so much people swear we read each other's minds. In tight traffic situations we try leave room for each other, and speed up or slow down as needed, most of the time without any interaction other than quick eye contact or a twitch of our heads.

You probably did fine doing what you did. The only other thing I could say is perhaps you need to be a bit more observant and you would have noticed the ding-a-ling in the car sooner and had more time to react.

You and Paul need to leave the sultry confines of your home and travel to the cool dry air of our Rockies. No idiots here.... :thumb

Some day I need to tell about the local pin head driving a Ford pickup that passed a large group of riders on the shoulder/ditch bank on the highway going south out of Red Lodge MT. Idiots are every where!

Some day I need to tell about the local pin head driving a Ford pickup that passed a large group of riders on the shoulder/ditch bank on the highway going south out of Red Lodge MT. Idiots are every where!

Probably from ND.....:wave

Once again, an example of how HIS angels are with YOU and Paul...……...Taking that huge deep breath and saying your THANKS TO HIM...….Dennis

I agree with the concept of moving up on your buddy to close the gap and keep the car from splitting you. Two bikes makes a bigger target more visible to the idiots around you. If you didn’t catch it in time then so be it and stay as far away as you can which you did.

Occasionally life will throw close calls at you, some people get all worked up about it and stress and worry about surviving. Get over it, move on, life is too short.

A lifetime of playing high risk hobbies and sports and a line of work often perceived of as high risk with a few near death experiences in the books, I find myself saying to myself—bring it on!

Twice on the news today, a video showing a "driver" ? sound a sleep at the wheel in his Tesla.......

Like it wasn't dangerous enough out there.......GEEEZ!

Twice on the news today, a video showing a "driver" ? sound a sleep at the wheel in his Tesla.......

Mass Pike...... I have mentioned Mass can be tough :hungover
OM

I saw that too. The passenger was just as bored. Instead of honking the horn at him while alongside, why not just speed up and move over in front of him and perform a curteous brake check? Pretty sure the Telsa would have manuvered with enough vigor to wake somebody up. Am I right?

I saw that too. The passenger was just as bored. Instead of honking the horn at him while alongside, why not just speed up and move over in front of him and perform a curteous brake check? Pretty sure the Telsa would have manuvered with enough vigor to wake somebody up. Am I right?

According to the news, self-drivers are ok in Mass. To what extent, I don’t know. The SP on the turnpike have had their problems lately, but I still think if I was concerned, giving the Police a call would be the appropriate action.
I don’t think giving instructions with my vehicle to a self-driver would have even been an option- for me.
OM

I heard on the news here in ma that there is no law on the books about sleeping while driving [emoji23]

Though I have no first hand knowledge of Mass traffic laws, I've been riding through and around Mass for 35 years, more than a few of them are responsible for the pet name we give them here in Maine.

Back