• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Considering a Bagger

Lumi

Crippler
I am thinking about purchasing a Bagger.
I took one for a test ride last fall and liked it.
Have there been any issues with this model?
TIA

Personally I hate them, why would they try to mimic a Harley?

Just a wild guess, but perhaps many riders do like them?

Like it or not but Harley baggers are the best selling model of motorcycles, so apparently someone other than you likes them. So if you are trying to attract more riders and pull them off Harley, why not build something they like?

Personally, I don't care for the "B" either, but I can understand why riders do. My wife and I travel on motorcycles and the B does not fit me. Now if I were to stop long rides and just run short day trips, or ride solo, perhaps.

That said; I like antiques, latest greatest, drum brakes, disk brakes, abs, racers, tourers, mini bikes, scooters, full dressers, sport bikes, hard tails, soft tails, bobbers, customs, rat bikes, show bikes, trailer queens, choppers, singles, twins, v's, inline, triples, 4,6and 8 cylinders, gas, electric, running and non running, 1 up, 2 up, trikes, sidecars, air heads, oil heads, water cooled, push rods, ohv's, sohc, dohc, springers, telescopics, bench seats, solo seats, king and queen seats, chain and belt drive, drive shaft, oem, aftermarket, paralever, telelever, and an endless list of others bikes and stuff. I may or may not like you; but I probably like your bike.:)

I got one!

I have a 2018. No problems with it. I enjoy it immensely. I get a lot of positive comments from cagers and other riders. The only negative comments I've heard are from bloggers on this site who don't like them because they follow the traditional styling that BMW produced in the past.

I don’t care what anyone wants to ride but I don’t have to like them all. Each to their own, go have fun.

That said; I like antiques, latest greatest, drum brakes, disk brakes, abs, racers, tourers, mini bikes, scooters, full dressers, sport bikes, hard tails, soft tails, bobbers, customs, rat bikes, show bikes, trailer queens, choppers, singles, twins, v's, inline, triples, 4,6and 8 cylinders, gas, electric, running and non running, 1 up, 2 up, trikes, sidecars, air heads, oil heads, water cooled, push rods, ohv's, sohc, dohc, springers, telescopics, bench seats, solo seats, king and queen seats, chain and belt drive, drive shaft, oem, aftermarket, paralever, telelever, and an endless list of others bikes and stuff. I may or may not like you; but I probably like your bike.:)

:thumb I bet I would like you AND your bike! Great response. May I use it?

I don’t care what anyone wants to ride but I don’t have to like them all. Each to their own, go have fun.

Well, you asked why, we answered.

I have owned several motorcycles over the years. Some I liked better than others, never had one I didn't like.

Kinda like why there is blondes, brunettes and redheads, different preferences.

I don't know why I answered that way; I didn't mean to offend anyone. I may have the beginning of oldtimers syndrome. That reminds of another story.........Yikes, see what I mean.:dunno

Jim,

As long as you are OK with a bike that is electronically limited to less than 99 mph, you should be fine.

:dance:dance:dance

Jim,

As long as you are OK with a bike that is electronically limited to less than 99 mph, you should be fine.

Jim,
I believe that the Grand America model is programmed with a 99 mph speed limit due to the top case and backrest on that model. Aerodynamics affect the stability and safety over that speed. The Bagger model has a limit of 125 mph (per other posts). I've personally had mine over the 100 mph (I'm an employee at a race track), but I really don't see any reason for riding even close to the limit of 125 mph.

Jim,
I believe that the Grand America model is programmed with a 99 mph speed limit due to the top case and backrest on that model. Aerodynamics affect the stability and safety over that speed. The Bagger model has a limit of 125 mph (per other posts). I've personally had mine over the 100 mph (I'm an employee at a race track), but I really don't see any reason for riding even close to the limit of 125 mph.

Sorry! I misremembered incorrectly.:doh

The B is a good selling bike and it has all the bells and whistles a nice touring bike should have. You will be happy owning one if that's the style of bike you are looking for.
The folks at BMW went specifically for the HD crowd when they built this bike, they aren't dumb. I'd bet that the majority of B owners are ex HD owners. Marketing is a science.
If that's the style of bike you are looking for, I would say that you'd be very happy owning one.

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the replies
I test rode a bagger last fall and was impressed.
I thought about this model as a more comfortable cross country cycle
for my wife and I. Right now I have a 03 1150GS.
I retired recently and hope to get more riding in both solo and 2 up.
Since this is a new model I was wondering if it had any issues that sometimes
occur with new models.
0% financing right now is making it very tempting :)

It's a new(er) model, been out a few years now. Engine and drivetrain are the same as the GT/GTL which have been in production since 2012. The rest of the B stuff is cosmetic.
If that style of bike is your thing and it felt good on a test ride, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to buy.

Well, you asked why, we answered.

I have owned several motorcycles over the years. Some I liked better than others, never had one I didn't like.

Kinda like why there is blondes, brunettes and redheads, different preferences.

Actually I didn't ask but that's ok. I have lived my whole life on the premise of differences mostly from being different myself. Like I said I'm fine with what anyone else is into, live and let live. But then again I'm getting old and crotchety and tend to be judgemental.:p

Actually I didn't ask but that's ok. I have lived my whole life on the premise of differences mostly from being different myself. Like I said I'm fine with what anyone else is into, live and let live. But then again I'm getting old and crotchety and tend to be judgemental.:p

Response #3 in this thread, this isn't a quote from your post?

"Personally I hate them, why would they try to mimic a Harley?"

Seems like a question too me or is there another skibum69?

I'm an owner

Test rode a Grand America and a Bagger last Christmas. bought the Bagger that day. Currently 5600 miles. The only add I did was a Wunderlich rear rack and tank bag. No issues, will need tires soon. A pleasure to ride on day trips and great on an 1800 mile tour on the BRP. I was very surprised/impressed at how well a big, long heavy bike handled on the twisties on the BRP and side roads. More than quick enough for me, smoothest shifting bike I've ever had, good braking and very comfortable. The only negative comment I have is that it does not seem to have a good resale value which does not concern me, I normally hold on to a bike 3-4 years. Also have a R1250GSA which I really enjoy also. I'm a happy guy! Hope this helps you.

Back