Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Bagger

Considering a Bagger

I am thinking about purchasing a Bagger.
    I took one for a test ride last fall and liked it.
    Have there been any issues with this model?
    TIA
    Jim

Jim -

Can't report what others feel about the bike, but there a few recalls for the K1600 but for the GT/GTL here:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Recall-Notices

I'm sure others will give their "butt" perspectives!

There are a few threads in the Similar Threads pane below that might be worth reading.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Personally I hate them, why would they try to mimic a Harley?
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    Personally I hate them, why would they try to mimic a Harley?

Just a wild guess, but perhaps many riders do like them?

Like it or not but Harley baggers are the best selling model of motorcycles, so apparently someone other than you likes them. So if you are trying to attract more riders and pull them off Harley, why not build something they like?

Personally, I don't care for the "B" either, but I can understand why riders do. My wife and I travel on motorcycles and the B does not fit me. Now if I were to stop long rides and just run short day trips, or ride solo, perhaps.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I like Baggers. No apologies, ifs and or buts.

That said; I like antiques, latest greatest, drum brakes, disk brakes, abs, racers, tourers, mini bikes, scooters, full dressers, sport bikes, hard tails, soft tails, bobbers, customs, rat bikes, show bikes, trailer queens, choppers, singles, twins, v's, inline, triples, 4,6and 8 cylinders, gas, electric, running and non running, 1 up, 2 up, trikes, sidecars, air heads, oil heads, water cooled, push rods, ohv's, sohc, dohc, springers, telescopics, bench seats, solo seats, king and queen seats, chain and belt drive, drive shaft, oem, aftermarket, paralever, telelever, and an endless list of others bikes and stuff. I may or may not like you; but I probably like your bike.

I got one!

I have a 2018. No problems with it. I enjoy it immensely. I get a lot of positive comments from cagers and other riders. The only negative comments I've heard are from bloggers on this site who don't like them because they follow the traditional styling that BMW produced in the past.
    Steve

2018 BMW K1600B

I donít care what anyone wants to ride but I donít have to like them all. Each to their own, go have fun.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    That said; I like antiques, latest greatest, drum brakes, disk brakes, abs, racers, tourers, mini bikes, scooters, full dressers, sport bikes, hard tails, soft tails, bobbers, customs, rat bikes, show bikes, trailer queens, choppers, singles, twins, v's, inline, triples, 4,6and 8 cylinders, gas, electric, running and non running, 1 up, 2 up, trikes, sidecars, air heads, oil heads, water cooled, push rods, ohv's, sohc, dohc, springers, telescopics, bench seats, solo seats, king and queen seats, chain and belt drive, drive shaft, oem, aftermarket, paralever, telelever, and an endless list of others bikes and stuff. I may or may not like you; but I probably like your bike.
    I bet I would like you AND your bike! Great response. May I use it?
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    I donít care what anyone wants to ride but I donít have to like them all. Each to their own, go have fun.
    Well, you asked why, we answered.

I have owned several motorcycles over the years. Some I liked better than others, never had one I didn't like.

Kinda like why there is blondes, brunettes and redheads, different preferences.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I don't know why I answered that way; I didn't mean to offend anyone. I may have the beginning of oldtimers syndrome. That reminds of another story.........Yikes, see what I mean.

3 Red Bricks
    Jim,

As long as you are OK with a bike that is electronically limited to less than 99 mph, you should be fine.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Jim,

As long as you are OK with a bike that is electronically limited to less than 99 mph, you should be fine.

Jim,
    I believe that the Grand America model is programmed with a 99 mph speed limit due to the top case and backrest on that model. Aerodynamics affect the stability and safety over that speed. The Bagger model has a limit of 125 mph (per other posts). I've personally had mine over the 100 mph (I'm an employee at a race track), but I really don't see any reason for riding even close to the limit of 125 mph.
    Steve

2018 BMW K1600B

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by h2onutz View Post
    Jim,
    I believe that the Grand America model is programmed with a 99 mph speed limit due to the top case and backrest on that model. Aerodynamics affect the stability and safety over that speed. The Bagger model has a limit of 125 mph (per other posts). I've personally had mine over the 100 mph (I'm an employee at a race track), but I really don't see any reason for riding even close to the limit of 125 mph.
    Sorry! I misremembered incorrectly.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

The B is a good selling bike and it has all the bells and whistles a nice touring bike should have. You will be happy owning one if that's the style of bike you are looking for.
    The folks at BMW went specifically for the HD crowd when they built this bike, they aren't dumb. I'd bet that the majority of B owners are ex HD owners. Marketing is a science.
    If that's the style of bike you are looking for, I would say that you'd be very happy owning one.
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA