Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Considering a Bagger

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the replies
    I test rode a bagger last fall and was impressed.
    I thought about this model as a more comfortable cross country cycle
    for my wife and I. Right now I have a 03 1150GS.
    I retired recently and hope to get more riding in both solo and 2 up.
    Since this is a new model I was wondering if it had any issues that sometimes
    occur with new models.
    0% financing right now is making it very tempting
    Jim

It's a new(er) model, been out a few years now. Engine and drivetrain are the same as the GT/GTL which have been in production since 2012. The rest of the B stuff is cosmetic.
    If that style of bike is your thing and it felt good on a test ride, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to buy.
    Jon
    K1600GT & R1200GSA

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Well, you asked why, we answered.

I have owned several motorcycles over the years. Some I liked better than others, never had one I didn't like.

Kinda like why there is blondes, brunettes and redheads, different preferences.
    Actually I didn't ask but that's ok. I have lived my whole life on the premise of differences mostly from being different myself. Like I said I'm fine with what anyone else is into, live and let live. But then again I'm getting old and crotchety and tend to be judgemental.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    Actually I didn't ask but that's ok. I have lived my whole life on the premise of differences mostly from being different myself. Like I said I'm fine with what anyone else is into, live and let live. But then again I'm getting old and crotchety and tend to be judgemental.
    Response #3 in this thread, this isn't a quote from your post?

"Personally I hate them, why would they try to mimic a Harley?"

Seems like a question too me or is there another skibum69?
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I'm an owner

Test rode a Grand America and a Bagger last Christmas. bought the Bagger that day. Currently 5600 miles. The only add I did was a Wunderlich rear rack and tank bag. No issues, will need tires soon. A pleasure to ride on day trips and great on an 1800 mile tour on the BRP. I was very surprised/impressed at how well a big, long heavy bike handled on the twisties on the BRP and side roads. More than quick enough for me, smoothest shifting bike I've ever had, good braking and very comfortable. The only negative comment I have is that it does not seem to have a good resale value which does not concern me, I normally hold on to a bike 3-4 years. Also have a R1250GSA which I really enjoy also. I'm a happy guy! Hope this helps you.
    Janda
    2014 GSA
    2011 R1200R [sold]

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    Personally I hate them, why would they try to mimic a Harley?
    Completely different engine, features, performance level. They aren't mimicking Harley. A bagger is a very general term.

Quote Originally Posted by janda View Post
    test rode a grand america and a bagger last christmas. Bought the bagger that day. Currently 5600 miles. The only add i did was a wunderlich rear rack and tank bag. No issues, will need tires soon. A pleasure to ride on day trips and great on an 1800 mile tour on the brp. I was very surprised/impressed at how well a big, long heavy bike handled on the twisties on the brp and side roads. More than quick enough for me, smoothest shifting bike i've ever had, good braking and very comfortable. The only negative comment i have is that it does not seem to have a good resale value which does not concern me, i normally hold on to a bike 3-4 years. Also have a r1250gsa which i really enjoy also. I'm a happy guy! Hope this helps you.
    gsa

My Buddy bought one about 6 months ago installed a Bren Tune and Remus exhaust he loves it.

He complained about the EURO 4 throttle response but the Bren tune fixed all that.

Its a good looking bike.

I like mine

Curious if you've bought one yet? Do you know that BMW has a stop sales recall on this bike due to a shift fork problem?
    I've owned one for a little over a year and 22,000 miles. I have always ridden solo so complaints from 2 up riders don't affect me. I love the bike but it has a couple of problems that need addressing IMHO.
    First off the bike is not very stable feeling in crosswinds or in the wash of a semi at highway speeds, kind of surprising when you consider its intended market. I can tell you that it does not seem to be tire related either. When tires are new it is more stable and the instability gets worse as they wear. Bridgestone OEM's, Dunlop Roadsmart 3's and now Metzeler Roadtec 01's all do it. If you ride aggressively the bike will wear out the tires rather quickly.The bike needs some small amount of storage up front for little stuff like chapstick, toll booth money and stuff you don't want to reach in your pocket for. This problem is pretty easily solved - I attached a bicycle bag to the cross bar and used a tiny tank bag just aft of the gas filler. Storage for one is adequate if you can pack light. I roc strap a small athletic bag to the passenger seat for my 7000 mile trips. Those are my bitches.
    On the plus side it is one of the smoothest most powerful bikes I have ever owned. It shifts like a dual clutch sports car using the quick shifter which is just fantastic! The factory seat, handlebars and windscreen are fine for me at 5'7" and 195 lbs. This bike eats miles sooo easily. I come from the Harley experience with 110,000 miles on a Road King and then a Road Glide with no regrets. I love the factory Sirius radio and Ipod connectivity which I listen to with a bluetooth adapter and a pair of flexible ear buds which are inserted into my ears so no blaring my music to others. Turn by turn directions are overlaid on to my music by the Garmin Navigator 5 as you ride. I love the 7 gallon tank capacity and the 50 mpg it gets if ridden carefully. I put a set of MaxTorque Cans on mine ($800 to my door) and it has the most incredible sound track I've heard. Truly sounds exotic without being obnoxious. I would buy another in a second!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumi View Post
    I am thinking about purchasing a Bagger.
    I took one for a test ride last fall and liked it.
    Have there been any issues with this model?
    TIA
    I moved over from decades riding the Kawasaki Concours & Concours 1400 Sport Tourers, to a 2018 K1600B Grand America Tourer, and speaking from personal experience, the Grand America is the best bike I've ever owned. The 6 cylinder engine is remarkably smooth with absolutely no vibration anywhere, it has incredible power and range, and I get better mileage on a bigger heavier bike than I ever did on any of my Concours. It has all of the bells and whistles that anyone would want (with options), and has a great adjustable and dynamic suspension with advanced ABS Pro. It comes with heated grips and seat, and excellent sound system when using Bluetooth to the helmet. It will also handle very well as a Sport Tourer if you want to ride it that way. I still Sport ride with my C14 friends.

My favorite feature is the "clutch assist Pro" or clutch-less shifting. Incredible quick and smooth up and down shifting without clutching. There is plenty of seat and leg room with the standard floor boards, and the standard Fog Lights provide great visibility. I should probably also mention the convenient electronic luggage locks and alarm, and my Full Face helmet (3XL) fits fine in the Topcase.

My only disappointment is that the GA is a little sensitive to wind sheer and traffic buffeting at high speeds on windy days, probably due to its overall mass. I think the large Trunk may make the bike twitch at high speeds a bit without a passenger, but I only notice it on windy days. The bike is solid on calm days at highway speeds. My C14 grabbed the wind too, but not quite a much. BMW seems to point to the Floor Boards as a reason to limit the Top Speed, so maybe the floorboards have something to do with it as well. But I've never felt unsafe riding this bike at any speed even up to 100 mph on occasion on calm days. It depends on your riding needs, now that I'm older I no longer require the speed of a C14 or a ZX-10. I'm perfectly happy touring and listening to my Bluetooth tunes with an occasional hoot on curvy roads........all day long with this bike.

One last point. Check with your Dealer first before you buy cause I just receive a transmission safety recall on my Grand America last night. BMW will cover the repair, but currently the parts are not available and there is no timeline provided. I plan on continuing to ride without concern as I've never had any indication of a transmission issue on my bike in 9K miles. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumi View Post
    I am thinking about purchasing a Bagger.
    I took one for a test ride last fall and liked it.
    Have there been any issues with this model?
    TIA
    Ive ridden 3 BMWs prior to buying by 2018 K16B in August of 2018. Rode a 1999 cruiser, a 2000 R1100RT, and a 2010 R1200RT. Have really like each of these bikes, but the B is the best. Its now put away for winter here in W Michigan, and Im waiting for the transmission recall issue to be fixed hopefully before I start riding next April.
    I think this bike is an excellent long distance bike and also fun in the mountains and for day rides. I ride one up and find it a great bike
    Enjoy whatever bike you end up buying.

An MOA friend from Alabama has owned a 2014 RT since new. He decided to branch out a bit and got a K1600B (not Grand America). Last time I heard from him the 2014 RT was getting dusty while the K1600B was out and about every day.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key