• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Considering a Bagger

test rode a grand america and a bagger last christmas. Bought the bagger that day. Currently 5600 miles. The only add i did was a wunderlich rear rack and tank bag. No issues, will need tires soon. A pleasure to ride on day trips and great on an 1800 mile tour on the brp. I was very surprised/impressed at how well a big, long heavy bike handled on the twisties on the brp and side roads. More than quick enough for me, smoothest shifting bike i've ever had, good braking and very comfortable. The only negative comment i have is that it does not seem to have a good resale value which does not concern me, i normally hold on to a bike 3-4 years. Also have a r1250gsa which i really enjoy also. I'm a happy guy! Hope this helps you.

gsa

My Buddy bought one about 6 months ago installed a Bren Tune and Remus exhaust he loves it.

He complained about the EURO 4 throttle response but the Bren tune fixed all that.

Its a good looking bike.

I like mine

Curious if you've bought one yet? Do you know that BMW has a stop sales recall on this bike due to a shift fork problem?
I've owned one for a little over a year and 22,000 miles. I have always ridden solo so complaints from 2 up riders don't affect me. I love the bike but it has a couple of problems that need addressing IMHO.
First off the bike is not very stable feeling in crosswinds or in the wash of a semi at highway speeds, kind of surprising when you consider its intended market. I can tell you that it does not seem to be tire related either. When tires are new it is more stable and the instability gets worse as they wear. Bridgestone OEM's, Dunlop Roadsmart 3's and now Metzeler Roadtec 01's all do it. If you ride aggressively the bike will wear out the tires rather quickly.The bike needs some small amount of storage up front for little stuff like chapstick, toll booth money and stuff you don't want to reach in your pocket for. This problem is pretty easily solved - I attached a bicycle bag to the cross bar and used a tiny tank bag just aft of the gas filler. Storage for one is adequate if you can pack light. I roc strap a small athletic bag to the passenger seat for my 7000 mile trips. Those are my bitches.
On the plus side it is one of the smoothest most powerful bikes I have ever owned. It shifts like a dual clutch sports car using the quick shifter which is just fantastic! The factory seat, handlebars and windscreen are fine for me at 5'7" and 195 lbs. This bike eats miles sooo easily. I come from the Harley experience with 110,000 miles on a Road King and then a Road Glide with no regrets. I love the factory Sirius radio and Ipod connectivity which I listen to with a bluetooth adapter and a pair of flexible ear buds which are inserted into my ears so no blaring my music to others. Turn by turn directions are overlaid on to my music by the Garmin Navigator 5 as you ride. I love the 7 gallon tank capacity and the 50 mpg it gets if ridden carefully. I put a set of MaxTorque Cans on mine ($800 to my door) and it has the most incredible sound track I've heard. Truly sounds exotic without being obnoxious. I would buy another in a second!

I am thinking about purchasing a Bagger.
I took one for a test ride last fall and liked it.
Have there been any issues with this model?
TIA

I moved over from decades riding the Kawasaki Concours & Concours 1400 Sport Tourers, to a 2018 K1600B Grand America Tourer, and speaking from personal experience, the Grand America is the best bike I've ever owned. The 6 cylinder engine is remarkably smooth with absolutely no vibration anywhere, it has incredible power and range, and I get better mileage on a bigger heavier bike than I ever did on any of my Concours. It has all of the bells and whistles that anyone would want (with options), and has a great adjustable and dynamic suspension with advanced ABS Pro. It comes with heated grips and seat, and excellent sound system when using Bluetooth to the helmet. It will also handle very well as a Sport Tourer if you want to ride it that way. I still Sport ride with my C14 friends.

My favorite feature is the "clutch assist Pro" or clutch-less shifting. Incredible quick and smooth up and down shifting without clutching. There is plenty of seat and leg room with the standard floor boards, and the standard Fog Lights provide great visibility. I should probably also mention the convenient electronic luggage locks and alarm, and my Full Face helmet (3XL) fits fine in the Topcase.

My only disappointment is that the GA is a little sensitive to wind sheer and traffic buffeting at high speeds on windy days, probably due to its overall mass. I think the large Trunk may make the bike twitch at high speeds a bit without a passenger, but I only notice it on windy days. The bike is solid on calm days at highway speeds. My C14 grabbed the wind too, but not quite a much. BMW seems to point to the Floor Boards as a reason to limit the Top Speed, so maybe the floorboards have something to do with it as well. But I've never felt unsafe riding this bike at any speed even up to 100 mph on occasion on calm days. It depends on your riding needs, now that I'm older I no longer require the speed of a C14 or a ZX-10. I'm perfectly happy touring and listening to my Bluetooth tunes with an occasional hoot on curvy roads........all day long with this bike.

One last point. Check with your Dealer first before you buy cause I just receive a transmission safety recall on my Grand America last night. BMW will cover the repair, but currently the parts are not available and there is no timeline provided. I plan on continuing to ride without concern as I've never had any indication of a transmission issue on my bike in 9K miles. Enjoy!

TIA

I’ve ridden 3 BMW’s prior to buying by 2018 K16B in August of 2018. Rode a 1999 cruiser, a 2000 R1100RT, and a 2010 R1200RT. Have really like each of these bikes, but the B is the best. It’s now put away for winter here in W Michigan, and I’m waiting for the transmission recall issue to be fixed — hopefully before I start riding next April.
I think this bike is an excellent long distance bike and also fun in the mountains and for day rides. I ride one up and find it a great bike
Enjoy whatever bike you end up buying.

An MOA friend from Alabama has owned a 2014 RT since new. He decided to branch out a bit and got a K1600B (not Grand America). Last time I heard from him the 2014 RT was getting dusty while the K1600B was out and about every day.

Planning on purchasing 2018 B

Hello All,
I currently have a '03 R1200C and am planning on trading it in for an '18 Bagger in January. Can anyone tell me more about the recall (forks?) as I cant find much online about it. Thanks.

Hello All,
I currently have a '03 R1200C and am planning on trading it in for an '18 Bagger in January. Can anyone tell me more about the recall (forks?) as I cant find much online about it. Thanks.

The bonus of having owned a R1200C is that ANY bike you get will look gorgeous comparably!
Good luck in your search

The bonus of having owned a R1200C is that ANY bike you get will look gorgeous comparably!
Good luck in your search

I loved the looks of the R1200C. I couldn't handle the forward controls - the sitting position kills by back - but the appearance was just fine to me.

But we do need better terminology. I don't care what Harley calls stuff, a bagger is a high school kid in a local supermarket.:dunno

Never understood the animosity towards the R1200C. It may have been a little underpowered but it'll cruise on the highway at 75 all day. In my opinion it was a real beauty showcasing the boxer engine. With that said, I just traded mine in for an '18 Bagger.

swapped my k1600gtl for new r1250gsa...

TIA

I rode the k1600 for 20000. several long trips with 500mile days. all good and no complaints until one day near pikes peak, in the rain, there was some serious road repair. About 5 miles of gravel... damn that big old bike didn't like the gravel! then, one day, in the dealer for service, another old coot (like me) comes in with an airhead, takes one look at the k16 and says "too much sh#*" I hadn't ever used the radio and nav wasn't as good as google maps so kinda agreed. swapped the k16 for new r1250gsa. wow.. i took the new bike on two long trips last summer... 3 weeks up to alaska, and down through 3 Canadian provinces and 6 US states. about 6000 miles, including an 800 mile last day. I love the new bike. damn near as comfortable riding, better seat, far more nimble and opens up lotsa other options for roads to travel. It is almost as fast as the k16 and lighter too. stick with the adventure bikes and leave baggers to HD guys.

I rode the k1600 for 20000. several long trips with 500mile days. all good and no complaints until one day near pikes peak, in the rain, there was some serious road repair. About 5 miles of gravel... damn that big old bike didn't like the gravel! then, one day, in the dealer for service, another old coot (like me) comes in with an airhead, takes one look at the k16 and says "too much sh#*" I hadn't ever used the radio and nav wasn't as good as google maps so kinda agreed. swapped the k16 for new r1250gsa. wow.. i took the new bike on two long trips last summer... 3 weeks up to alaska, and down through 3 Canadian provinces and 6 US states. about 6000 miles, including an 800 mile last day. I love the new bike. damn near as comfortable riding, better seat, far more nimble and opens up lotsa other options for roads to travel. It is almost as fast as the k16 and lighter too. stick with the adventure bikes and leave baggers to HD guys.

Indeed, BMW makes many bikes for many kinds of Bikers!
Test Ride them all, and stock your garage with all U can squeeze in there!
It's just that simple.
Ciao, HSV-Phil
'75 R90S
'14 K16GT

Back