Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fuel Injector Faults on R1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by Blacque Jacque Shellacque View Post
    Obviously the mechanic cleared the fault codes when he serviced the bike the first time. If the dealership is keeping proper records, why should it matter if he cleared the codes? The faults are stored in non volatile RAM which does not require power to keep the data alive. It's clear that the service manager has no idea what the techs are doing in the shop, or how modern vehicles retain error codes. It's probably a good idea to have all future conversations concerning service to your bike with this guy in writing. BTW, is this the dealer in Ottawa?
    Yes my dealer is in Ottawa and I am increasingly becoming disillusioned with him!
    2006 DL 650 V-Strom
    2016 R1200RT

I would call BS on the Ottawa dealer. Call BMW Canada if it comes to that. Or, just ride on happy and don't give them any more business!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Hard to avoid my dealer as the next one is another 2 hours down the highway in Montreal and bike is under extended warranty!
    2006 DL 650 V-Strom
    2016 R1200RT

I used to work for TMobile. We would trouble shoot electronic equipment by first attempting a remote reset. When that failed, the fix was usually reseating the equipment, which is essentially what was done when the F.I. connector was removed and replaced. The technical repair was called P.F.M. Pure Freaking Magic, or thereabouts. A little corrosion gets into the contacts, and reseating the equipment will restore it. That same reseat technique is also used to clear faults in Minuteman ICBM equipment, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
    I used to work for TMobile. We would trouble shoot electronic equipment by first attempting a remote reset. When that failed, the fix was usually reseating the equipment, which is essentially what was done when the F.I. connector was removed and replaced. The technical repair was called P.F.M. Pure Freaking Magic, or thereabouts. A little corrosion gets into the contacts, and reseating the equipment will restore it. That same reseat technique is also used to clear faults in Minuteman ICBM equipment, FWIW.
    Interesting observation! It's too bad that our bikes have become like our computers and electronics and periodically require a reboot or connection reseat to fix them. I just hope that if something like this happens again to me that the connection is not buried somewhere that's hard to get to.
    Tod
    2016 R1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
    That same reseat technique is also used to clear faults in Minuteman ICBM equipment, FWIW.
    That makes me feel better.....
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks