Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Fuel Injector Faults on R1200RS

  1. #1
    Registered User wattster1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Posts
    6

    Fuel Injector Faults on R1200RS

    I was recently on a trip on my 2016 R1200RS and had an unusual problem with the bike. I was happily cruising along when the engine suddenly started missing, the general warning light started flashing, and the engine symbol appeared, which per the manual means there's a severe engine fault! I pulled over on the shoulder and shut off the engine, hoping that might clear the problem. It didn't, so I rode a bit further until I found a safe place to park. I had brought my GS911 along so I used it to see what the fault was. There were actually two faults: Left cylinder injector, output open circuit; Left cylinder injector, output short circuit to battery positive. I tried clearing the faults and restarting, but the problems came right back. As a last resort I decided to take a look at the injector, since it's very easy to get to. I pulled it out and it physically looked fine. Since the faults were for the injector control circuit I unplugged the control connector and did not see any problems. I reinstalled the injector, started the engine, and suddenly everything was fine! The engine ran fine and the warning light and engine symbol cleared. I continued on my trip and put another 1000 miles on the bike without any more problems.

    I'm not complaining about the result, but it kind of bothers me not knowing what caused the problem and how it was fixed. I would appreciate any thoughts about what might have caused the problem and what fixed it. I'm wondering if the injector might have some internal intermittent fault and if I should carry a spare.

    Thanks,
    Tod

  2. #2
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,187
    Welcome to the forum!
    Canít argue with success
    These bikes are real sensitive to battery condition. If itís original, you may want to keep battery condition in the back of your mind.
    Enjoy the forum.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  3. #3
    These circuits are prone to connection problems. Very frequently just disconnecting and reconnecting a connector will re-establish good contact. What happened to you did not surprise me at all.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  4. #4
    Registered User roger 04 rt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida & Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,978
    +1

  5. #5
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,426
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    These circuits are prone to connection problems. Very frequently just disconnecting and reconnecting a connector will re-establish good contact. What happened to you did not surprise me at all.
    A diagram or picture of the connector and location would be of great value, if needed, for future reference.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  6. #6
    Registered User wattster1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Posts
    6
    Thank you all for the replies.

    I am still using the original battery. I had it tested last year and it checked out fine, but I will have it checked again.

    I'm happy to hear that it was likely just the connector that caused the problem. As suggested, I will provide some more information in case this happens to someone else:

    The injector is located on top of the cylinder head behind a plastic cover. The cover is held on with a single T25 screw, which can be removed with the screwdriver under the passenger seat. Here is a photo of the cover with a red arrow pointing at the screw.

    Cover.jpg

    Here is photo showing the injector control connector. The red arrow is pointing at the connector. To remove it you need to push in on the release catch at the base of the connector. It is the silver wire you see to the right of the connector. It is a waterproof connector and takes a fair amount of wiggling to remove.

    Connector.jpg

    Thanks again for everyone's help.

    Tod

  7. #7
    MOA #24991 Pauls1150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,657
    Great that it seems to be just a connection problem; perhaps it would be worthwhile to examine the mating pins for any physical distortion, and the factory crimp of the wire on to those pins inside the connector.

    Not to rain on anybody's parade, but think about what an injector actually is - a selenoid continually moving (the pintle) at very high speed. If it happens again, and the pins are ok, R&R it.

  8. #8
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,426
    Quote Originally Posted by wattster1 View Post
    Thank you all for the replies.

    I am still using the original battery. I had it tested last year and it checked out fine, but I will have it checked again.

    I'm happy to hear that it was likely just the connector that caused the problem. As suggested, I will provide some more information in case this happens to someone else:

    The injector is located on top of the cylinder head behind a plastic cover. The cover is held on with a single T25 screw, which can be removed with the screwdriver under the passenger seat. Here is a photo of the cover with a red arrow pointing at the screw.

    Cover.jpg

    Here is photo showing the injector control connector. The red arrow is pointing at the connector. To remove it you need to push in on the release catch at the base of the connector. It is the silver wire you see to the right of the connector. It is a waterproof connector and takes a fair amount of wiggling to remove.

    Connector.jpg

    Thanks again for everyone's help.

    Tod
    Thanks for posting the pictures.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  9. #9
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Great that it seems to be just a connection problem; perhaps it would be worthwhile to examine the mating pins for any physical distortion, and the factory crimp of the wire on to those pins inside the connector.

    Not to rain on anybody's parade, but think about what an injector actually is - a selenoid continually moving (the pintle) at very high speed. If it happens again, and the pins are ok, R&R it.
    But, if it is the injector........that's a serious Q/C problem.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  10. #10
    Registered User crustybeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Pembroke Ontario Canada
    Posts
    113
    Had this happen 3 times last spring within a week! Engine started to miss badly and check engine service light came on! Each time I pulled over, shut the engine off and waited a few seconds! Restarted and no warning light, no miss, just purring like normal! Had my 80,000 km maint scheduled for the following week! Recorded all the particulars and told the service techs when I went in for service! They said 3 faults showed up on the diagnostic 'puter and the fault was so rare they had no tool to fix it and that they were having the special tool sent in that they need to fix it and I would have to come back the following week! This was only a few days before I was leaving for the BMW rally last June! Also it is 160 km, one way to my dealer! Before leaving I asked the service manager if servicing the 3 year old battery would mess up the memory and he stated it would not, that the fault code was in the "hard drive". Anyways, a few days later, I got the call that the special tool had arrived and went in for the service! After 1 1/2 hours the service manager called me over and said they could find no faults in the bikes memory! I told him about my servicing the battery and he asked why I would disconnect the battery? I said "to clean the terminals to get better contact" because the voltage read low (12.1 V) at the speedo! I told him that I had asked about that the previous week and he said go ahead the fault was in the bikes "hard drive"! He said that because I had deleated the fault code and thus no fault was found, that I would have to pay for the 1 1/2 hr shop time! I told him I had the extended warranty and that should cover it because they had printed out the fault code the previous week and I had a copy! He said I would probably end up paying because I had deleated the fault codes! The mechanic that was "looking" at my bike said that when he disconnected the plug to the injector, that that had probably cleaned off some corrosion and that fixed the fault! Purring like a well oiled kitten ever since almost 15,000 km later! P.S. Got a call shortly after getting back from Lebanon that I would not be billed for the second "servicing"!
    P.S. My bike is a 2016 R1200RT but not all that different from an RS!
    Last edited by crustybeemer; 09-08-2019 at 08:44 AM.
    2006 DL 650 V-Strom
    2016 R1200RT

  11. #11
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,299
    Thanks for the picture of the connector.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  12. #12
    Registered User wattster1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Great that it seems to be just a connection problem; perhaps it would be worthwhile to examine the mating pins for any physical distortion, and the factory crimp of the wire on to those pins inside the connector.

    Not to rain on anybody's parade, but think about what an injector actually is - a selenoid continually moving (the pintle) at very high speed. If it happens again, and the pins are ok, R&R it.
    I did inspect the connection when I had it apart, and saw no debris or signs of corrosion. I can't inspect the crimps without removing the outer casing of the connector, and I'm afraid I will do more harm than good if I try to do that. I did try moving the control cable around with the engine idling to check for a bad connection or section of wire, and found no problems.

  13. #13
    Registered User wattster1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by crustybeemer View Post
    Had this happen 3 times last spring within a week! Engine started to miss badly and check engine service light came on! Each time I pulled over, shut the engine off and waited a few seconds! Restarted and no warning light, no miss, just purring like normal! Had my 80,000 km maint scheduled for the following week! Recorded all the particulars and told the service techs when I went in for service! They said 3 faults showed up on the diagnostic 'puter and the fault was so rare they had no tool to fix it and that they were having the special tool sent in that they need to fix it and I would have to come back the following week! This was only a few days before I was leaving for the BMW rally last June! Also it is 160 km, one way to my dealer! Before leaving I asked the service manager if servicing the 3 year old battery would mess up the memory and he stated it would not, that the fault code was in the "hard drive". Anyways, a few days later, I got the call that the special tool had arrived and went in for the service! After 1 1/2 hours the service manager called me over and said they could find no faults in the bikes memory! I told him about my servicing the battery and he asked why I would disconnect the battery? I said "to clean the terminals to get better contact" because the voltage read low (12.1 V) at the speedo! I told him that I had asked about that the previous week and he said go ahead the fault was in the bikes "hard drive"! He said that because I had deleated the fault code and thus no fault was found, that I would have to pay for the 1 1/2 hr shop time! I told him I had the extended warranty and that should cover it because they had printed out the fault code the previous week and I had a copy! He said I would probably end up paying because I had deleated the fault codes! The mechanic that was "looking" at my bike said that when he disconnected the plug to the injector, that that had probably cleaned off some corrosion and that fixed the fault! Purring like a well oiled kitten ever since almost 15,000 km later! P.S. Got a call shortly after getting back from Lebanon that I would not be billed for the second "servicing"!
    P.S. My bike is a 2016 R1200RT but not all that different from an RS!
    Thanks for sharing your experience. That does sound very similar to my event except that mine didn't clear with a restart. It's odd that your dealer claimed that disconnecting the battery deleted the fault codes, as I did the same thing and it did not delete them. After the reply about battery condition I pulled the battery and made sure the connections were clean and tight. Afterwards I checked with my GS911 and the codes were still in the memory.

    FYI, I downloaded the fault codes and have attached them in a text file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  14. #14
    Registered User Blacque Jacque Shellacque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by crustybeemer View Post
    Had this happen 3 times last spring within a week! Engine started to miss badly and check engine service light came on! Each time I pulled over, shut the engine off and waited a few seconds! Restarted and no warning light, no miss, just purring like normal! Had my 80,000 km maint scheduled for the following week! Recorded all the particulars and told the service techs when I went in for service! They said 3 faults showed up on the diagnostic 'puter and the fault was so rare they had no tool to fix it and that they were having the special tool sent in that they need to fix it and I would have to come back the following week! This was only a few days before I was leaving for the BMW rally last June! Also it is 160 km, one way to my dealer! Before leaving I asked the service manager if servicing the 3 year old battery would mess up the memory and he stated it would not, that the fault code was in the "hard drive". Anyways, a few days later, I got the call that the special tool had arrived and went in for the service! After 1 1/2 hours the service manager called me over and said they could find no faults in the bikes memory! I told him about my servicing the battery and he asked why I would disconnect the battery? I said "to clean the terminals to get better contact" because the voltage read low (12.1 V) at the speedo! I told him that I had asked about that the previous week and he said go ahead the fault was in the bikes "hard drive"! He said that because I had deleated the fault code and thus no fault was found, that I would have to pay for the 1 1/2 hr shop time! I told him I had the extended warranty and that should cover it because they had printed out the fault code the previous week and I had a copy! He said I would probably end up paying because I had deleated the fault codes! The mechanic that was "looking" at my bike said that when he disconnected the plug to the injector, that that had probably cleaned off some corrosion and that fixed the fault! Purring like a well oiled kitten ever since almost 15,000 km later! P.S. Got a call shortly after getting back from Lebanon that I would not be billed for the second "servicing"!
    P.S. My bike is a 2016 R1200RT but not all that different from an RS!
    Obviously the mechanic cleared the fault codes when he serviced the bike the first time. If the dealership is keeping proper records, why should it matter if he cleared the codes? The faults are stored in non volatile RAM which does not require power to keep the data alive. It's clear that the service manager has no idea what the techs are doing in the shop, or how modern vehicles retain error codes. It's probably a good idea to have all future conversations concerning service to your bike with this guy in writing. BTW, is this the dealer in Ottawa?

  15. #15
    Clearing a fault with a GS-911 can erase all faults.
    Gator

Similar Threads

  1. Fuel Injector Chatter
    By Bdiver in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-21-2016, 01:15 AM
  2. Leaking Fuel Injector
    By devauxb in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 05:20 PM
  3. Use of Fuel Injector Cleaners
    By GTDOUG in forum Wedge K-bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 08:21 PM
  4. How hot can a fuel injector get?
    By Craigt in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 02:33 AM
  5. Fuel injector questions
    By sirmanley in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 07:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •