Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Pilot 5

Question Road Pilot 5

I'll be needing new tires on my 2016 RTW soon and it appears the 5's still aren't available for the RT's. Any one with any info? I went to the Michelin website and the 5's are available for jusr about every other BMW model.

Booger Man
    Pilot Road 5 GTs are on hold right now for the RT. Michelin said this summer last year but they are on indefinite hold right now from all the scoruces I have looked.

A few people (me included) have tried Road 5s on RTWs. I never ride with a pillion, tour around mostly, and keep 38# front/ 42# rear. The weight-bearing capacity of the Road 5s is the same, front and rear as the Pilot Road 4 GT.

The two RTW riders I know who've switched away from Road 5s have cited handling issues. I have not observed this, and rode a track day in July 2018 and thought the Road 5s handled the track day very well. I think they're a little noisy, but I wear earplugs all the time, so it's a non-issue with me. They do seem to handle rain very well. I think I spend 50% of my riding time in the rain, so this is a good thing.

I'm sure others will have differing opinions.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

A nit - the Michelin rep at the rally last summer said they've removed the word "Pilot" from the name, apparently people found it too easy to confuse the Pilot Power (sportbike) and the Pilot Road (sport touring) series. Plus the whole Pilot Road vs. Road Pilot issue. You can imagine they are really interested in people calling their products by their proper names.

So although the PR2, PR3, and PR4 are still in their lineup, the improved Pilot Road 4 is not the Pilot Road 5, it's just the Road 5.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

I talked to the Michelin rep for the US, he stated that the GT version (which is what he said we should be using on our RT's) won't be available until "late fall of 2019."
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    I talked to the Michelin rep for the US, he stated that the GT version (which is what he said we should be using on our RT's) won't be available until "late fall of 2019."
    Damn, thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to stick to the 4's.

I hope the delay is a class action law suite!

Here is the deal.

There is a body of people who say theses are the statistics that much be listed on a tire to show they meet the criteria.

Speed Rating. Load Rating. Date of Manufacture. Tire Size.

If that tire meets that criteria why do I need to pay more for a GT tire?

It is total BS and I hope someone calls them on it.

I used Road 3 for a lot of miles no issues on my RT. Then the 4 and now the 5 and you NEED a GT spec tire even though they have the balls to say the tire meets the specs my bike calls for.

There are lot of tires to choose from out there so I will not be trying a Road 5 anytime soon.

I really like my current Roadsmart 3's and they are wearing well at 6500 miles or so.

Vote with your wallets and let company's know that you dont like being bent over. If it meets the spec of the bike, and that is listed on the side wall, you should be able to run it. Not be up-charged for a tire that "really" meets the specs.

Money grabbing corporations just piss me off!

Rant off
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

It might just be legal mumbo jumbo but no one says you need GT spec tires. They recommend GT Specs. You decide what is good for you.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Another example of running to a lawyer to solve a problem. There are lots of other motorcycle tires out there. Go buy one of those.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    It might just be legal mumbo jumbo but no one says you need GT spec tires. They recommend GT Specs. You decide what is good for you.
    I've heard of dealerships that won't install Road 5 on a wethead RT

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    Another example of running to a lawyer to solve a problem. There are lots of other motorcycle tires out there. Go buy one of those.
    I do not take switch and bait tactics well at all!

As I said plenty of other tires out there. Vote with your wallet.

If you think it is fine for a company to stamp something on a tire regarding it's ability to perform to a set specification, and then say ohh no you need this more expensive tire that is rated the same as the tire you want, but it is a GT rating according to our new class of tire, you need this GT version.

NO, my bike calls for a tire of this size, speed rating, and weight rating.

I ran PR3 for a lot of miles with no issues at all. There must of been thousands of blown PR3 tires out there that I missed the news reports on.

So if you do not mind being bent over by corporate America by all means do and say nothing. If as a consumer you are happy to have corporate America basically having their way with your money, just sit there and shut up and hand over your money.

Yes just do nothing and accept the company line of someone whose only interest is making money. Your in good hands, just relax, it will only hurt for a little while.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Oh brother. Dude, you need to get unwound from that axel. Life ticks inexorably by and I've got friends, family, and work that need my attention. That some faceless corporation allegedly baits and switches a product I can easily avoid doesn't even raise a casual interest in me. I suspect that I spend a lot less time in an "I'm outraged! We HAVE TO FIGHT!!!" mental state.

Be The Dude, Dude.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    I've heard of dealerships that won't install Road 5 on a wethead RT

Jay
    In this day and age where lawyering up is unavoidable, I'd say it's the CYA factor.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

I went with the ContiRoadAttack 3 since last summer and been very happy with them.
    IBA No. 58411
    Current Bike 2017 BMW R1200RT; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition; Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by rwl1955 View Post
    I'll be needing new tires on my 2016 RTW soon and it appears the 5's still aren't available for the RT's. Any one with any info? I went to the Michelin website and the 5's are available for jusr about every other BMW model.
    Hmm, that's odd.

My current set of tires are the "Road 5"s (went out and double checked the sidewall) and currently have 15,000 miles on them.

Granted I did get the first set into the dealership and it just turned out I needed tires around 69,000 miles so I gave them a try.

So far so good.

AD (2014 RTW)