Thread: Cast wheels + rocks

Angry Cast wheels + rocks

Riding back from Ontario to Massachusetts my mind was drifting. I was following a car but unfortunately not in the cages wheel track. In an instant a large rock appeared directly in my path. Hit it with the front. First thought was, hope I don't go down, second thought was of relief and third thought was that there seemed to be no damage. Wrong. Soon thereafter I started slowly losing pressure in the front wheel. I now find a flat spot on the wheel causing a slow leak. The BMW replacement cast wheel is a $1,200 item, Ugh! It's a big item I understand but $1,200 is a lot. Maybe all big parts for a 1200 cost $1,200.

Anyone know of a place to find used wheels - already tried BMW Boneyard........

I've bought used wheels on eBay and also from rubbersideup.com. Have you thought about filing an insurance claim? When I bent a wheel I got an estimate from a shop for $1800 for the wheel and labor. I had people on the forums advising me that my insurance would go up. Sure enough about 2 years later it when up about $5 a year. I think I did the ok by filing a claim.
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

Cast wheels

Had not thought about insurance - but that's very interesting, i may give it a try, thanks!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Woody’s Wheel Works has a good reputation around the web.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Most of the time those wheels can be repaired for about 1/3 the cost. Had one done a couple of years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by landmerchant View Post
    Most of the time those wheels can be repaired for about 1/3 the cost. Had one done a couple of years ago. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Timely topic- I just got back today from Syracuse NY to have one of my VW wheels straightened- Just wheel and tire brought in cost like $130 (20 to remove tire, and tax). They put it back together and balanced it. They also restore, or powdercoat wheels. A replacement wheel runs about 500 plus (tax, mount balance etc)- The bent wheel was a souvineer of a secondary Pennsylvania road pothole- yeah yeah- coulda' happened anywhere but MINE was from a trip to Penna. I live about hour and a half from Syracuse but still worth it for me. Besides, Dinosaur BBQ is in Syracuse! Shop called Rim Doctor did it and apparently that's all they do- largish professional looking outfit. I waited and it was done pretty quickly- with appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycl2day View Post
    Had not thought about insurance - but that's very interesting, i may give it a try, thanks!
    I had the same experience with my insurance. That's why we buy the stuff.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

I had the same issue when I hit a pot hole in Michigan and bent the rim. The dealer sent the rim out for repairs. That was 4-5 years ago and have not had an issue since. It cost a lot less then the cost of a replacement rim. Good luck and I'm glad to hear you didn't go down.
    Bob, MOA#143234
    2014 R1200RT

I've never dented a rim enough to lose air, but several times I've noticed minor bends in the rim. When the bike came back from the shop after its tuneups (during the warranty I took it to a BMW shop), they were gone. It happened more than once.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Woody’s Wheel Works has a good reputation around the web.
    OM
    Ditto, he did my front wheel on an '07 RT and it was perfect. Couple of hundred bucks as I recall, but he's local so I didn't have to ship.
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT

I hit a rock and bent the rim and blew the seal on my FJR. I did turn it to insurance. They paid for the wheel, tire,mounting and balance, wheel bearings, and made sure the axle was checked for true. The new wheel comes with no bearings so they had to buy them for me, they paid for the new bolts to transfer the rotors also. A wheel is a very expensive proposition. Use your insurance.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW