• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1300S Side stand

Yeah, I realize this, which is surprising since I’ve only been riding since 1966. First bike Honda Superhawk. Second Bultaco Metralla.

True, I might have compromised the lean angle with the pegs that were lower a massive 1 1/4 inch. However, this not a track bike, nor will it ever go near a track. The closest track to me is a 400 mile round trip. Also, the HP pegs that were stock are not spring loaded, so a solid touch is apt to cause a drop.

As I said before, my other 2 K bikes, K1200R and K1200 R Sport both had the same strange issue. I simply wondered if someone else might have had the same experience and found an elegant solution. The idea of the GT side stand is intriguing, but there is a difference in the tang that the spring attaches to that might cause interference with either the peg or shift lever.

Anyway, thanks for the input and help.

Yeah, I realize this, which is surprising since I’ve only been riding since 1966.

Oh, a rookie, eh?

Kidding!! :laugh

But getting back to business, would it be possible to weld a tang onto your existing side stand in a position which would enable easier deployment?

But getting back to business, would it be possible to weld a tang onto your existing side stand in a position which would enable easier deployment?

Maybe bolt something temporarily to the stand to see if it helps.

I plan to look into either modifying the stand, replacing it with a stand from a GT or having a swivel installed in my ankle. Of course there is always the ultimate elegant solution - carrying a forked stick to push the stand down. Actually, it’s probably just me getting reacquainted after a couple years absence.

I plan to look into either modifying the stand, replacing it with a stand from a GT or having a swivel installed in my ankle. Of course there is always the ultimate elegant solution - carrying a forked stick to push the stand down. Actually, it’s probably just me getting reacquainted after a couple years absence.

My wife had the best solution. She travels with a servant and he would jump off his bike and deploy her stand when she could not find it :)

Personally, I think carrying a forked stick in my boot might be cheaper.
FWIW, my son-in-law rode the bike and had the same problem with the kick stand. I’m leaning towards a GT stand.

FWIW.

A salvaged GT stand and mounting bracket arrived. Both the mounting plate and stand are completely different from the S stand. Fortunately, Rubber Side Up is good about returns. So, I guess I’m back to redneck engineering.

Break out the JB Weld! Things are about to get seriously agricultural around here. :brad

Odd, but the shape of the GT stand’s foot is different from the S stand. I have an Ilium foot pad with the loop, and I think I can shim it to fit the S stand’s foot. Actually, the two stand’s are completely different.

Back