Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: K1300S Side stand

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    Get rid of the lowering pegs and ride it like it was designed to be ridden!

😎
    Wrong - the OP needs to shorten his legs and grind his foot down to a more manageable size 11. Just the left foot, mind you.

that wasn't in the original post either....... a clear picture of the problem lends itself to better proposed solutions, faster..
    He did state it later.
    The additional problem is that I had to use a Verholin peg lowering kit to be able to get my feet on and off the pegs. This kit moved my feet down and forward enough to preclude me from getting my size 13s between the foot peg and shifter.

I did post a solution.
    The stands should be the same. I have lowering pegs on my GT and I use the heel of my boot to lower the stand.
    Get rid of the lowering pegs and ride it like it was designed to be ridden!
    Apparently with size 13 shoes, he must be on the tall side. Might be a little cramped riding.
    2009 K1300 GT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
    1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
    2005 R1200 RT - gone

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Wrong - the OP needs to shorten his legs and grind his foot down to a more manageable size 11. Just the left foot, mind you.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s

Gee! Tough crowd.
    Actually, these K bikes are quite comfortable for those of us of normal stature. I have little problem riding my R1200RS with the optional pegs, but Iím thinking perhaps my current situation has more to do with the width of the pegs contributing to the lack of room between the peg and shifter.

Anyway, as I said before, other than this issue, the bike fits me well and is actually more comfortable than the R1200RS. Before some wag brings it up; no, I do not have risers on the handle bars, a touring wind screen, highway pegs nor saddle bags.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomie View Post
    Gee! Tough crowd.

Anyway, as I said before, other than this issue, the bike fits me well and is actually more comfortable than the R1200RS. Before some wag brings it up; no, I do not have risers on the handle bars, a touring wind screen, highway pegs nor saddle bags.
    LOL!

i am sure you already realize this, but since the S is a sport bike, the lowered pegs have already compromised max lean angle. extending the existing sidestand nub or adding a k13GT sidestand will compromise it further. yes, even the stock peg location can hit the ground when working it (on track).
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s

Yeah, I realize this, which is surprising since Iíve only been riding since 1966. First bike Honda Superhawk. Second Bultaco Metralla.

True, I might have compromised the lean angle with the pegs that were lower a massive 1 1/4 inch. However, this not a track bike, nor will it ever go near a track. The closest track to me is a 400 mile round trip. Also, the HP pegs that were stock are not spring loaded, so a solid touch is apt to cause a drop.

As I said before, my other 2 K bikes, K1200R and K1200 R Sport both had the same strange issue. I simply wondered if someone else might have had the same experience and found an elegant solution. The idea of the GT side stand is intriguing, but there is a difference in the tang that the spring attaches to that might cause interference with either the peg or shift lever.

Anyway, thanks for the input and help.

Also, the HP pegs that were stock are not spring loaded, so a solid touch is apt to cause a drop.

I always thought it was odd the HP pegs did not fold.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Left Coast Rider
    Yeah, I realize this, which is surprising since Iíve only been riding since 1966.
    Oh, a rookie, eh?

Kidding!!

But getting back to business, would it be possible to weld a tang onto your existing side stand in a position which would enable easier deployment?

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post

But getting back to business, would it be possible to weld a tang onto your existing side stand in a position which would enable easier deployment?
    Maybe bolt something temporarily to the stand to see if it helps.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

I plan to look into either modifying the stand, replacing it with a stand from a GT or having a swivel installed in my ankle. Of course there is always the ultimate elegant solution - carrying a forked stick to push the stand down. Actually, itís probably just me getting reacquainted after a couple years absence.

I plan to look into either modifying the stand, replacing it with a stand from a GT or having a swivel installed in my ankle. Of course there is always the ultimate elegant solution - carrying a forked stick to push the stand down. Actually, itís probably just me getting reacquainted after a couple years absence.
    My wife had the best solution. She travels with a servant and he would jump off his bike and deploy her stand when she could not find it
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Personally, I think carrying a forked stick in my boot might be cheaper.
    FWIW, my son-in-law rode the bike and had the same problem with the kick stand. Iím leaning towards a GT stand.

FWIW.

A salvaged GT stand and mounting bracket arrived. Both the mounting plate and stand are completely different from the S stand. Fortunately, Rubber Side Up is good about returns. So, I guess Iím back to redneck engineering.

Break out the JB Weld! Things are about to get seriously agricultural around here.

Try the Ilium foot enlarger. You can use the heel of your boot to lower the stand.
    2009 K1300 GT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
    1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
    2005 R1200 RT - gone

Odd, but the shape of the GT standís foot is different from the S stand. I have an Ilium foot pad with the loop, and I think I can shim it to fit the S standís foot. Actually, the two standís are completely different.