• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT or R1250RT?

rogerfe

I am considering moving on from my 2002 R1150R and looking for opinions about R1200RT vs R1250RT. Also any opinion on best years for either?

Newer is better. Always.

And considering the R1250RT was only released this year, I'd say that 2019 is the best year for them...so far. :)

Newer is better. Always.

Au contraire. The 1977 Airheads were far superior to the 1978 bikes due to the implementation of new air quality standards in 1978. Those were arguably the worst Airhead engines BMW ever delivered in the United States.

Whichever you want, they're both (1200 vs 1250) really different from your 1150. It's basically the same bike with a redesigned engine. You can probably still find a good deal on an '18.

I rode a R1250RT for two weeks last month. You get better low end torque and a bit more top end. It sounds a bit different and you feel it when the cams shifts during hard acceleration. That's it.
The new TFT display is 95% the same as the old display. Seating, handling, everything is the same. The D-ESA suspension in now fully dynamic. ABS Pro is different, some other package options differ.

From '17 on, the 1200 was improved with a smoother transmission. SO the '17 - '18 are preferable IMO. The 1250 is new, I would wait at least a year for BMW to iron out any issues.

Au contraire. The 1977 Airheads were far superior to the 1978 bikes due to the implementation of new air quality standards in 1978. Those were arguably the worst Airhead engines BMW ever delivered in the United States.

Ok. I see, and concede, the point. :)

Personally, I don't feel there is enough change between the 1200 and 1250 to give it much thought. The performance of either is more than adequate, the rest of the motorcycle hasn't changed much. Buy which ever you get the best deal. 2018 RTs are available and at a great price. $5,000 off an '18? No question, I would buy the '18.

Back