Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Standing while riding

I do it too to cool the bits and add a little relief on long days on pavement but off-road it is used a lot as it actually lowers your Center of gravity as your weight is on the pegs instead of the seat plus it allows you to move around on the bike for more active bike control.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

So, the comment to just raise your ass off the seat to absorb bumps is a good one and I do that a lot on the sections where I have a smooth line memorized but still has unavoidable large bumps/slams. Some sections though are just too bad to do that and standing is really the only safe way to navigate the section at speed. You trade safe navigation for ultimate speed in going from threat recognition to full braking though as you practice riding standing up you can eventually shift and brake from that position. I am just passable at it without moving the foot controls.

One thing I do though which is related to this since I snow ski, I will ride as long as possible like a jockey with ass just off seat to get semi-isometric working of the the legs to build leg strength. I have to be very conscious of knee and foot positions and end up pinching the tank pretty hard with my knees when doing this. But not only do you get exercise and build strength to be able to ride with more weight on the pegs (also good for road riding on the twisties), you can stay down behind the wind screen with good access to controls (which you lose with full standing).

One thing I could say to those who don't ride daily is that boredom can drive you to do more experimentation and develop practice routines for mirror scanning, body positioning etc. I will have to come totally clean and say I will not be done practicing standing until I can lock the throttle and stand and steer with no hands on the bars. I am not kidding. I will draw the line however at standing on the seat. I met a guy on the road once who was finishing a cross county trip on non-slabs on a cruiser bike. When he started the trip he had just begun riding and when I ran into him in San Jose he could take his jacket off without stopping and could stand on the seat. Boredom is the mother of invention sometimes too!
    Last edited by chrisinsc; 09-05-2019 at 08:09 PM.
    Signature

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    The benefit of standing is in part gained because the rider’s mass is raised and can be used to control and correct the movement of the bike.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

I always thought this was hilarious... (even now that I own a GS)

gs-riders-looking.jpg
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Nice!
    Signature

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Standing may shift the CG forward or aft, but increasing the distance from the ground to the rider's body mass can only increase the combined CG of the bike and rider
    That's not what I've found when moving from seated to standing on the Dalton Hwy. 45mph tops seated and barely able to maintain balance due to road surface. Standing, immediately moved to 55mph with more stability and balance of the bike.

The weight is on the pegs. It was offered that the best riders become a neutral force on the bike standing. It takes a lot of practice to get there [ I'm not there yet and may never get to that level ] but I have much better control of the bike standing for the same reasons others have posted here.

Moving the weight of the rider from the seat at about 32-33 inches off the ground to the weight on the pegs which are 12" or so off the ground lowers the COG. This guy explains it in simple terms.

https://youtu.be/1pwOB5I1m7Q

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

Just putting weight on your feet and leaving your butt on the seat helps a bunch, unless the road is really rough. Then standing up works better.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    The benefit of standing is in part gained because the rider’s mass is raised and can be used to control and correct the movement of the bike.
    Not disagreeing with this but I think it's somewhat more subtle than that. The benefit of standing is that the rider's mass is decoupled from that of the bike - the bike and rider can move independently from one another (within limits). There is a longer lever arm when the rider is standing so lateral motion of the rider to control the bike is more effective. Also for large road/trail bumps, less compression damping is needed because the resisting force is reduced by the mass of the rider, and less rebound damping is needed for the same reason. This allows for a more compliant suspension overall, making the ride more comfortable for minor irregularities.

I was on my way home from a Ride Like A Pro course and got pulled over in a small town in New Jersey for standing on the pegs. I came to a stop sign, sat down and came to a complete (not rolling, whew!) stop and got lit up after I made the turn. During the ensuing discussion, the cop saw that I was from a neighboring state and commented suspiciously that I was a long way from home (about 75 miles IIRC). I pointed to my pannier which at the time showed that I'd ridden through over 30 states and said, "No, this is just a day trip". Ultimately he let me go with a verbal warning.
    2016 R1200 GSA

Re center of gravity or center of mass. Opinions do not matter. Physics is not optional.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post
    I'm gonna call my next band "Cool the Jewels".

I saw a ton of guys doing that at the National Rally. I wasn't sure why, a young lady who took the GEARS class told me they do it because it looks cool.

I have a habit of standing for a second or two once I get moving on some occasions, picked it up years ago. Less to cool the jewels and more to let my pants settle better. If that makes sense. But I'm never doing it at more than like 15 or so. If you're standing on the pegs at 70 on the Interstate, you're either braver or crazier than I am. (I have slid onto the backseat to stretch my legs on the slab).

Interesting topic.
    After about 300 km in a day, I start standing on the pegs to stretch my legs a few times an hour. I almost always do it at highway speeds, and never thought of myself as either crazy or brave. But then I have an unfared R1200R so I am used to the wind pressure from highway speeds.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    That's not what I've found when moving from seated to standing on the Dalton Hwy. 45mph tops seated and barely able to maintain balance due to road surface. Standing, immediately moved to 55mph with more stability and balance of the bike.

The weight is on the pegs. It was offered that the best riders become a neutral force on the bike standing. It takes a lot of practice to get there [ I'm not there yet and may never get to that level ] but I have much better control of the bike standing for the same reasons others have posted here.

Moving the weight of the rider from the seat at about 32-33 inches off the ground to the weight on the pegs which are 12" or so off the ground lowers the COG. This guy explains it in simple terms.

The CG of a human is located near their navel/waist. The CG of a GS is a bit above the cylinder heads. You can sum the product of weight and distance (i.e., M = weight x distance) to either a vertical or horizontal plane. The location of the reacting forces (foot-pegs or seat) doesn't matter. If it did, we would all be hovering (i.e., like a lady using a dirty toilet) to lower the CG.

Standing allows you to alter the fore-aft and lateral location CG, use your legs as shock absorbers (decoupling the two primary masses at the expense of the knee and hip joints) and provides a longer line of sight.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

The center of mass of the human body depends on the gender and the position of the limbs. In a standing posture, it is typically about 10 cm lower than the navel, near the top of the hip bones.

In sitting, the true center of gravity is not at the center of the body, but actually slightly higher with more weight on the top half of the body than the lower half.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post

Alas, "the guy explains it in simple terms" but he's dead wrong. The mass is where the molecules are. If one stands up and raises many molecules, one raises the center of gravity.

The fact that one can more easily move more of one's mass side-to-side and for-and-aft while standing is why standing can be beneficial.

Ride safe, be happy.
    Bob Stewart
    Salem, OR

2018 RT

Quote Originally Posted by stooie View Post
    Alas, "the guy explains it in simple terms" but he's dead wrong. The mass is where the molecules are. If one stands up and raises many molecules, one raises the center of gravity.

The fact that one can more easily move more of one's mass side-to-side and for-and-aft while standing is why standing can be beneficial.

Ride safe, be happy.
    All the professional off road course trainers, many world class title holders at one time, must all be wrong as well. Just amazes me how all the pros can be so wrong

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Nearly 30% of the new wave of food delivery drivers admitted to sampling the food.
    om
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200