Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Standing while riding

Oil

What kind of oil do you use on those jewels while standing
    I have a 94 R1100RS I do stand to get some relief but if I do it very often the relief from standing and stretching is offset by the pain in my knees from standing and setting

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    What kind of oil do you use on those jewels while standing
    I have a 94 R1100RS I do stand to get some relief but if I do it very often the relief from standing and stretching is offset by the pain in my knees from standing and setting
    I would use a medication called "Growaset"
    Never get to busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

2018 R1200 RT- 24.5K miles and counting

[QUOTE=R65_Steve;1178043]I'm gonna call my next band "Cool the Jewels".

I saw a ton of guys doing that at the National Rally. I wasn't sure why, a young lady who took the GEARS class told me they do it because it looks cool.

I also saw guys doing this....more than one at the National. It looked silly to me, and I agree with the young lady. It sends a message to me that they really can't ride. Of course, if you are on sand, gravel, or mud it helps. I don't recall there being any at the National .
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Not being an off-road rider, I was wondering why the folks on GS bikes do stand while riding off-road. Why do they do that?

I have done that on my RT a time or two just to see what all the fuss was about, but usually at low speed and only for a moment.

Thanks,
    William
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by WWeldin View Post
    Not being an off-road rider, I was wondering why the folks on GS bikes do stand while riding off-road. Why do they do that?

I have done that on my RT a time or two just to see what all the fuss was about, but usually at low speed and only for a moment.

Thanks,
    William
    Lowers the center of gravity, one can put weight on the front of bike while climbing and put the weight further to the rear when doing downhills. I rode the Dalton last year to the arctic circle and back. First 130-140 miles seated at 40-45mph and being bounced all over the seat, The last 60 miles I stood up, was able to move up to 55mph and had a lot more stability taking the pot holes and keeping the bike up on the loose stuff that turned slick as snot after a light rain.

The off road courses all have you standing on the pegs for a reason. It's NOT just because it looks cool. All the dirt riders on smaller bikes do the same once on the dirt. It's not exclusive GS riders. Watch the motocross races, they stand not sit. If sitting held any advantage they'd be sitting, the advantage is in standing.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Lowers the center of gravity, one can put weight on the front of bike while climbing and put the weight further to the rear when doing downhills. I rode the Dalton last year to the arctic circle and back. First 130-140 miles seated at 40-45mph and being bounced all over the seat, The last 60 miles I stood up, was able to move up to 55mph and had a lot more stability taking the pot holes and keeping the bike up on the loose stuff that turned slick as snot after a light rain.

The off road courses all have you standing on the pegs for a reason. It's NOT just because it looks cool. All the dirt riders on smaller bikes do the same once on the dirt. It's not exclusive GS riders. Watch the motocross races, they stand not sit. If sitting held any advantage they'd be sitting, the advantage is in standing.

And standing up is good form for riding over road debris like 4X4's, mufflers, and nasty potholes since your legs are used as shock absorbers and help keep you from being launched off the bike.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Yes
    Well said.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Good stuff. Thanks for the info. I meant GS riders ......well, BMW. Never thought of the motocrossers; spot on. I have seen a lot of photos with riders standing in the ON.

Cheers!
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post

And standing up is good form for riding over road debris like 4X4's, mufflers, and nasty potholes since your legs are used as shock absorbers and help keep you from being launched off the bike.
    Exactly.

It primarily allows the rider to move independently from the movement of the bike. For example, a rider sitting on the seat of the bike when it hits a rut, rock or hole. The bike is abruptly jerked to the left as is the rider. The combined weight of bike and rider are moving in the same, undesired direction, which amplifies the force of the bikeís movement. If the same thing happens to a rider who is standing on the pegs, then the rider is able to move his weight independently of the bike to counter the bikeís movement and steer the bike in direction desired.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I do not believe I have seen a photo of a GS rider sitting in the ON... I think they mandate standing.
    John.
    Atwater, CA
    2015 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    OK, but what brand Mink Oil should I use to lubricate my seat? Same for the pillion section?
    Skip the Mink Oil and apply some Atsko waterproofing spray to your riding overpants. Same effect. DAMHIK.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post

I always get my butt a few inches off the seat--no need to 'stand' per se any more than that--and use my knees as shock absorbers over train tracks, potholes, etc. I do it because I like to treat the bike as if I really like it, which I most assuredly do, and it feels like I'm shielding the bike's pricy suspension parts at least a bit by doing this.

Standing may shift the CG forward or aft, but increasing the distance from the ground to the rider's body mass can only increase the combined CG of the bike and rider
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

The benefit of standing is in part gained because the riderís mass is raised and can be used to control and correct the movement of the bike.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana