• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

18RTW triple tree swap?

515PHOTO

Howdy. Got me a 2018 R1200RT. One mod I am looking to make is moving my grips back toward me a couple of inches. Just back-not up. I need that much to get a reasonable upright position.I have quite short arms and am short overall. From reading threads on this subject and photos of them the risers commercially available appear to move the bars/grips mostly up and only a bit back.
Has anybody looked into swapping a GS upper triple tree for the handlebar assembly and source tubular handlebars of the right shape/bend? For now lets ignore the issues of wire/hose length and aesthetics. Looking a photos and parts fiche it looks like the triple tree change is possible.
Anyone done this???????

There are bar backs/risers available for the RT that do not involve replacement of the TT.

The OP states that he has read the threads discussing the products like Ilium Works, and wants a different solution. From personal experience, I can confirm that the Ilium Works extension does not provide a lot of rearward adjustment, primarily because the brake and clutch reservoirs don't have the same range of adjustment.

Here's another thing to consider, something that I have noticed using the Ilium Works extenders: As you bring the handlebars rearward, you change the angle with which you apply force to turn the front wheel. With small increments of rearward displacement, the change is subtle. But at larger displacements, the change in angle is definitely noticeable. I find it somewhat disconcerting -- like the feeling you get from trying to steer a child's wagon while holding the handle straight up.

A better solution might be a custom seat that moves you 2 inches closer. For riders like me with long legs, that is not an option.

Howdy. Got me a 2018 R1200RT. One mod I am looking to make is moving my grips back toward me a couple of inches. Just back-not up. I need that much to get a reasonable upright position.I have quite short arms and am short overall. From reading threads on this subject and photos of them the risers commercially available appear to move the bars/grips mostly up and only a bit back.
Has anybody looked into swapping a GS upper triple tree for the handlebar assembly and source tubular handlebars of the right shape/bend? For now lets ignore the issues of wire/hose length and aesthetics. Looking a photos and parts fiche it looks like the triple tree change is possible.
Anyone done this???????

I have the same issue. I'm at the lower end of average height (5'9 1/2) and find the bars too far forward by a couple inches and DO NOT want them to be higher. In fact I use the seat in the higher position just so they are effectively a bit lower. So risers are out for me.

As to using a GS upper triple tree - it seems complex. I would think the fork tubes, width, diameter, etc are probably different due to different geometry but I might be wrong.

Yes. I would think the initiation of the lean through bar input would change. Most likely it would just be different--hopefully not problematic. I have 'bar backs' on my 01RT that work but they did really move them back. I put a different set of longer bars on my 82RT. This 2018 setup is nice looking but FAR less adjustment friendly. I currently can get to a upright sitting position but I still have my elbows at lock (not good) and I am getting VERY intimate with the tank (uncomfortable to say the least) so moving forward is not the long term solution. If you do the math I get a new RT about every 18 years so setting it up correctly is important to me. (looking forward to my 2036 R3000RT)

I do see in the fiche that the stanchions between the models have different part #s--bad. But what they call the joint link-what it looks like the top of the stanchion attaches to in the top brace is the same part number between the models.

Nobody tried this wacky idea or been far enough into both bikes to endorse or deny the plan? Unfortunately I am not in a position to be the guinea pig.

Last edited:
slightly different solution

Heli-bars

I posted the link above for Helibars, which work more or less the same way as Ilium Works and Wunderlich. As made, they have the same issue of limited rear-ward movement due to interference of the clutch and brake reservoirs as you rotate back. But the difference with Helibars is that they are a welded component. So, given your 18-year expected ownership cycle, perhaps it would be worth modifying a set of Helibars by increasing the length of the set back. Cutting and rewelding the part would not be especially difficult. You can hire someone to do that for you. I think if you make the set back long enough, the reservoirs would no longer interfere. And probably you would need longer brake and clutch lines.

If you want to see if this solution would work, I think you could mock it up using wood dowels. For a small investment in time and materials, you would know if you want to keep going. And in the end, I think this solution would be less expensive. It also has the benefit of avoiding a modification to the triple clamp that would (I think) reduce your bike's resale value. Although if you intend to keep it 18 years, that may not matter to you.

Just remember that any way you bring the bars back, the result will feel like steering a wagon.

Cap

A fine idea.The mockup would be easy. I would think it needs to come back far enough that the reservoirs would fit between the new 'handlebar' and the original. The new geometry just might be a bit too wacky. I have only done one 350 mile trip so far. I will work at first adapting to it before adapting it to me. Hopefully in the meantime someone will say 'I tried that and ……………….."
Thanks all.

Back