• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wheels

firecpt12c

what is the finish on the wheels made of? While attempting to clean the wheel weight tape off my wheel this was the end result. I was using goof off and a soft rag. No tool or sharp instrument was used. The more I scrubbed thinking it was a thin layer of adhesive, the worse it got. Would love ideas.6C5CE156-175F-4EBD-8CC5-E3597F452A20.jpeg

Attachments

• B2924C01-7C6F-4BEA-B573-0DB4411AF75D.jpg
    B2924C01-7C6F-4BEA-B573-0DB4411AF75D.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 158
what is the finish on the wheels made of? While attempting to clean the wheel weight tape off my wheel this was the end result. I was using goof off and a soft rag. No tool or sharp instrument was used. The more I scrubbed thinking it was a thin layer of adhesive, the worse it got. Would love ideas.View attachment 75517

Wow - that's bad. I have changed wheel weights several times on a GTL and RT and never had this problem. After pulling the weight off with a pair of pliers (no prying) I "roll" most of the remaining adhesive off with my thumb, then use denatured alcohol to get the final bit. Apply with a cloth or paper towel and let soak for several minutes. Then gently work the residue off with a soft cloth. Don't use paper towel to rub the softened adhesive, it will scratch the painted surface.

I've been using Goo-B-Gone for years, never had a problem. Has to be more to the story. The factory finish is powder coating.

Duane

I've been using Goo-B-Gone for years, never had a problem. Has to be more to the story. The factory finish is powder coating.

Duane

I also use Goo Gone to remove adhesives.
The OP used Goof Off and some of the Goof Off products are advertised to remove paint.

Back