• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

18RTW USB stick not seen on restart

515PHOTO

Hi All,
Sorting out my new to me 2018 r1200rt. I have a thumb drive loaded with music. Turn bike on. Plug in drive. Loads up. Plays all files fine. Turn radio off. Turn radio on. Keeps playing music. Turn BIKE off. Turn bike on. "No USB". Unplug it and plug back in. All is fine. I did do a search but couldn't find an answer to this issue.
So--is there a trick to get it to see the drive on startup? I had hoped to bury a drive with all my music.
Thanks in advance!

Just for the Halibut, try turning the music off.... then the bike off.......Start the bike and try turning the music back on. See what happens.
OM

Can you switch to a different mode like FM radio before shutting off bike?
OM

Hmm. Will give that a try. I also haven't run for a while. Maybe it will eventually search for a drive attached.
Anybody have a permanently attached thumb drive that gets found on startup?

Could the file system (partition table) be corrupted? Have you tried plugging the said usb drive to your computer and see if the contents can be read?

Hmm. Will give that a try. I also haven't run for a while. Maybe it will eventually search for a drive attached.
Anybody have a permanently attached thumb drive that gets found on startup?

I have a vehicle that has all the same symptoms if I’m using AUX (iPod). As long as I’m into FM or Sirius before I shut the vehicle off, the iPod (AUX, memory stick) reboots fine.
OM

Success.
I formatted 3 different thumb drives identically. Loaded them up with music. 2 of three worked as I hoped. They were seen on startup no issues. One did not--the one I had been working with of course. Not sure why it does not like this one. It is 8 gig. Maybe a size thing? The other two are 2 and 4 gig.
The one not working well is a Kingston Data Traveler. Others are a sandisk and a conference giveaway.

Thanks all for your insight. I will move on to my next question in a new thread soon!
Cheers.

I have a vehicle that has all the same symptoms if I’m using AUX (iPod). As long as I’m into FM or Sirius before I shut the vehicle off, the iPod (AUX, memory stick) reboots fine.
OM

One of my vehicles does the same. If I shut the vehicle off with the usb playing music. On restart, it won't find the drive. Put it back to FM, shut the vehicle off, turn it back on the usb drive is found.

I use sandisk usb drives only.

I’m a fan of sandisk as well. I like them in well sealed packages.

As an aside, handed out or found in the parking lot thumb drives can be dangerous. It’s taking advantage of the human curiosity factor and can be virus laden. Good to be careful.
OM

I've been using a 4GB conference freebie, erased (not formatted) and loaded with mp3's. always available not matter how I start the bike and turn the radio on. Maybe it is a size issue (she said).

I was wondering how long it would take for the size thing to come up, so to speak.:D
My RT is the Mars Red also--nicknamed the Mars Rover.

Back