Thread: Down the Rabbit hole on a 1998 K1200RS

Down the Rabbit hole on a 1998 K1200RS

Not sure if I am posting this for the question or sympathy. Took 98 K 1200RS in for 36K and tires. Fairly big service as you know. Shop called to say after the service they found a radiator leak- $400 part - well go ahead, then called with intermediate seal leak- guess not a surprise but--now up to $4K on a $2500 bike. Next call was notchy bearings and other seals--into it now...go ahead. Last call was timing cover gasket- $600 labor. Now I have $6K into a $2500 bike. I don't think they did the timing cover gasket yet- just saw the oil on Friday. Tempted to stop the bleeding and skip it--I can buy a lot of oil for $600....but seems that we are deep into it and the bike is all apart....I am 70 years old- not likely to ride the value out of it.
    Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum.
    I had the timing chain cover leak fixed on warranty.
    Most of the timing chain cover leaks I have seen were mirror and they would not be a big deal to just clean off from time to time.
    The rear seal has to be fixed because it can ruin the clutch. Hopefully your clutch is still ok.
    If I was you I would stop answering the phone

One of the moderators will probably move your post to the Flying Brick section.
    Last edited by Lee; 09-03-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

K1200RS rabbit hole

Thanks, Lee. clutch was ok In for a penny....will have them finish it off and take it for enough long rides to get my money out of it....I now have a restored K1200RS....God knows I spent as much money in 80's dollars on airheads....

If you love the bike, and have the bucks, fix it and keep riding. Just don't let the wife see the totals.

You probably don't need me telling you, but a smarter move would have been, when the first big estimate came in, to look at your options. Good low-mile K12RSs can be had for under $3000 now. K1200GTs, too. Of course given their age, there is no guarantee that their rear main seals won't be going out on you in short order, unless they've recently been replaced.

Another option is to find a good, non-dealership mechanic who can do things like replace those seals for less than the umpteen grand that the dealers get.

Thanks Jeff. I will pick up my”restored” K1200RS tomorrow and ride like the best $6k bike anyone ever bought! What the heck, enjoy it. I could have traded it on one with its own problems

I think that the cost of having these bikes service is bringing down the resale value of the bikes. The last two bike I pick up where for this reason. Both people got sticker shock when they saw what it was going to cost. Both bike had no miles to speak of, and they where always run just no long trips. They both look like new, well taking of not left out in the weather. One just 20 and the other 19

I sold my 2000 KRS with 130k.
    It was my best bike.
    I’m older 71 and it was time.
    Received $1900 for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thomas Sells
    00 K1200RS, 03 F650GS & a 06 Ural Patrol

Mehrten
    Ned, the OP, lives in my larger neighborhood and we met up for lunch after he got his bike back.

It looks real good, sounds real good and should give him many more years before any major work might be required.

Most importantly, he is happy with his "restored" bike and that's what really counts.

As a side note, I did the same thing on our 2002 K1200RS, the only difference being I did the work rather than have it done at a shop.

Even so, I put two or three times $$$ into the bike than what it's worth...and she makes me smile every time we ride her!

JohnWC
    That's a lot of money to put into a bike that will never sell for anything close to that. You certainly have my sympathy. For what it's worth, you could look at it from another angle. If you had gotten"airhead fever" and paid $4,000 for a forty year old bike, you would still need to put about $3000 in parts onto it. For that $7,000 you would have nice looking, but antiquated machine that wouldn't begin to compare to your K bike in brakes, power, comfort, suspension, etc. And from my experience, those numbers are not exaggerations.

Quote Originally Posted by jconway607 View Post
    That's a lot of money to put into a bike that will never sell for anything close to that. You certainly have my sympathy. For what it's worth, you could look at it from another angle. If you had gotten"airhead fever" and paid $4,000 for a forty year old bike, you would still need to put about $3000 in parts onto it. For that $7,000 you would have nice looking, but antiquated machine that wouldn't begin to compare to your K bike in brakes, power, comfort, suspension, etc. And from my experience, those numbers are not exaggerations.
    Ain't that the truth, the price of an airhead. Ridiculous, but the're still my favorite motorcycle. But I've wised up with age and knowing at a minimum you'll be doing a top end reseal and a RMS almost certainly, I won't pay too much for one. You need to really buy right when it comes to airheads.