• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

45TH FINGER LAKES RALLY, Nothing to write home about.

DAVEHENRICKS

I wanted to really see what the Finger Lakes Rally was all about so I went up with 7 other guys to check it out. It have been told that that rally was really nice years ago, but it looks like those times have past. We were totally disappointed with this rally compared to other rallys we have been to. There were no real vendors there to speak of. Just a couple selling used parts and gear. Only one very small dealer with hardly any things to sell. The camp grounds are nothing to write home about either. I guess we were comparing it to other rallys or the famous Black Diamond Rides Rally from years ago in the Poconos. Now that Rally in the Poconos was one of the best. Sorry to say, we won't be going back to the Finger Lakes any time soon to go to that Rally. The area is really beautiful, but it is over priced and everything is expensive. The Black Diamond Riders should bring back their Rally.

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for updating people on the rally...a shame you didn't have that great of a time. I notice there are some older threads in the Similar Threads pane below on past Finger Lakes Rallies.

I attended the rally this year, my first for this rally. Though I decided to leave Sunday to avoid the rain, I thought things were well done, the grounds are somewhat dated, but more than adequate for a comfortable stay. I had a great time and met some wonderful people. Ive always considered rallying about the people, sharing experiences, travels and the tales of life. But then, I've little interest in farkles. Expensive is relative I guess, I found some out of the way places and good food deals. Overall great time.

I would like to thank the vendors who provided door prizes;

Kissel Motorsports
Sargent Cycle Products
Motoquest
Aerostitch
Airhawk
Adaptive Tech
Touratech
Suches
Clearwater Lights
A & S MotorCycle
FLBMW Club
Grease Ninja
Suburbam Machinery
Helmet Sunblocker
Beemer Boneyard
Watkins Glen Sporting Goods
Motorcycle Gear
Rok Straps
Dynaplug
MOA
Spincycle Products
DWA Pickle
Twisted Throttle

Loads of stuff given away very generous. No I didnt memorize these, I copied from the program, I thought they deserve mention. Maybe next year I'll win something.

Every club rally has a different flavor, and not all appeal to everyone. Personally I don't expect to find vendors at the smaller rallies. For me it's more about checking out the local rides and attractions, and of course meeting old and new friends. A lot of effort goes into setting up a rally. If I find one that disappoints me in some way I simply don't go back; there are others to choose from.

This was to be my year for Finger Lakes, but the sidecar was down with subframe issues. Maybe next year. My fave so far is the Top of the Rockies in Paonia. Even my dog loved that one!

GoofyTulliver.jpg

I wanted to really see what the Finger Lakes Rally was all about so I went up with 7 other guys to check it out. It have been told that that rally was really nice years ago, but it looks like those times have past. We were totally disappointed with this rally compared to other rallys we have been to. There were no real vendors there to speak of. Just a couple selling used parts and gear. Only one very small dealer with hardly any things to sell. The camp grounds are nothing to write home about either. I guess we were comparing it to other rallys or the famous Black Diamond Rides Rally from years ago in the Poconos. Now that Rally in the Poconos was one of the best. Sorry to say, we won't be going back to the Finger Lakes any time soon to go to that Rally. The area is really beautiful, but it is over priced and everything is expensive. The Black Diamond Riders should bring back their Rally.

Considering the cost of transporting product, I would be greatly surprised if any vendor attended a charter club rally. Honestly, many vendors at the national only offer a display of samples and a coupon for a discount that can be redeemed when ordering on-line.

Relative to the Black Diamond Beemers, 2016 seems to be the last on-line info.

Welcome to the site Dave.

We used to attend several MOA weekend rallies each year and I don't remember any of them having a major vendor.

If you want a lot of vendors you need to attend the National Rally that's held each year in a different location.

Just my 2 cents

I see this is your first post. Times have changed Dave. If your idea of a rally is shopping, I suggest the national. The internet has replaced vendors at small charter rally's. I, too, had gone to the Black Diamond rally's and only recall one local dealer selling items there in the registration area. Black Diamond rally's are no more due to the cost of the use of Indian Head Camp. Their registration fee was comparable, if not slightly higher than the Finger Lake rally. There were never any ice cream or beer and wine vendors at Black Diamond or any other charter rally's that I recall. Instead of bashing a club for trying to put on a rally where individuals can come, relax, meet friends and make new ones, have two meals, showers, great door prizes, entertainment, and food and drink (where the proceeds support the club so this event can happen), try thanking the club for their hard work to host this rally so individuals, such as yourself, have a rally to go to.

Last edited:
Crossfire 3006
Well said.............

Don't bitch and moan. Offer to help. Make useful suggestions.

Dave Henricks, how many events have you hosted?
How many weekends have you given up putting on events for your fellow riders to come and enjoy?

I'll bet your a Taker in Life. Not a giver!

If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it.

Jason

Sorry you didn't have a good time Dave. It seemed like everyone else did, especially the ones who won some of the expensive Major Door Prizes donated by Kissell and the many others. Did you camp on site and enjoy the campfire each night? Band? Movie?
The attendance has been dropping slowly since I started attending the rally in 1999. I would've liked to have more choices for breakfast like in the past but I did not go hungry. The dinners were very good and 2nd's were free.

My biggest problem was that all the pretty girls wouldn't leave me alone so I could do more riding :hug:love:kiss

Perhaps.............We should take a pause and review the conversation

All,

While the OP may have offended some, it does point to a shift in what the national and club rally's have become. For some, that change, few (or no) vendors or loss of venue, has been a loss. Whether the MOA or local clubs can do anything about is a different issue.

In my opinion, the local and national rally's should be considered weekend camping trips which may include a few meals and some entertainment. The days of the rally retail experience are in the past due to the economics of the retail market and proliferation of BMW models. Similarly, loss of venue, is often a result of the property/facility owner needing to cover expenses.

Sadly, not all of us got that memo from upper management and are disappointed when we encounter the current reality. Instead of criticizing that reaction, we should just note the reality of the situation and move on.

Our first Finger Lakes Rally

As I lay here in my tent at the RA Rally, worrying about what the day will bring to a stretched thin staff At the dealership, I feel compelled to comment about my experience at the Finger Lakes Rally. I personally had a great time riding up, enjoying the beautiful weather and being around other people that love BMW motorcycles.
I met so many new people that were very appreciative of our efforts to be there as a vendor! As a vendor, it’s a lot of effort to make it happen, so thank you to those that stopped by our tent to express their appreciation and/or make a purchase!

As someone who plans and organizes an annual ADV Rally (Soggy Bottom Motofest) I’m fully aware of the planning and effort it takes to put on a first class event. I’m so appreciative to the BMW Finger Lakes club for hosting this annual event and for inviting us! You guys do a great job and we will be back next year!

To the OP, I’m sorry we didn’t bring enough merchandise to make it worth your while. What we did bring (and more): Full size runs of BMW Rally (both colors), Enduro Guard (both colors), GS Dry, Roadster Jackets, Ladies Tourshell, Ladies Downtown Jackets, Gloves, Hats, T-shirts, Rain Suits, All Around Boots, Summer Sneakers, Polos, Shoei Neotec II’s with the new Sena SRL2 systems, Nav VI units, tank bags, tail bags and much more. All told, we had over $30,000 in gear and accessories there. Also, our “little” dealership as of 6/19 was now ranked 23rd out of 150 plus dealers in the US in sales volume. So, sorry we didn’t meet your expectations, any recommendations will be considered.

Now, time to crawl out of this tent and rock the RA Rally! We are Dunlop’s exclusive tire installer and will also be offering base level service all weekend. Lots of gear and accessories too. Hope you can make it!

Josh Nolten
Co-Owner/GM Kissell Motorsports and BMW Motorcycles of Tyrone

As I lay here in my tent at the RA Rally, worrying about what the day will bring to a stretched thin staff At the dealership, I feel compelled to comment about my experience at the Finger Lakes Rally. I personally had a great time riding up, enjoying the beautiful weather and being around other people that love BMW motorcycles.
I met so many new people that were very appreciative of our efforts to be there as a vendor! As a vendor, it’s a lot of effort to make it happen, so thank you to those that stopped by our tent to express their appreciation and/or make a purchase!

As someone who plans and organizes an annual ADV Rally (Soggy Bottom Motofest) I’m fully aware of the planning and effort it takes to put on a first class event. I’m so appreciative to the BMW Finger Lakes club for hosting this annual event and for inviting us! You guys do a great job and we will be back next year!

To the OP, I’m sorry we didn’t bring enough merchandise to make it worth your while. What we did bring (and more): Full size runs of BMW Rally (both colors), Enduro Guard (both colors), GS Dry, Roadster Jackets, Ladies Tourshell, Ladies Downtown Jackets, Gloves, Hats, T-shirts, Rain Suits, All Around Boots, Summer Sneakers, Polos, Shoei Neotec II’s with the new Sena SRL2 systems, Nav VI units, tank bags, tail bags and much more. All told, we had over $30,000 in gear and accessories there. Also, our “little” dealership as of 6/19 was now ranked 23rd out of 150 plus dealers in the US in sales volume. So, sorry we didn’t meet your expectations, any recommendations will be considered.

Now, time to crawl out of this tent and rock the RA Rally! We are Dunlop’s exclusive tire installer and will also be offering base level service all weekend. Lots of gear and accessories too. Hope you can make it!

Josh Nolten
Co-Owner/GM Kissell Motorsports and BMW Motorcycles of Tyrone

You and your dealership are GREAT!

First time

It was my first time attending a rally so I have nothing to compare it to. I will say that I had a good time. The weather was perfect. I did a lap around Seneca lake and rode down to Corning to visit the glass museum that was way more interesting than it sounds. I thought the club did a great job organizing and put in a lot of effort to make sure things were timely and clean. I also met a lot of nice people and hope to return again next year.

I'll bump this bad boy to the top again. It was my first FL as well. Regarding the site, incomparable. As I understand it, this rally used to pull in excess of 1000 and given that there was under half that, I can't imagine how full the ground would have been then! There was sun if you wanted, shade if you wanted. The facilities were well done and the showers free and hot. The food was fine, I never went hungry. The beer, wine, ice cream and snacks kept everyone (save perhaps for the OP) happy. And the riding... OH THE RIDING.... That area is completely plastered with great riding. The amount of used gear for sale was amazing. The smattering of local vendors there were welcome and the overwhelming support by Kissel was incredible and greatly appreciated. Even the rain on Sunday night couldn't ruin an otherwise great weekend. I made some new friends, saw some old ones and had a great time. Looking forward to next year!

I started going to "local" rallies in the midwest and great plains in 1984. For several years we attended more than a dozen up to 16 or so rallies every year. Attendance ranged from one or two hundred to over a thousand. A few were considered "regional" rallies like Finger Lakes. The Iowa Rally and Top of Rockies come to mind. In more than 100 such rallies only a small handful ever had vendors. Falling Leaf, Bavarian Mountain Weekend, and Iowa did some years and not others. That is not what local rallies are for - we have local dealers, Amazon, eBay, and others for that. Rallies are about the people - friends and folks that soon will be. Tech tips around the campfire. Actual work undr a shade tree several times. The Airhead rotor I loaned to people to get them home on five or six occasions, and it always came back in the mail. Rallies are not a shopping trip. They are social events. I am sorry the OP felt differently.

Back