• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Limp Mode

tn_bear71

Not sure if this is on another thread, if so my apologies. I have a '15 R1200GSA and went for a short ride today. Stopped and topped off with fuel and overfilled a bit. On the way home it went into an error mode I think is called Limp Mode. Fortunately it was only a block form the house so I made it home. I got the following reading from the GS911:

Fault Codes : 3
|
21FA22 : Exhaust flap servomotor, mechanical fault or blockage
Currently present : YES
Engine warning light (MIL) : NO
Frequency count : 255
Logistic(Healing) count : 40
..Fault Code History :
....Record number : 1
....Odometer : 63852.0 mls
....ABS time : 16173384
....Vehicle speed : 0.0 mls/h
....Engine speed : 0.0 rpm
....Battery voltage : 12.52 V
....Throttle valve angle relative to throttle valve stop : 15.04 %
....Record number : 2
....ABS time : 16209740
....Engine speed : 1279.0 rpm
....Battery voltage : 14.25 V
....Throttle valve angle relative to throttle valve stop : 2.83 %
....Record number : 3
....Odometer : 63945.8 mls
....ABS time : 3523079
....Engine speed : 1177.0 rpm
....Battery voltage : 14.12 V
....Throttle valve angle relative to throttle valve stop : 0.73 %
|
21FA21 : Exhaust flap servomotor, adjustment error
Currently present : YES
Frequency count : 255
..Fault Code History :
....ABS time : 16173553
....Battery voltage : 13.33 V
....Throttle valve angle relative to throttle valve stop : 15.01 %
....Record number : 2
....ABS time : 16209840
....Vehicle speed : 12.6 mls/h
....Engine speed : 2215.5 rpm
....Battery voltage : 14.21 V
....Throttle valve angle relative to throttle valve stop : 8.89 %
....Record number : 3
....Odometer : 63945.8 mls
....ABS time : 3523007
....Battery voltage : 12.35 V
....Throttle valve angle relative to throttle valve stop : 15.01 %
|
21FAA9 : Level 2 monitoring of throttle valve 2, setpoint exceeded
Currently present : NO
Frequency count : 1
..Fault Code History :
....Odometer : 63944.5 mls
....ABS time : 3522154
....Throttle valve 2 angle, level 2 : 0.51 %
....Permissible throttle valve opening for throttle valve 2, level 2 : 0.49 %
....Twistgrip position sensor : -0.68 %
....Engine speed : 1800.5 rpm

I am aware of the first two, was that way when i bought it. The 3rd is new. I started it and idled fine after sitting for a bit while I hooked up the GS911. No further codes. I didn't have a chance to take it for a ride to test it (family emergency). I am wondering would overfilling it cause an issue like this? I am trying to debug what I need to do. Water in the gas? Any and all ideas will be considered. lol

Thanks in advance.

Brian

... I am trying to debug what I need to do.
Brian

The GS911 has a "reset all adaptations values" function. Look at the "functions" menu. Should recalibrate your throttle position and twistgrip sensors.

As an aside, have you verified that your exhaust flap is all the way open?

The GS911 has a "reset all adaptations values" function. Look at the "functions" menu. Should recalibrate your throttle position and twistgrip sensors.

Will give that a try now.

When I got the GS911 I notice the error and checked the exhaust flap then. It was in the fully open position. I'll recheck it. Have some rear brakes to install today as well.

Thanks for the update.

Problem Solved

I re-calibrated the throttle position sensor and the twist grip sensors and all seems in order. Only had time for a short ride but no issues. I plan to ride it to work tomorrow so fingers are crossed it was just a glitch. I am glad I bought the GS-911. Thanks again for your help.

Brian

There is a service bulletin out that addresses bikes that present with certain TPS fault codes. Those bikes will have the acceptable tolerances of signals sent by the TPS increased. Last summer Annie’s 17 R1200GS with about 2000 miles went into limp mode. A few minutes on the dealer’s computer and it has been okay for over 22,000 miles.

Experiencing my first limp mode on a 2016 with 20k mi.

Has this dangerous phenomenon been more clearly diagnosed???

Not really. I had it once on my 2016 RT power reset and thousands of miles later, no issues. I think the problem is solved, but, not really sure what caused it.

Back