Thread: Ride the Blue Ridge rally

Ride the Blue Ridge rally

Anyone going to the Blue Ridge Rally from north Georgia? I understand that in all their wisdom they have spread gravel over lage parts of the BRP so I'm looking for alternative routes

Loose Gravel?

Iím headed to BRP October 13-18. Any firm data on where and if this loose gravel or the adhered gravel you usually see?

According to thier web site, they are doing a Pavement Preservation which adds gravel to the surface during the process.

They claim updates on construction/closures on this link https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?m...36.767/-81.096

YMMV, please ride alert.
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by WWeldin View Post
    According to thier web site, they are doing a Pavement Preservation which adds gravel to the surface during the process.

They claim updates on construction/closures on this link https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?m...36.767/-81.096

YMMV, please ride alert.
    That sounds like what is called a "chip seal" or "chip and seal" where a layer of oil is applied and a thin layer of new rock is spread and rolled in.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I just got back.

The gravel isn't that bad. It's really lite and small. The stretches are clearly marked and the speed limit is 35 in those areas. Yeah, it's kinda of a chip seal job, but not an overtly application. Traction control maybe engaged twice that I'm aware of.

Most of it is in NC from below Little Switzerland to Boone but it alternates, you won't be riding it the whole time in that area. Maybe experience a couple of 15 minute delays from the lanes being split so the crews could dry the sealer.

It isn't going to sour a trip up there.