• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

gear oil in rubber boot

RICH7196

its the old gear oil in rubber boot.. running synthetic.. took about 2 table spoons out.. should i live with it.. or change over to 80w next time i change.. its not coming from transmission. i know this topic has been covered.. just wondering what you guys think.. thanks , Rich

I would install Castrol 80w90 Limited Slip. This is dino oil, it meets specs, has a high sulfur content.

I would also note that the pinion seals often seep a small amount of oil in 12K miles which I wipe up as part of a major service.

Last edited:
Pauls recomendation is sound.

I rarely see completely dry units.
It appears that synthetic oil seeps along the castle nut threads easier than dino.
Resealing with pipe sealant with teflon on the threads will solve the issue but it it
requires a special socket along with a holding jig to re&re.
And the castle nut is TIGHT! I use a 3' breaker bar.

Attachments

• IMGP0704a.jpg
    IMGP0704a.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 91
Another data point for you..
My '00 1100RT had a weeping pinion after synthetic oil was put in it at Ozzie's in Chico CA. When I got home I drained it and put in Castrol 80/90 Hypoid Gear Oil, GL5 rating. This is Dino oil. The leaking stopped after going back to what it came with originally. Non synthetic gear oil.

Back